LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Thinking About An LT1 vs LS1 Shootout For GMHTP

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 07:30 PM

"no dump pipes"...would this include turndowns after the mufflers, even if the car is emissions legal and under the 94 dB limit? i dunno if i'll be quick enough or if my exhaust will fall within the rules, but i'll send info after i get to the track with my new setup. IMO this is a good idea, especially if Krause shows up. maybe you could drag George and Fred out there too?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:03 PM
Banned

I'll join team LT1

nothing major compared to the rest ofthe guys...
unless i get that 12 bolt and slicks

then i'm looking for 10's so at least i'll be running with the pack so to say

Last edited by treyZ28; 10-23-2002 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:19 PM

i could probably join team LT1...CC306 is goin in this weekend
Old 10-23-2002, 08:23 PM

Can i play again?? I promise i won't break.. WEll ok i don't promise.. If iwas to say have a stroker.. can i come again???Brian Well put.. I had a great time.. I"ll help too if need be.. i don't mind.. just try for some more favorable cond (weather)
Old 10-23-2002, 08:26 PM

Do you guys at GMHTP think the magazine will ever become monthly instead of bi-monthly?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:30 PM

I'll be in depending on the cut-off date only 1hr 30min away Please let us know Johnny! Well see what a 168,000 mile LT1 can do
Old 10-23-2002, 09:41 PM

Cool

sounds great to me..just need to know when this is going to take place..got a wet kit that should turn some nice times in mind I think my setup would make a nice addition to team LT1...

let me know the date

Brad Adkins
Old 10-23-2002, 09:46 PM

johnny,

may have to give Bob Dalton a call for another get together..

got the juice on the 385 now doing lots of dyno tuning....

its all on my site..

Last edited by 385LT1; 10-23-2002 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:00 PM

Looks like the LT1's are gunning to win. I like all the enthusiasm and I wish I could participate in it but im too far away and probably too slow for most. I wish all the LT1's the best, sounds like there are some beasts out there.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:13 PM

I've been thinking about this idea. I like it, but there would need to be some classes to make the competition more meaningful. If there is a class for true street cars, I would have a good shot at that class. To me, "street" means that all emissions equipment is in place and functioning. Another consideration is that for this class, no parts should have been removed/replaced for the puposes of taking weight off. It'd be fairly easy to police, just a visual to be sure the interior is all there, AC and heater installed, etc. and a weigh in: car must meet a minimum which is equal to the "curb weight" as listed in the GM product literature. Most "true street" cars will be a lot heavier than OEM weight anyway due to the weight of added components like roll bars, power adders (if any) etc. There could also be a "modified street" class with a lot fewer rules. Obviously, there could also be a bolt-on class, a "NA modified" class, and a power adder section for each class depending on how big the event was going to be.

My point is that without some way to separate the disguised race cars from the tru street cars and to avoid having a car such as mine go up against a bolt-on or NA car. You really want to see some close, fair, heads-up racing if it's going to be any fun.

Anyway, I will be sending Johnny a letter tomorrow,. I am up for this for sure, especially considering what changes I have in mind for the winter. Don't be so sure that the LS1's are going to win!

Rich Krause
Old 10-23-2002, 11:36 PM

Spring. sounds doable.

that is if I have my heads/cam, nitrous combo in by then, or stoker/nitrous, or blower/nitrous, eh, descisions, decisions.

and i think i got you all beat, I live 15 mins away.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:46 PM

Awesome issue, and the bolt on shoot out rocked!!!

I would like to see something in the same format for the LS1 cars first. I see a ton of sigs with "13.0 stock slipping clutch" and 13.20, bone stock", so let's see if anyone out there really does run 12's with a stock or bolt on LS1 (besides you guys )

That may not be what the rest of LT1 tech guys want to hear, but I am curious and I think it would be fair to do the same format for them first...

A LT1/LS1 shoot out is enevitable, though. I think it would be a great article, and I can't wait until next year to read it. The argument that the LT1 has better aftermarket support and is more affordable vs. th LS1 has more from the factory and has more potential has been going on since the LS1 made it's debut...

I would like to join team LT1, but it will take an act of God to get the prettyZ in the 12's, let alone the 11's!!!

Scott
Old 10-24-2002, 06:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by rskrause
I've been thinking about this idea. I like it, but there would need to be some classes to make the competition more meaningful. If there is a class for true street cars, I would have a good shot at that class. To me, "street" means that all emissions equipment is in place and functioning. Another consideration is that for this class, no parts should have been removed/replaced for the puposes of taking weight off. It'd be fairly easy to police, just a visual to be sure the interior is all there, AC and heater installed, etc. and a weigh in: car must meet a minimum which is equal to the "curb weight" as listed in the GM product literature. Most "true street" cars will be a lot heavier than OEM weight anyway due to the weight of added components like roll bars, power adders (if any) etc. There could also be a "modified street" class with a lot fewer rules. Obviously, there could also be a bolt-on class, a "NA modified" class, and a power adder section for each class depending on how big the event was going to be.

My point is that without some way to separate the disguised race cars from the tru street cars and to avoid having a car such as mine go up against a bolt-on or NA car. You really want to see some close, fair, heads-up racing if it's going to be any fun.

Anyway, I will be sending Johnny a letter tomorrow,. I am up for this for sure, especially considering what changes I have in mind for the winter. Don't be so sure that the LS1's are going to win!

Rich Krause

I agree. I was thinking about this at breakfast. I think that the car would have to be street car. Not in terms of cats or emssions but things like tires. I have seen many cars with gutted interiors as daily drivers but I have to see anyone drive to work on 12'' slicks and skinnies up front.

IMHO- things that make up a street car
nothing more that nittos or comprable (no et streets)
Passangers seat
glass windows
some kind of stereo
Fuel injection
no wheelie bars
no parashoots (sp?)
runs on pump gas
the noise level again- no bypassing mufflers.
Again- this stuff is all relative

To have people come in with a f-body chassis and block and throw them all together in one big shoot out is less meaningfull than having a supercharged/turbocharged class and a NA/Nitrous class (we should really limit the hp of the nitrous too if you do something like this. theres really no point if people are going to spray 300 shots, might as well be blown)

Either way though- I'm fairly confident I'm not gonig to win since this really is my only steet car and I'd be luckey to hit 10's right now but more is in store-
i'm mailing my info out now
Old 10-24-2002, 07:03 AM

No ET/Streets? I have ET streets on my daily driver. THey stay on it all summer long. I drive 90 miles to the track, run mid 11's and then drive 90 miles home on them. I think drivablility is more the definition of a street car than pure equipment.

If my times are fast enough. I plan on driving to NJ from Illinois in the car, run high 10's while stomping some LT1's and driving it home.

That is a street car.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:07 AM
Banned

No ET/Streets? I have ET streets on my daily driver. THey stay on it all summer long. I drive 90 miles to the track, run mid 11's and then drive 90 miles home on them. I think drivablility is more the definition of a street car than pure equipment.

you drive to work every day with et streets on?
you my friend win the award for biggerst *****

Quick Reply: Thinking About An LT1 vs LS1 Shootout For GMHTP