LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who is Joe Overton ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 08:45 AM

im probably the opposite of most people here.

i LIKE the fact that shops keep their cam specs to themselves.
youre paying for their experience and expertise to give you an edge over the other guys.
giving those specs away afterwards makes you a douchebag.........its basically like you are stealing future business from them.

if youre not a competitive racer or street racer, then you really dont need every last ounce of power from your setup.......then just get an off the shelf cam and thatll be enough for you

besides, overall, its good for the market.

how?

the shops that really know their **** will have customers cars that impress people with awesome times or win events.

over time, more people will head to those shops because the reputation gets around.

thus, the shops who have the knowledge and experience will prosper and keep getting better, and the shops who dont put in the effort will falter or never grow.

i dont want to give my money over to some shop who is just copying someone elses specs. they didnt earn that.

it also breeds competitiveness between shops, always trying to improve on their designs to get up on the other guys. hell, just look at what the the vendors on LS1tech are doing.....theyre breaking 500rwhp on the stock bottom just trying to beat the other shops!

Last edited by got_hp?; 02-10-2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:49 AM

Based on some practical experience and a bit of theoretical knowledge I am happy to share what I know about cams with others. However, it's not my "job". If it were, I would expect people to pay me for my time. None of you work for free, right? As far as giving out the specs of a "custom" that I paid for, I might or might not. But in any case, it wouldn't really do someone else much good unless their setup were identical to mine. That's the whole point of a custom - it's supposed to be specific to your application.

Rich Krause
Old 02-10-2004, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by rskrause
Based on some practical experience and a bit of theoretical knowledge I am happy to share what I know about cams with others. However, it's not my "job". If it were, I would expect people to pay me for my time. None of you work for free, right? As far as giving out the specs of a "custom" that I paid for, I might or might not. But in any case, it wouldn't really do someone else much good unless their setup were identical to mine. That's the whole point of a custom - it's supposed to be specific to your application.

Rich Krause

thats another good reason not to give out custom cam numbers

some idiot out there will put a cam in, without all the necessary supporting components to make the cam work properly...........then they go on the internet flaming the shops cam design and saying how it sucks blah blah blah.

even though the person is to blame, its still damaging to the shop because those type of people never tell the whole story.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 AM

As I said its purely your opinion...the guys posting here posted on their own ..they were not liasons sent here to help me with selling any cams...As I said before if I didnt sell another cam it wouldnt bother me..So you can have your opinion I respect that..At the same time however ,you may not however mock up one of my cams...But seeing how Crane took a interest in what I'm doing I guess theres sponsors on the board here that would also...So take it for what it is..as I said I'm not in the cam business as it were..and just so you know the first few cams were free..but when it starts taking up time I dont think anyone will argue what I charge for my help... I dont think anyone would argue my love for the f-body and the lt1 for that matter ..Or I'd surely be running somethingt else between the fenders...Having a love for your hobby is great..But you cant expect everything handed over on a platter from a fellow hobbiest..As for those on my page you mentioned, there are others.... one day I'll get around to updating it....and also to compare apples to apples I've already had a car run 11.9 with a smaller cam than the 847 with stock heads,stock alloys all around on a drag radial,on factory stock suspension..so though what you done is good ,its not like what you have cant be better..Just dont expect the info to fall from the heavens into your lap,purely because you think it should be shared for the love of the hobby.. So the guy running a tad faster than you paid 100 bucks more for a custom grind..question is would you have paid 100 more to be ahead of him....
Old 02-10-2004, 02:18 PM

I agree with the last few replies. Maybe when our young board member leaves school and starts his career he will see that time is money and there are no free lunches. These guys Bret and Joe also love the sport and hobby of the f-body, but I'm sure they have better things to do then dole out free info. Remember not everyone on these boards post there Rwhp and 1/4 mile times. I think you have all the answers maybe take the free advice that you have gotten from your talks with the other shops and use it. Then you can post your cam specs for everyone to see.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by rskrause

Rich Krause
No it likely wont do anyone else much good to run the exact thing, BUT they can learn from it and improve upon it. They can see, well with this combo, and this set up, this is what happened. Maybe i will mess with the ICL a little to get a little more velocity comming through those hogged out heads of mine, it will work even better. Then the next person can take it from there Very generic example, but you get the point.

