LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who is Joe Overton ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 383 Blwn Bird
I agree with the last few replies. Maybe when our young board member leaves school and starts his career he will see that time is money and there are no free lunches. These guys Bret and Joe also love the sport and hobby of the f-body, but I'm sure they have better things to do then dole out free info. Remember not everyone on these boards post there Rwhp and 1/4 mile times. I think you have all the answers maybe take the free advice that you have gotten from your talks with the other shops and use it. Then you can post your cam specs for everyone to see.

Kevin
Good post Kevin,

One thing I think most guys would be suprised of is the guys out there who don't post times and numbers on things. One reason why is that the $400 camshaft they had just made them $500 last saturday night. True most street guys just want a fast car, some street guys want the fastest car. I think the more demading you are on what you want out of your motor the more important the parts are in the motor. A custom cam is usually just one small part of it. We are talkign about awesome driveablity and stupid rwhp numbers or cams that have to work well to 7000rpm but also with a 2500 converter, or say you want to run boost and N2O. Maybe it's a different intake manifold setup, maybe bigger cylinder heads, maybe smaller cylinder heads whatever there are some cut and dry motors out there, but there are motors out there that really wake up with a better camshaft.

Hell I would bet my requirements for a cam for my motor are completley different from what Joe's personal car needs. He's looking for 9's and I'm looking for 6th gear and 1200rpm without any ill side effects, plus power to boot.

Personally Joe is right, altjar think what you want. I have enough stuff to do in a day that the only way you are going to get free anything out of me is that if I feel up to it, I like you and I know you aren't just hounding me for free stuff. If you ever wonder how guys get sponsored or get free parts from a place it's because that place knows who they are working with and that the guy is going to give them something in return.

Funny thing is I would like to see some of Joes specs, but that's just because i'd like to re-enforce my guess as to what they are. You could describe to me the changes in the power curve and how it drives and I could tell you what changed on the camshaft. Does it mean I'm going too? It's like poker, I can sit there watch you bet and have a dam good guess as to what you have in your hand.

On the other end of that I'm sure you could give Joe or I your motor & car specs and what you were looking for and get almost the same camshaft specs, as in duration, lift, LSA and ICL. Other things will be different because Crane and Comp don't grind the same camshafts. We might use different supporting hardware also.

I look at BBC stuff, SBF race motors, circle track motors, different LT1 combinations, LS1 and SBC stuff. In the end they all come down to a camshaft with duration, lift, LSA and a ICL, understanding what changes you make to that and then what they will do is the first really big step to cam selection. There are more beyond that but most guys need help getting thru the first step.

Bret
Old 02-10-2004, 05:24 PM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
Joe,

I just e-mailed you. Heads are off the car. Your more than welcome to work your magic on them. Of course I need one of those custom solid cams to go with that.

This is Neal by the way. We have talked back and forth through e-mails. Cash in hand and wanting to go faster.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by atljar
lol, call it as you want. You are welcome to go back and search for my old posts.

Cam + rockers + valve springs + new tuning. Oh ya, i also put in an electric h20 pump. YOu can knock off a tenth and 1 mph for that.

While I was at it, also replaced opti/FP/wires/plugs. I dont consider those mods though. Maintaince.

I find it funny that i have been a member for 3+ years and have so many people calling BS on that. Oh well.
Hahahaha, see you are already adding mods to your "cam swap ONLY claim! Want to add some more, we won't hold it against ya.

I don't care how long you've been here newbie. It was BS before and it's BS now.

Did you know that when people spread their own BS to much they start to believe it? Might want to keep that in mind.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by LPE Z convt
Hey Gary,
This thread brings back memories doesn't it What is it about joe's cam and your car LOL......
This is some crazy she-it Chris.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by 97 WS6 T/A Conv
Hahahaha, see you are already adding mods to your "cam swap ONLY claim! Want to add some more, we won't hold it against ya.

I don't care how long you've been here newbie. It was BS before and it's BS now.

Did you know that when people spread their own BS to much they start to believe it? Might want to keep that in mind.
OK, who in their right minds would swap a cam into an otherwise stock setup?? I mean really?? Not even the hotcam. Pretty much everything he listed is done on your run of the mill cam swap.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by atljar

I had pretty similiar mods to you (long tubes however and gears) and ran 13.1 (12.76 SAE corrected times). Go run her and see how she does. A great launch is the key.
Corrected huh? It appears you loved use that word often. So let me ask you this is your current timeslip corrected or would that put you in the 11.5's with just a cam? 2 more lousy tenths and you'll have Taner asking you for advice.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:04 PM

Who here hasn't changed valve springs or added rockers with their cam swap? Seems stupid not to, and I doubt stock worn out springs would hold up to what the 847 demands.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
OK, who in their right minds would swap a cam into an otherwise stock setup?? I mean really?? Not even the hotcam. Pretty much everything he listed is done on your run of the mill cam swap.
I'm aware of that '93 I'm just twisting his words a bit.

Back to the topic;

Lets go a different direction here. For every person out there that has a problem with my car instead of criticizing it and myself how about you fill me in on what I should do to go even faster. Obviously Joe didn't get it done in your opinion (though I am quite happy) so set him straight for me.

I mean you guys believe in helping each other for free right? I'm all ears.

Pay attention Joe you are about to get SKOOOOOOLED!
Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 PM

Joe who?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:33 PM

Back to the topic;

Lets go a different direction here. For every person out there that has a problem with my car instead of criticizing it and myself how about you fill me in on what I should do to go even faster. Obviously Joe didn't get it done in your opinion (though I am quite happy) so set him straight for me.

I mean you guys believe in helping each other for free right? I'm all ears.

Pay attention Joe you are about to get SKOOOOOOLED!
For the record, I think your car is awesome. People are expecting you to run into the deep 11's, but aren't taking into account your suspension setup, weight, ect. I think you've got a killer car, and it's worth bragging about just for the amazing numbers on the dyno if none else.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:38 PM

altjar you had to mention my car weight. I suggest if you want to run fast put that car of yours on a diet. I don't buy this just think how fast I would run at someone elses weight. The lighter a car is the more critical the traction is. Also can you think of any na stockhead 6 speed Lt1 street cars that run 1.48 shortime at any weight. I personally think that my car is a combo and that your car at my weight wouldn't be close. But you could prove me wrong. Frank95z

Last edited by Frank95z; 02-10-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:52 PM

For the record, I think your car is awesome. People are expecting you to run into the deep 11's, but aren't taking into account your suspension setup, weight, ect. I think you've got a killer car, and it's worth bragging about just for the amazing numbers on the dyno if none else.
Thanks '93 Well at least someone understands there more to timeslips than just outright HP.

I have an idea, is someone wants to offer me a better stock bottom end package than Joe has put together I'll be glad to throw it in my car and see if gets a better time slip for ya.

Personally I'm not much of the arguing type but it is getting old listening to the criticizim from others with out a hint of some constructive words to go with it. If it isn't right, fine, point it out and then tell me what I can do for it to be better.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:25 PM

wow, u sure are a dumbass Since when do u just change the cam when doing a cam swap on a fbody. Shows how much you know about working on cars....i guess thats what happens when you pay people to work on your car

and then, your car still cant run better times then a stock headed car.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
wow, u sure are a dumbass Since when do u just change the cam when doing a cam swap on a fbody. Shows how much you know about working on cars....i guess thats what happens when you pay people to work on your car

and then, your car still cant run better times then a stock headed car.

You're calling me the dumbass when you can't even fk'n read?

Originally posted by Joes94TA
..and just so you know the first few cams were free..
And just what makes you ASSume I paid anyone to work on my car? Ooooops! Way to go DUMBASS! If you're implying anyone but me put the parts on the car wrong again.

Now for the record I am not a good driver I admit that (you got me there ) and I have stated that in many of my threads so to anyone that is running faster than me all motor with a stock head 6 speed. You all Rock! I'll even add to that a just for atljar for his 1.6 60'

Last edited by 97 WS6 T/A Conv; 02-10-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
12.7 @ 115 MPH w/Stock Heads
CC306/Street Twin/Moser 12-Bolt
Are you kidding me? You talk about how I run with my car and YOU can't pull anything better than a 12.7 while trapping 115?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

I admit I suck at driving! What on earth is your excuse?!?

Quick Reply: Who is Joe Overton ?