Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro-from the horse

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 03:39 PM
cmc

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't want a Camaro to feel like a big luxobarge inside (no matter how damn nice they are), I like how it feels now. I think that the exterior should just sorta shrink in a bit to match the interior size.

Also, I don't want it to park like a luxobarge. Just imagine about 12-18" chopped off the ends, the wheels flared out (think like the BMW M3, or like the way the IROC Z's wheels sat out from the body), the width being about the same (or at most 5 inches narrower), and of course T-tops. Make it bright red, give me some red leather seats with HUGE side-bolsters, and a 6 speed manual transmission -- I'm sold!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:46 PM

Those dimensions sound just about right to me.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:53 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IZ28:
But the thing is not only did the Third Gen handle incredible and look great, it didn't have the engine in the dash, that converter thing wasn't as pronounced...</font>
Wasn't that "converter thing" (floor hump) a direct carry over from the 3rd Gen?

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.
(Hey, I'm a college boy I can't afford gobs of bolt-ons!)

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:06 PM

Nope. It was almost unnoticable in the Third practically unde the seat. Its right on the side of the lower console on the 4th's, it looks like they have no room in there compared to the nice space the Thirds have.

I agree on the IROC-Z looks. IMO a 5th should be a combination of all Gen's (except 4th, but a thing or 2 from it probably would be OK) with some new ideas too, but the aggressive and musclecar design and look of the Third's/IROC-Z's should be put in there somewhere definetly. (as much as possible )
Old 07-10-2002, 05:09 PM
cmc

I'm still for an all-new look with only light heritage. Maybe the original "Z/28" logo on the Z28 model, the same Camaro red/white/blue logo, things like that. I gave the IROC Z as an example of a car with aggressive body-side styling, especially in the flared-fender department.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:12 PM
cmc

On my '87 the cat hump is directly in front of the seat, just next to the console.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:59 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmc:
I'm still for an all-new look with only light heritage. Maybe the original "Z/28" logo on the Z28 model, the same Camaro red/white/blue logo, things like that. I gave the IROC Z as an example of a car with aggressive body-side styling, especially in the flared-fender department.</font>
I'm with you on that too.

Old 07-10-2002, 11:20 PM

Yeah, but its gotta have some cues and stuff. The converter thing in the Thirds is way better than the 4ths, and Z28 is a RPO, RPO's don't have /'s, some1 figured that out way back and its been that way since.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:31 PM

Hey IZ28,I think we agree that we've got more pressing things to do rather than disagreeing on the "slash" in Z/28....like getting Chevy to once again embrace the rich heritage of Z/28...rather than try to flush it down the crap*er, like they did with the 4th gen.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:44 PM

You said it there dude. Everytime I hear about SS being "top" I just get crazy. SS?? Top CAMARO=Z28, its that simple.

Z28
Old 07-11-2002, 12:15 AM
cmc

It'd be kinda nice to standardize the "Z" to identify the top-end/specialty vehicles.

Corvette Z06
Camaro Z28
...?

Imagine "Impala Z53" for a limited-production 5.3L V8 Impala with some sort of suspension/appearance package, things along those lines.

Seems sensible to me.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:41 AM

Talking

How bout' Impala Z11 with aluminum fenders and hood complete with a cold air induction from the windshield cowling.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:20 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Z28Wilson:
Wasn't that "converter thing" (floor hump) a direct carry over from the 3rd Gen?

</font>

Yes, you are correct, it was a direct carryover. The floor pans and the rear suspension were direct carry-overs from the 3rd gen to the 4th gen, as far as what I have been told.

As a previous owner of a 1989 Camaro RS 5.0 and a current 1999 Camaro Z28 owner, I can tell you the hump was just as pronounced in the 3rd gen as it is in the 4th gen... people are kidding themselves if they say otherwise.

Old 07-11-2002, 10:42 AM

I agree with this:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...the hump was just as pronounced in the 3rd gen as it is in the 4th gen... people are kidding themselves if they say otherwise. </font>
I was just driving my Camaro around the other day and noticed the hump again. There is virtually no difference in the humps on my 1990 Camaro and 1999 firebird.

I agree with IZ28 about some of the packaging/dimensions on the third gens. Engines are easier to work on. The T-tops are bigger. I seem to have a little more headroom. However, there are also things I like about the shape of the 4gens... the integrated shape and feel of the cockpit, the improved T-top stowage, and the increased structural rigidity overall (achieved in part by reducing the rear hatch opening size).

I don't see how they're going to shave off a lot of size in the next Camaro. In fact, I hope that's not one of their primary goals (sorry!). Instead, I hope they keep it about the same size and give it more rear legroom, perhaps using the Holden Monaro as their overall configuration model.

------------------
NBM 99Formula, DF Lid, K&N, SLP WS6 Takeoff Muffler | DFGreen 98 GTP, Insulated SLP K&N, !U!Res, transcooler
| Dark Red Metallic 1990 IROC-Z Camaro, stock
Old 07-11-2002, 12:45 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BigDarknFast:

In fact, I hope that's not one of their primary goals (sorry!). Instead, I hope they keep it about the same size and give it more rear legroom, perhaps using the Holden Monaro as their overall configuration model.

</font>
If they keep it the same size....well then, I must demand third row seating.

Quick Reply: Camaro-from the horse