Joe-
This convo could be endless. If i wanted to beat the 11.9 stock headed guy of yours, i bet I could pull out my spare tire, jack, and stereo system in the back (all of which i ran 11s with IN the car) and win (thats at least 100lbs). Thats also an automatic, so not really apples to apples, more apple to oranges comparison. Then with the $100 I saved, buy my friend lunch who helped me pick out the cam. jk jk

You've been very professional throughout all this, we disagree. Nothing else can be said that wouldnt be repetitive. Cheers.

Last edited by atljar; 02-10-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
one thing i do not understand...lol how can u run such ****y times with 452 rwhp?
<-----Puts on a flame suit
Damn man that was kind of harsh. Granted with the HP I have I don't have a great timeslip time to post but there's more to my setup than just all out HP. I'm still nursing my stock 10 bolt back there with a 6 speed how about you? Leaving at 2-2500 rpm max has a lot to do with my time. I see video's all the time of cars pulling the front up pretty hard and running good times and that's a result of the decent 60'. I leave the hole fairly lightly, the front end doesn't jump up impressively just raises up a bit and I start to pick up speed from there. The one thing about MY car is I've been consistent in the way I drive it so I tend to base the performance on what I have gained, I thought we all did?

Judge me on where I was at before I got Joe's cam and my heads ported which was a 12.95 @ 109 with stock 16" 245's on all 4 corners running a cc306 and the stock box AFR heads. Now I'm running 12.02 @ 116.86 and that was with 17" 275's on all 4 corners. I'm very happy with the gain. For more reference my best all bolt-ons time was 13.27 @ 104. I picked up 1.25 seconds and almost 13 mph running more weight and more rolling resistance with the H&C.

Is that ****ty too?

Old 02-10-2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by 97 WS6 T/A Conv
For more reference my best all bolt-ons time was 13.27 @ 104. I picked up 1.25 seconds and almost 13 mph running more weight and more rolling resistance with the H&C.

Is that ****ty too?

My best bolt on time was 13.1 at 103.5. I gainged 1.2 seconds and 12 mph with a cam swap alone

Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by atljar
My best bolt on time was 13.1 at 103.5. I gainged 1.2 seconds and 12 mph with a cam swap alone

Old 02-10-2004, 04:20 PM

Hey Gary,
This thread brings back memories doesn't it What is it about joe's cam and your car LOL......
Old 02-10-2004, 04:21 PM

My best bolt on time was 13.1 at 103.5. I gainged 1.2 seconds and 12 mph with a CAM SWAP ALONE

Old 02-10-2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by 4drLT4
lol, call it as you want. You are welcome to go back and search for my old posts.

Cam + rockers + valve springs + new tuning. Oh ya, i also put in an electric h20 pump. YOu can knock off a tenth and 1 mph for that.

While I was at it, also replaced opti/FP/wires/plugs. I dont consider those mods though. Maintaince.

I find it funny that i have been a member for 3+ years and have so many people calling BS on that. Oh well.

Last edited by atljar; 02-10-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:42 PM

Here i'll even save you all the trouble. Geeze

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...highlight=13.1

Old 02-10-2004, 05:00 PM

lol, call it as you want. You are welcome to go back and search for my old posts.

Cam + rockers + valve springs + new tuning. Oh ya, i also put in an electric h20 pump. YOu can knock off a tenth and 1 mph for that.

While I was at it, also replaced opti/FP/wires/plugs. I dont consider those mods though. Maintaince.

I find it funny that i have been a member for 3+ years and have so many people calling BS on that. Oh well.
I called BS on a cam swap ALONE...which is what you implied in your post. Of course the RIGHT cam, higher ratio rockers, replacing potentially tired valve springs, and especially an excellent tune, can now approach something along the lines of what you claimed. Let me also say that replacing plugs, wires, and the opti, along with what appears to be a fuel pressure reg for tuning's sake, is NOT insignificant....and probably helped achieve your gains.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:08 PM

I'm backing up Altjar here, I remember his posts, and that gain from the cam swap is legit.

Quick Reply: Who is Joe Overton ?