LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Thinking About An LT1 vs LS1 Shootout For GMHTP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 03:11 PM

Loved that issue Johnny...Just got it in the mail yesterday....still reading it though....

GM High-Tech Performance Mag.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:40 PM

You can play with all your rules. To many and you will ruin the fun.

Everyone has his/her own version of a street car. If it is a DOT approved tire, what is the problem?

Noise limitations on fast guys, come on, find another track. The only fast cars out there that I have seen are the GN's running 11's quietly. I have yet to see any LT1/LS1 running faster than mid 12's quietly, not even close. I am going for the most quiet setup I can and it will still be loud compared to most.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CANTONRACER
You can play with all your rules. To many and you will ruin the fun.

Everyone has his/her own version of a street car. If it is a DOT approved tire, what is the problem?

Noise limitations on fast guys, come on, find another track. The only fast cars out there that I have seen are the GN's running 11's quietly. I have yet to see any LT1/LS1 running faster than mid 12's quietly, not even close. I am going for the most quiet setup I can and it will still be loud compared to most.
that rule pretty much states no longtubes and cam combo
Old 10-25-2002, 06:59 PM

Oh stop cryin' about the noise rule. Most of you have no idea how loud 94 dB actually is. It's not like we're actually -- gasp -- asking you to be smog legal. Break down and spend $34.95 at Radio Shack. Take the meter with you next time you go to your local track. Better hurry though, you've only got, oh, 8 months or so to figure it out.

Street cars are not race cars. They have to be reasonably quiet or else you'd get a ticket every time you take it out.

The rule says absolutely nothing about excluding long-tube headers, cams, heads, etc. In fact, pretty much everything you can stuff under a hood will be allowed.

On photos: This is how you will be initially judged. Do you really want to take a chance on the quality of the photo or the age of the photo? If you can't drop a few bucks on a roll of film and developing, don't bother asking to get in.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Johnny Hunkins
Oh stop cryin' about the noise rule. Most of you have no idea how loud 94 dB actually is. It's not like we're actually -- gasp -- asking you to be smog legal. Break down and spend $34.95 at Radio Shack. Take the meter with you next time you go to your local track. Better hurry though, you've only got, oh, 8 months or so to figure it out.

Street cars are not race cars. They have to be reasonably quiet or else you'd get a ticket every time you take it out.

The rule says absolutely nothing about excluding long-tube headers, cams, heads, etc. In fact, pretty much everything you can stuff under a hood will be allowed.

On photos: This is how you will be initially judged. Do you really want to take a chance on the quality of the photo or the age of the photo? If you can't drop a few bucks on a roll of film and developing, don't bother asking to get in.
johnny-
i have no problem dropping a few bucks on film , its that I'm going to college right now and i'm 700 miles from home without my car. I've droped $10k into my car and another $1500 is coming in safety alone. Never mind the nitrous and all this stuff I am buying RIGHT NOW. I think thats plenty for a college kid to dump on a car.
- sorry if i offended you but i get aggrivated when people say "dont be cheap" when it comes to my car. It just seemed like that comment was directed towards me. Its just a VERY VERY big pet peve of mine. But if it wasn't directed towards me, I have no problem appologizing

Anyway I am going home next weekend but if you really need these pictures ASAP, well then i better send you pictures i have now with the old rims. If its that big of deal I'll ask my mom to take 5 pictures and mail it you.

cheers
Old 10-25-2002, 07:37 PM

You've got some time on the photos. Take them when you get out on fall break. Shoot an entire roll.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:41 PM
Banned

You've got some time on the photos. Take them when you get out on fall break. Shoot an entire roll.

you got it
Thanks man! i'll get them this weekend!
Heres one to get you excited
Old 10-25-2002, 08:46 PM

I forgot to mention that I have no idea how loud 94db is though. Could be no one here comes close or many are over?
Old 10-25-2002, 10:03 PM

Let me put it this way: Englishtown runs its Wednesday and Friday night programs with this sound rule. There are usually more 10-second cars than you can count on those days. Many of them didn't pass when the rule originally came around, but as regulars, they had to comply, or not race.
Old 10-25-2002, 11:04 PM

Johnny: from where is the dB measurement taken?

Rich Krause
Old 10-25-2002, 11:18 PM

i thought he said the burnout box in an earlier post.....
Old 10-25-2002, 11:51 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
I'll be getting everything ready this weekend. I don't want to miss a chance to smack around some LS1's

If anyone is interested, here is a short clip of my car in action.

http://www.turbogm.com/turbotony/rac...20vs%20LS1.mpg
Old 10-28-2002, 02:48 PM

Let me put it this way: Englishtown runs its Wednesday and Friday night programs with this sound rule. There are usually more 10-second cars than you can count on those days. Many of them didn't pass when the rule originally came around, but as regulars, they had to comply, or not race.

Ok, this should clear up this issue once and for all hunkins. Tell us how you measured the Db's. Give specifics. What distance, what RPM, did you kneel down to ground level or stand up? There is to much "GREY" area for us guys from the south to travel that far to be turned away. Your last issue was not clear on exactly how you measured and there are to many different stories going around on how it was done.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:18 PM
Administrator

The rules are from http://www.etownraceway.com

RACEWAY PARK NOISE REGULATIONS

ALL FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY RACERS READ THIS!
Corredores de los Viernes el la noche y los Sabados en la tarde
FAVOR LEER

Raceway Park has implemented a new sound level policy for Friday Street Night and Saturday muffled racing. The maximum sound level for these days is 90 db from 100 feet away.
NO EXCEPTIONS!
Some suggestions to achieve these desired levels are:
1. The biggest chamber style muffler you can find.
2. Do not use "bullet" style mufflers, Glasspacks, or collector mufflers as they are too loud to meet the desirable level.
3. Use exhaust pipe before and after muffler, tailpipes if possible
We are trying to achieve a "street" sound level. Noise is a problem for many racetracks, it is imperative that all Friday and Saturday competitors adhere to the new rules. There WILL BE NO GRACE PERIOD, if you are too loud you will not race.
Raceway Park is not trying to drive anyone away. The street program is vital to our business and we appreciate you as our customer. These steps are being taken to ensure the future of the street program at Raceway Park.
Please, do not regard this letter as only a request, it is a requirement. Understand this is being done to comply with our current noise regulations. If you want to db test your vehicle, Radio Shack has a meter part number 33-2050 for around thirty dollars. If you do not want to buy the meter or you think your car is quiet enough we will gladly check the decibels at Tech Inspection at no charge, but remember if it is to loud you will not race. The proper settings for the meter are:
· Response slow
· Weighting A scale
· Take the readings from 100 feet from the back of the car under load or when you let the clutch out is should read 90 db or less.
We thank you for your cooperation with this new requirement. Your complete compliance will enable our track to continue operating the Friday Night and Saturday programs for your racing pleasure. Please feel free to call us at (732) 446-7800 should you need any assistance in meeting this requirement. Thank you for your cooperation.
Raceway Park Management

For further information please contact:
Raceway Park - 732.446.7800
info@etownraceway.com
Old 10-28-2002, 08:37 PM

What do you want on the tech sheet?

When do we need to have the info in?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by KatFish Racing; 10-28-2002 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking About An LT1 vs LS1 Shootout For GMHTP