LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:09 PM

Re: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I swear do a search. This happens everytime a thread like this is made and everyone says the same thing. It's crazy.
To hell with solid empirical evidence. Popularity contests are wayyyy cooler.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grease
Thats a pretty bold statement, and a hard one to prove right or wrong. What is it you know that Joe O and AI don't know about?
Yeah you can call it BOLD all you want... as for what they don't know it's a lot of things, but why would I clue them in on it? I don't call it bold or cocky, because I've tested them and seen the proof.

I've seen enough instances where head to head with the same supporting parts other than the valvetrain I've flat out made more power and made the car more of what the customer wanted. You give me a engine dyno and a drive around test on any setup and I have no problem saying that I'll come out on top. The fact that I put out more custom cams for LT1's in a year than both of them combined is only one part of the equation. The other part is that I think outside of the box, and I've yet to see anything else out there that even comes close to going in the right direction in a number of areas of the camshaft. I do see a lot of "others" work FWIW.

Bret
Old 05-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Grease
Thats a pretty bold statement, and a hard one to prove right or wrong. What is it you know that Joe O and AI don't know about?
...or people like Harold Brookshire.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Banned

You can bring ole Harold on too... I seriously mean that. I wouldn't have a job if major cam companies knew how to spec shelf cams for guys.

Bret
Old 05-14-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
You can bring ole Harold on too... I seriously mean that. I wouldn't have a job if major cam companies knew how to spec shelf cams for guys.
You've got it all figured out So, if your 'job' is to specifiy and sell cams to guys here on this site, where's your sponsorship banner?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Banned

Where is Ai's? Or is that sponsorship just going thru you?

I send guys to Lloyd, even when they come to me for something directly, sometimes they only want to deal with me, but other than that it's none of your bussiness, but you seem to think otherwise?

Well considering I've had my cams in front of engine builders that I respect and they questioned them before the build but definately not afterward I'm not complaining.

BTW what do you ever bring to any thread you are in? What is this tid bit of info that you have that's so worthwhile?

Bret

P.S. Gary.... we don't have a ******* filter on this forum so what else can you do? I'm never going to back down from the fact that I will always put up what I do against anyone. I understand where you are coming from though.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
You've got it all figured out So, if your 'job' is to specifiy and sell cams to guys here on this site, where's your sponsorship banner?
Let's try and keep our focus on the topic at hand...

Quote:
Why do cars with heads that 'only' flow 270cfm sometimes outrun cars with heads that flow 300cfm? The answer, as you know, has as much to do with the rest of the combination

Interesting. So let's say in the instance where we were to bolt both sets of heads to the same engine, removing "the rest of the combination" as a variable that could possibly skew the true performance data of each respective head, what variables are we left with to consider?

Quote:
We all know that flow numbers, in and of themselves, mean little.

Okay. So if flow numbers aren't that important in judging a head's performance, what is?
Well?
Old 05-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

I'd like to hear this... it's entertaining to have the "Ai representitive" in here to tell us how the world works.

FWIW if you want to see how well a CNC machine can make junk look at this
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=57

I like CNC machining when it's worthwhile but it can also turn out junk faster than it can turn out quality. So let's not base this on a CNC vs. Hand porting thread. Because I wouldn't pay for that CNC porting if I had a gun against my head. There is always junk and the method to get to the final product doesn't matter, just like camshafts. The end results are the key. (BTW this isin't about Ai's CNC maching which looks good from what I have seen.)

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-14-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Yeah you can call it BOLD all you want... as for what they don't know it's a lot of things, but why would I clue them in on it? I don't call it bold or cocky, because I've tested them and seen the proof.

Bret
Well do you care to give an example of one of these tests where you compared the 2 because "I"ve seen the proof" just doesn't cut it. And don't take this thew wrong way, I've seen pretty good numbers with LE2 packages with your cams but never any jaw dropping results from, one of your cams.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Look at the TQ numbers on any of them vs. another cam, Joe O, Comp whatever, the 20-30ft lbs didn't come out of nowhere. 365rwtq vs. 390rwtq is a BIG difference. Maybe if you layed the curves over most setups i've seen out there without my cams against ones that do you would understand, it's not the peak numbers that I worry about. Then again my stuff has been called peaky by Ai, which I think is laughable. Again, I didn't open up that can.

That's why a engine dyno test would be interesting.

You ever see when Lloyd says the cams are small? Well that's because I make the same or more power with less... wonder how that works. FWIW all that matters is that the guy who works with me on them is happy and sees the difference. I follow it just to make sure I know that it's doing much better than anyone else.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-14-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 PM

At least in my experiance, a hand ported head is always better on a production casting than CNC. A good hand porter can see and feel the differences from one port to another and make the changes necessary, there is core shift in heads too and that means that some ports need to have a little different work done than others. CNC is a way to make repeatable, cost effective results fast...but they will always be 5% behind the hand port. As for the lap line crap that was posted, I know old dudes that can use stones and set their stem installeds withen .002" of each other, anyone telling you that your vj needs to be more accurate than that is full of BS. I can put all my valves on the thou with the vgs20 and never need to lap a valve except to show the position for porting reasons. So this whole arguement over CNC quality over the guy doing it by hand is totally wrong, most heads I get from cnc porting houses need a VJ out of the box to correct for concentricity and seat width placements, so my point is that the CNC is only as good as the operator and if the operator is bad than the results can be much worse than if there had been some human control. Now I have never seen AI heads, so don't take this as anything against them personally and I am sure they put much more attention into their stuff than some companies I have seen, I am just giving broad scope info.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

Gary, I've seen times where SB2 race heads made more power with lapping the valves and if you didn't do this the motor made less power.... it doesn't make sense to me either with the quality of those valve jobs.

Bret
Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 PM

I'd like to hear this... it's entertaining to have the "Ai representitive" in here to tell us how the world works.

Bret
Settle down. It's about heads/cam not name calling or insinuations.

And as for specing cams that make 390rwtq...your a bit behind the curve (I can make puns too!). My Ai nitrous cam made 390rwtq (in a 355 6spd) almost a year and a half ago. If thier cams are so inferior to yours/LE spec'd cams, how is that possible? For every 1 car that you've had hit 390+ rwtq, how many have only made in the high 370s to low 380s? How many of your 390-400 cars are strokers?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:37 PM

Is it me or is it always a Ai vs LE arguement over who purchased what? Guy 1 who has Ai heads on his car gives Ai the respect. Guy 2 who has LE heads on his car gives LE the respect.

Please ladies, calm down
Old 05-14-2006, 10:42 PM

When will the maddness end I think both make good power and wish the pissing contest would end But I dont blame Brett for defending his work I would do the same if I was in his shoes

Quick Reply: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc