LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Who is Joe Overton ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 11:15 PM

With my 847 cam i made 381rwhp and 351rwtq...

Lets just keep this about is the 847 cam a godd cam in this set up ... and how much power would a cus cam make over this cam...

What other custom cam places are out there ...what about cam motion..(i think)...

thx
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by atljar
And i wish you all the best, and likely you will make good power! Im just saying nothing has run well yet. I know you've always been a big supporter of Joes cam and how it runs. I look forward to seeing how it runs/dynos.
Maybe this summer i will get a hold of you when i visit my brother in cinci and we can go check out your local dragstrip.....
Old 02-09-2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by LPE Z convt
Maybe this summer i will get a hold of you when i visit my brother in cinci and we can go check out your local dragstrip.....
Now that sounds like FUN.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:46 PM

Wow ...somebody directed me to this thread, and I have to say i appreciate the comments here.... I think alot of people get upset when people dont tell cam specs...but this is my aspect on on things..first cam specs is the biggest kept secret in motorsports history.....and second I didnt intend initially from the onset to do cams for the amount of people I have so far..it started out with a guy coming to me looking for more out of his setup...so i designed a cam for him and it put down some really impressive numbers ..since its one of the very first cams I'll relish the specs somewhat 226/232@.050 . that cam put down 399 rwhp and 368 ft torque with a stock bottom lt1,ported heads with a 4l60e..then ofcourse the 452 rwhp car already mentioned... Its kinda snowballed from there I guess..I now do R&D for the lt1 and ls1 cam line for Crane cams.I never thought it would go that far ,but I am excited about it to say the least...

Anyway I started out purely for enjoyment being a emic for accel and tuning gen6 and gen7 also doing the very first testing on the ls1 gen7... I'm a freight broker by day which I've owned and operated since 95' which is my bread and butter...the cam thing came from guys i done cams for and word has just gotten around.. It does take time to factor in everything on a particular setup to grind a cam that will work best for them..I take in consideration everything even the persons tuning ability since that has alot to do with how much they can get away with..If I see soemthing that would benefit their combo I'll also tell them that or ask if they plan on changing anything. that way ..if they did, the ca m i would do for them would work even better down the road..So I try to look ahead a lil at the sametime of trying to get them more than what they have or what a off the shelf can give them...Just recently I just designed a ls1 cam that put down 419rwhp uncorrected with stock ls1 heads which I'm kinda excited about also..... I think the cam spec aspect of it all is what people get overly concerned with..and to be honest if I was in the cam business as it were and i depended on making a dime I'd market the cams..but since i dont and its purely mainly to help people with what I've learned and developed..I dont give specs because people that do come to me wanting a cam..wants something different ,a edge if you will...and to post specs of a cam i do for them wouldnt be right on my part...they paid for a custom grind and the power it gives and I try to give them what they pay for....if they wanted to run like everyone else they would have purchased a off the shelf to begin with...another reason is since I'm not in the parts selling business as it were is ..I dont want people that would sell off or copy what I've done..if that makes any since...and its happened time and time again..theres a many a case where people would buy a cam put it on cam doctor and next thing you know Joe Blow (no pun intended ) starts selling what someone else has put there time and energy into.. It may not be the exact same but still i think you get the point...anyway thats little about myself .If you want something different let me know ..if you just want info or information,which I get alot ..I'm the wrong guy,and I'll be the first to tell you go elsewhere...guess I'm picky on who i help ,but its not hard to tell whos genuine and who isnt now a days....the good thing i guess is up to this point the people who have gotten one of my cams was content enough with the way it performed,that they dont want to share specs...90% of the cams i do are different in one way or another...sometimes i wish 1 certain did work best in all combos then i could grind a bunch of 1 cam instead of 5-6 different ones at a time ..sure would easier..

to the times on the 452rwhp car factor a driver only been to the track twice in a year, radial tire , 3800 lb convertible,6speed,and the 7.5 glassjaw out back..that 12.0@116.9 was done with a 1.86 60 ft. ..
Old 02-09-2004, 11:58 PM

hey guys i think clint in the drag section just ran 11.6 with one of my first 226@.050 cam... i think this year you wont be disappointed times will show
Old 02-10-2004, 12:07 AM

Joe-
Im one of the biggest so called doubters, but you said everything very well, thanks for the response

I think most people (including myself) get riled up about not telling XX/XX about there set up because this board was founded to help others and share knowledge. Comming on the board and posting hp / track times and then say "but im not telling you XXX about my cam" isnt cool in my book. We arent racing in the NHRA finals, and we arent making money by being faster than that other lt1 in california. We are all here to make our cars faster and enjoy driving them. If you arent here to help and or learn, then I must ask, whats the purpose of posting and participating within the board?

I know months ago i was working on a set of heads and I emailed you about getting some work done on them. Never heard a response, that turned me off too.

No problem with charging for you knowledge and making money from it. Thats the american culture and way. Dont blame you one bit for doing it. I just dont care for all the people talking about your cams and what they do on the board, without spilling the beans for the afore mentioned reasons.

Last edited by atljar; 02-10-2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:28 AM

hey and thats your opinion...nothing wrong with that...by the way that 847 cam works good doesnt it Sharing things and helping others is what I basically do or I'd never ground the first cam...So what your saying is because I'm a board member I should lay out my time and effort even on my own car so everyone can build what i have or copy what i do???Or is it so you can call up a cam grinder of your choice and grind you one 100 bucks less ..I'm just asking you see..Just trying to understand here.. becuase basically thats what your implying...If you think thats a obligation on my part,guess I'm just a bad person then.. Shame on me...see how many real racers tell you what their cam specs are..wont be many and theres a reason..f-body world is more competitive than you think...not everything thats in ones sig. is whats really done to the car dont be so modest..I think Even Brett posted somewhere where ..you get specs when the checks cleared so to speak..then its up to you to share specs...since you paid the premium..I doubt if you had a cam ground that worked well...you'd share specs then again who knows..but I know the majority wouldnt ....now if the cams didnt work you'd see tons of posts talking about that..just curious how many have you seen like that??? and you still think I should share info on what someone purchased.just because I'm a board member?? ..sorry not my call..if they decide to fine once they have it ..Its their call..
Old 02-10-2004, 12:54 AM

By the way that 847 cam works good doesnt it
Sure does. In all honesty, i had never heard of the grind until it was recommend to me (free) by someone in very similiar shoes as what you are now (been through countless cams in their own car, and found what had and hadnt worked). When i posted the specs of the cam i was thinking about on the board, i was scoffed. Did some more research, and went through with it. Few months after i had mine up and running, i started seeing the grind pop up here and there, and making really nice power.

Sharing things and helping others is what I basically do or I'd never ground the first cam...So what your saying is because I'm a board member I should lay out my time and effort even on my own car so everyone can build what i have or copy what i do???Or is it so you can call up a cam grinder of your choice and grind you one 100 bucks less ..I'm just asking you see..Just trying to understand here.. becuase basically thats what your implying...If you think thats a obligation on my part,guess I'm just a bad person then.. Shame on me...see how many real racers tell you what their cam specs are
Sharing and helping is free. Charging is a business. No problem with whatever route you chose, but cant have it both ways. If you are charging, why arent you sponsoring? If you are helping, then help.
Im not trying to imply that i would go grind the cam, or re-package and sell. Everything done to my car is fully laid out, nothing hidden. I would have no reason to copy it from the point i am at right now. Im not going to be faster by swapping, already running with 90% of the heads AND cam cars in the county (including faster than several on your web page)

I doubt if you had a cam ground that worked well...you'd share specs then again who knows..but I know the majority wouldnt ....now if the cams didnt work you'd see tons of posts talking about that.
So far Im not doing too badly with stock heads (how many stock headed cars (full weight) are in the 11s? Give me the weight of Franks 11.40 stock headed car and see what mine does then.) I get lots of emails/IMs asking me this or that, my opinion on things. Always willing to help out a fellow enthusiast. Thats just the way i am. Heck, ive even given out my tune to a few of the 847 guys to get them a baseline (which ive spent endless hours at track, street and dyno perfecting) I do it because i want to see everyone do well. See above about my cam choice, i was one of the first two to run it and talk about it (ellis was other).
f-body world is more competitive than you think...not everything thats in ones sig. is whats really done to the car dont be so modest
I would venture to guess that 99% of the people out there are completely honest about their setup.

F-body world more competitive than I think? We are talking about hydro roller cams between, lets say, 210-240 intake. Very vague. Nothing competitive about that, other than in brackets (which faster ET doesnt matter that much). These arent all out SR cams in race cars in the 250/260 range and high 600 lifts. Its mostly street cars for christs sake. There isnt a competition other than wailing on the rice at the strip.

Guess in the end I'm doing it all for the love of going fast and drag racing. I love having a car that will spin the tires from a 3rd gear roll. Whenever i can share, i do. With that being said, i am off to help a guy with a datamaster file (for free)

Last edited by atljar; 02-10-2004 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 AM

I guess I will never fully understand the reasons for "hidden" cam specs either. I would just want to help other people on the board reach their goals with their car to the best of my ability, but everyone is different, good luck!

Brandon
Old 02-10-2004, 01:13 AM

Heck, ive even given out my tune to a few of the 847 guys to get them a baseline (which ive spent endless hours at track, street and dyno perfecting) I do it because i want to see everyone do well.
Could you possibly send me a copy of the file as well? I'm about 90% decided I'm going with that cam (stock heads).

jonaadland@verizon.net

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Jon A
Could you possibly send me a copy of the file as well? I'm about 90% decided I'm going with that cam (stock heads).

jonaadland@verizon.net

Thanks!
LOL
Sending...
Old 02-10-2004, 01:36 AM

Thanks man!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 AM

no problem
Old 02-10-2004, 08:16 AM

well said atljar. I can understand keeping cam specs secret for all out drag cars like joes car. But most of us here are not shooting to have fastest lt1s in the country or whatever.
Marcin
Old 02-10-2004, 08:33 AM

I would venture to guess that 99% of the people out there are completely honest about their setup.

The 1% may be a bit larger than you imagine.

Quick Reply: Who is Joe Overton ?