LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Thinking About An LT1 vs LS1 Shootout For GMHTP

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:13 AM

Thinking About An LT1 vs LS1 Shootout For GMHTP

After seeing how well our LT1 bolt-on shootout went this summer, I'm seriously thinking about doing an LT1 versus LS1 shootout.

This would be by invitation only (like the previous story) and would be conducted at Englishtown sometime in the spring or summer of 2003.

I think this would be a "center body mass" hit with GMHTP readers.

In order to maximize the relevance to our readers, it would be strictly for street cars. There would be few rules regarding modifications, but they would be strictly enforced, just as they were for the LT1 shootout. I expect this to be largely an 11-second and 10-second gathering, so don't be afraid to step up.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

We organize the groups in teams: Team LT1 and Team LS1. We select team members based on their best proven prior performance and their ability to travel to New Jersey for the shootout.

Any modification is allowed including stroker motors, nitrous, turbos, blowers, etc.

All cars must produce a current, valid insurance card for their particular vehicle. No "company insurance cards," no "dealer insurance cards", no "temporary" insurance cards. Only insurance cards for that stated vehicle.

All cars must be muffled. Rear exiting tailpipes only. No dump pipes or cutouts. (you can have them, just can't use them). Maximum decibel level in the burn-out is limited to 94 dB. No exceptions. Exceeding this results in immediate disqualification. This is a major limitation enforced by local ordinance and the track, so there is zero tolerance. "Street Legal" race cars need not apply.

All cars must be licensed and have a current vehicle registration in the owner's state of origin.

All vehicles must be driven by the owner. No sub drivers.

All vehicles must have all safety equipment required for their ET in accordance with NHRA rules. Driver credentials and chassis certification will be required below a 10-flat ET--no exceptions. Chances are, you won't pass the sound test anyway, but we're just covering ourselves. Note: you are responsible for knowing what your car requires, so find out in advance and get these things taken care of!

Any tire allowed. Any suspension/chassis modification allowed. Any '93 - present F-body allowed. If you've got some other GM body with an LT1 or LS1, we'll look at it on a case-by-case basis.

If you are interested, send a vehicle photo, tech sheet, contact info and time slip photo copy to: McMullen Argus Publishing, attn.: Johnny Hunkins, Dept. LT1 vs. LS1 Shootout, 299 Market St., Saddle Brook, NJ 07663.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:22 AM

lol i'm in the high 12's you think i can win lol btw put me on TEAM LT1

i'll smack down a few ls1's
Old 10-23-2002, 11:40 AM

Why only 4th gens?
Old 10-23-2002, 11:47 AM
Ai

Well.. I didnt see it mentioned, so if it was sorry.. but...

What would the entry cutoff date be?

thx

-Phil
Old 10-23-2002, 12:43 PM

you guys are gonna kill us, there ALOT more built LT1's than LS1's,
Old 10-23-2002, 01:10 PM

When is the cutoff? I hope to make a pass mid November with my new set up.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:52 PM

Johnny, first I have to say this. I got my latest issue in the mail yesterday... WOW! You guys really nailed it. Probably one of the best issues I have read. You and Jim did a fantastic job with the LT1 bolt on shoot out and I am proud to say I was part of it. I had alot of fun with it. I went out to find some extra copies cause mine has a couple pages messed up from the mail... I CANT FIND ONE. They seem to be all sold out of that issue!. Great job guys! BTW, if you ever decide to do something like that again, give me a call. Hind sight being 20/20 I thought of a few things that might have made the day go even smother.

As for the LT1 VS LS1... I'll put some stuff together and send it to ya soon. And If I dont get selected to be in it, give me a shout. I'll be more than happy to help out with the tech side of things. My car is close to being race ready again. All I need is to pick up my new tires and hit E-town for some trophy marathons.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:57 PM

I am just curious what kind of race track doesnt allow cutouts? Is it an 1/8th mile track or something? I have never been to a track where someone didnt have a dragster with open headers. What is the deal there? Why wouldn't you want to come to a place like www.hpt.com where you can run as loud as you want?

But about this idea, I think it would be good to knock some of those LS1 owners off of their "LS1 is god" high horses and show them what a Gen II small block chevy can do!
Old 10-23-2002, 04:09 PM

I would love to participate as part of "Team LT1" and will send the requested info. What date do you have in mind?

Rich Krause
Old 10-23-2002, 04:15 PM

I'm definately in if the car is runnin by then. Is it gonna be a heads up race(run what ya brung)? or a best out of 3 runs or something?
Old 10-23-2002, 04:15 PM

Rich Krause would be cleaning up the LT1 category for a true emissions legal street car (quiet too)

I would entertain bringing my car out, probably would have spray by then...although i may not be lower than 94dB Borla, LTs, no cats...I would be shooting for some low, low 10s....possibly high 9s.

Jason
Old 10-23-2002, 04:24 PM

Hmmm.....guess I need to get my buddy to cough up the cash to finish his project 95Z28 1LE completestripper w/ a forged 4BM 7.2:1 comp LT1 +26lbs of Vortech running through an Aftercooler. Also guess we'd better look into some diesel truck mufflers and that whole NHRA license thing. All that's left to get it up and running is the cage and the aftercooler.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:21 PM

is this going to be for 10-11 sec cars only or are you gonna invite some slower cars like me too. also when are you going to be picking out cars for this shoot out. thanks
Old 10-23-2002, 05:36 PM

This is definetly off topic but do you have a listing or something of places where i can find gmhtp magazine? I am having a real hard time finding it in Grand Forks, ND. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-23-2002, 07:00 PM

Well this sounds like a hell of an idea. Of course I feel the lt1s will be outgunned. I think the ls1s have gotten far greater aftermarket support as well as having a superior motor from the start. Bolt-on ls1s are running faster times than some stroker lt1s. It would be interesting to see what us old school guys (lt1) can produce to counter the superior ls1s. Maybe I can learn from what some of you guys have done. I would love to participate but I hate finishing last so I'll be happy just spectating and filming.

Quick Reply: Thinking About An LT1 vs LS1 Shootout For GMHTP