LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM

LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

I burnt a valve up on my Bird at the track last week. Getting ready to order a head and cam package, and am either going with the LE2 setup, or the AI 190cc setup. I've seen a lot more posts from people that have run Loyd's heads than the AI stuff. I got on the AI site and know that there **** is pretty insane. From the posts that I've read, it appears that the results are pretty similar beteween the two. The extra $300 for the AI heads and cam are not an issue for me. I'm sure I couldn't go wrong either way, but I'm looking for any info or opinions that may sway me one way or another. I will be putting these on my stock LT1 shortblock. I'm running a 150 shot. I'm looking to do a low compression 383/396 and a huffer this winter.

Brandon
Old 05-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Re: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

eather way you go will be a good choice. I just flip a quarter and i went with AI. I am not dissapointed at all they are a great place to deal with they know their stuff and their stuff works. Good luck many people have been in your situation.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:25 PM

I vote for AI anyday of the week. They use a CNC to do thier head work. I am not too fond of doing things by hand when a computer can do it to exact tolerances. A human hand is only close. I am a very meticulous and detail oriented individual, so I went with the people who use the cnc for 100% of their porting. Ok, im ****. So sue me! I know, I know, the cnc is only as good as the program. But, have you seen Rick Abear's car lately? Check out that post. That is the same exact head you will get! The cam is different as he is doing a solid roller, but with my setup 450RWHP should be easy with Jeff Creech manipulating my pcm. Its all about tolerances, and what your comfterable with. Myself, there is only one choice for ported stockers... AI all the way.

Plus, Ron and Phil are super easy to talk to, and they have answered all my dumb@ss questions. I have heard that Lloyd is awesome in this department too, but hey I haven't dealt with him so I dont know. What is 300 dollars now compared to longevity later?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:24 PM

i havent dealt w/ ai but lloyd was GREAT to deal with and the man knows his ****
Old 05-14-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cmroSS97
i havent dealt w/ ai but lloyd was GREAT to deal with and the man knows his ****
agreed
Old 05-14-2006, 01:17 PM

I talked both before going with Lloyd. Cant go wrong eitherway. I may try AI next time around so I can actually say Ive had both. I may let Lloyd do one head and phill do the other and see which side of the block runs stronger.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
agreed
Your setup is just about the same as mine. How much power are you making?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Jlo

Well, I went with Lloyd Elliot's LE3 heads and a Bret Bauer cam reason why, well I trust these guy's with my car they are very easy to talk to and answer all my questions, trust me I botherd Bret with alot of questions and alway's replied. Lloyd, I spoke to him a few times and emailed him a couple of times too, the guy is awsome to talk to really know's his stuff and is willing to share his information and knowlege to help me achive my goal of 450rwhp. I was going with AI but felt more comfortable with Lloyd and Bret.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:58 PM

I am in still in the bolt on stage, but i have been reading on this site for 5 years and I have never read anything bad about L.E.. Everything has been positive, work, customer service, shipping, etc. I do also feel that AI is a great company, they have built some great cars. Their results are some of the best but when i port my heads and cam the car Lloyd is going to do the work. I think his prices are better also, you mentioned 300. That may or may not be the figure when its all said and done. I would contact both, then figure out which one you want to go with. good luck
Old 05-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Well i cant tell ya from personal experience yet but my engine setup will be complete on tues so ill keep u updated but as far as customer service goes lloyd elliot is the way to go he will tell you how it is and be honest about it deff number #1 on my list between the 2
Old 05-14-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
I vote for AI anyday of the week. They use a CNC to do thier head work. I am not too fond of doing things by hand when a computer can do it to exact tolerances. A human hand is only close. I am a very meticulous and detail oriented individual, so I went with the people who use the cnc for 100% of their porting. Ok, im ****. So sue me! I know, I know, the cnc is only as good as the program. But, have you seen Rick Abear's car lately? Check out that post. That is the same exact head you will get! The cam is different as he is doing a solid roller, but with my setup 450RWHP should be easy with Jeff Creech manipulating my pcm. Its all about tolerances, and what your comfterable with. Myself, there is only one choice for ported stockers... AI all the way.

Plus, Ron and Phil are super easy to talk to, and they have answered all my dumb@ss questions. I have heard that Lloyd is awesome in this department too, but hey I haven't dealt with him so I dont know. What is 300 dollars now compared to longevity later?

I agree and that is what also made me make up my mind on AI. They are great guys with great results.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:30 PM

A lot of guys give the nod to AI for being the better of the two, while giving the nod to LE for being a little cheaper.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:48 PM

I talked to both also, AI was just to busy at the time. Sometimes I waited up to a week between email reply's, untill he finally told me he was just too busy. Thats good that he takes care of his own first before taking on new clintele, I respect that. Just didn't work out for me.

Lloyds turn around time was much quicker.
-b

Last edited by bdc95ta; 05-14-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
A lot of guys give the nod to AI for being the better of the two, while giving the nod to LE for being a little cheaper.
You just need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples when looking at price alone.

I vote Ai, and if you want the same heads as the guy running 10.04 @ 137, you need to call Ai.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:54 PM

Hope this doesnt turn bad.

Quick Reply: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc