LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:23 PM

Re: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
You just need to make sure you're comparing apples to apples when looking at price alone.

These "apples" you speak of: what are they and how should we be comparing them to determine which company makes the better product? Care to shed some light?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Hope this doesnt turn bad.
It probably will

I'd honestly like to see some more times out of both camps to tell the truth. Rick's car is cool and all.. but I'm sure most will agree that it doesn't appear to be the norm. How many full weight 13x trap LT1 casting cars have we seen?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:34 PM
Banned

Javier, for your car you gotta put EGT probes in the headers, throw the thing on the dyno and tweak the crap out of the tune, throw on a vacuum pump, shaft mounts, solid roller and oh yeah wheelie bars to make it a comparable street car first.

There is no doubt this will get ugly like it always does, the same dudes are already pushing it there.

Bret
Old 05-14-2006, 03:38 PM

How fast do you wanna spend today?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
These "apples" you speak of: what are they and how should we be comparing them to determine which company makes the better product? Care to shed some light?
Well, first neither of them 'make' a product - they offer services, and the respective value that each offers is personal preference (i.e. they simply like the guy) for some, and objectively qualified (i.e. proven services) for others (and for some, it's both) - you'd have to ask everyone individually what that is worth to them dollarwise. As far as a relative comparison of the parts that are put on the heads, that's easy - are they the same parts?
Old 05-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
It probably will

I'd honestly like to see some more times out of both camps to tell the truth. Rick's car is cool and all.. but I'm sure most will agree that it doesn't appear to be the norm. How many full weight 13x trap LT1 casting cars have we seen?
Is there one LE LT1-headed car in this category? And I agree, Rick's car has been put together well, there are no spared expenses or time, and it is driven well. Does that mean it cannot be duplicated with similar effort and time? Of course not.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
There is no doubt this will get ugly like it always does, the same dudes are already pushing it there.
Hello Pot, is that you? It's me, Kettle.

Relax Bret.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:51 PM

Is there one LE LT1-headed car in this category? And I agree, Rick's car has been put together well, there are no spared expenses or time, and it is driven well. Does that mean it cannot be duplicated with similar effort and time? Of course not.
Not that I know of Just sayin', it's not the norm, so people throwing a set of Ai heads on their cars shouldn't expect to be going 13x traps outta the box.

People throw around "get the same heads as a 13x trap car".. sure, may be the same heads, but it may mislead people, that's all. I haven't seen many max effort LE cars either, so it's hard to compare, I'd love to be one of them but I can only spend so much this year

Of course, anyone scewed that easily shouldn't really be into this, but that's just me
Old 05-14-2006, 04:02 PM

I tlaked to both as well, and talking with Lloyd was great. Answered all the million and a half emails I sent him every night.

Ill have mine car running the secon weekend in June. Ill post up dyno and track results then.

And you think that with just the same heads and cam that AI's car is running, you'll be able to get that 130+mph timeslip? Nope, not unless you have an idential setup you wont. Its all about supporting mods. W/o, all you are going to do is be dissapointed in yourself and blame either AI or LE.

Last edited by scrmnws6; 05-14-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:16 PM

Why not compare the LE2 heads to Ai 180cc heads?

It really depends on what your trying to accomplish and how much “attention to detail” matters to you. If your looking for a hand ported head I think the 180cc Ai head would be a better comparison of price, performance and parts.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

Hey, as I said before let's throw a LE package, a AI package for a 3000-6500rpm 350 cube motor to Golen and have them throw them on the engine dyno. Hell let's put a CC306 cam in there as well so we can compare them on the same camshaft as well, it would be good to see all the differences that the heads and the cams make. If they want to go with smaller valves and a much smaller port, then fine I don't care.

You guys basically saying that Ai has more attention to detail because they mill a few more things or whatever is pretty insulting to Lloyd. The things that count like VJ, port sizes in certain areas, guide clearance etc... are what really count and both places check that.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-14-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Well, first neither of them 'make' a product - they offer services
Thanks for clearing that up.

and the respective value that each offers is personal preference (i.e. they simply like the guy) for some, and objectively qualified (i.e. proven services) for others (and for some, it's both) - you'd have to ask everyone individually what that is worth to them dollarwise.
The individual engine configurations of the respective customers of both LE and AI are as varied as the sands on the seashore. Common sense would dictate that to use power numbers produced by the total sum of parts in each of these engines to determine the performance level of any one part in the equation is going to show results that are too varied and subjective to have a definitive answer. I took it that by your statement of comparing "apples to apples," you were referring to the standards for judging head performance in and of themselves, but it appears not.

As far as a relative comparison of the parts that are put on the heads, that's easy - are they the same parts
Let's pretend that we have a set of heads from both companies that have the exact same parts....what else is there to compare?
Old 05-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Itll never happen.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 PM

Sure it can. I even volunteered my car. If someone wants to cover the labor of switching the heads, retunning and dyno time, and sending over a set of AI's heads, Im game.

My LE2 package will be here within a week, and everything is getting installed/tuned the second weekend in June.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Sure it can. I even volunteered my car. If someone wants to cover the labor of switching the heads, retunning and dyno time, and sending over a set of AI's heads, Im game.

My LE2 package will be here within a week, and everything is getting installed/tuned the second weekend in June.
Everythread like this goes the same way and the sames things are said. Time for someone to pick up the ball and make it happen. Still wont put anything to rest. I think both heads should be flowed on the same bench also before testing which Golen can do I think

Quick Reply: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc