Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

So you want to save the Camaro name???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:50 PM

Here's the response that I got. Notice that they used my last name like a first name in the salutation:

Dear Corbin,

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to your desire for the reintroduction of the Camaro. Unfortunately, the F-body style was discontinued in the 2002 model year. General Motors currently has no plans to reintroduce these vehicles in the near future.

We appreciate the passion that our customers have for these cars and were pleased to celebrate them with a 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro and a Collector Edition Firebird Trans Am. Although Camaro and Firebird have always had focused appeal, both Chevrolet and Pontiac will continue the tradition of providing performance vehicles with high value. This year, Chevrolet introduced the SSR. Pontiac will also continue to offer excitement with performance powertrains, including the supercharged Grand Prix GTP, Bonneville SSE and the 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT.

GM will continue to support the millions of Camaro and Firebird/Trans Am owners with replacement parts, reproduction parts, accessories and technical support through its Service Parts Organization.

Mr. Corbin, our goal at the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center is Customer Satisfaction. If you feel we haven't provided complete customer satisfaction, please email me again and reference your Service Request Number, 1-XXXXXXX.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,

DXXXX CXXXXX
Customer Relationship Manager
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center

This guy talks about the SSR, SSE, GTP, and "the Vibe" in the same light. No mention of the GTO. Apples and oranges. I would invite the poor guy to drive a 35th edition and then drive a Vibe so that he can understand the difference.

"I WANT MY F_BODY"
(As in "I want my MTV") [B]
Old 03-09-2004, 04:04 PM

Quaoted from the above email reply from GM:

"GM will continue to support the millions of Camaro and Firebird/Trans Am owners with replacement parts, reproduction parts, accessories and technical support through its Service Parts Organization."

Note the phrase "millions of Camaro and Firebird/Trans Am owners"...

Doesn't this say something to anyone about the potential market for a brand-new world-class Camaro / Firebird??
Old 03-09-2004, 04:11 PM

For us Firebird enthusiasts, anybody think it would help to send one to Pontiac customer service and voice our yearning for a 5th gen firebird? I realize that the chances of it returning are very slim, if not none at all, but I just can't picture a Camaro without a Firebird sister. Anyways, I will be sending an email in support of the Camaro because we need the Camaro! I just want to hear your opinions on sending one in in support of the FireBird.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:13 PM

I started writing mine and it turned into four pages single spaced in word. Whoops.

Lets try this again...

Please forward to Robert Lutz.
For five years now I’ve been a Camaro owner and enthusiast, the kind of person who lives and breaths Camaros. My 1991 Camaro RS is the only car I’ve ever purchased and it has never given me a reason to buy something else, aside from when I baby it during winters and it sleeps comfortably in our garage. Fortunately, I seem to have made it though my first three years of college and with graduation now on the horizon I plan to purchase another vehicle shortly thereafter to take over daily driver duties. This would be an easy decision to make if there was a new Camaro available, but it is currently on hiatus as I am sure you are well aware of. I am abuzz about the possibility of a new Camaro based on the Zeta platform and various Internet rumors, but possibilities and rumors wont keep me tied over until 2007, 2008 or possibly later. While some will push and say the new Mustang is an attractive alternative, such is not the line of thought for me due to its retro styling, which I do not approve of. As you can see, I am in quite the situation as I want a new pony car, but do not like the Mustang and there is no Camaro. The SSR, GTO, Malibu MAXX, and Cobolt SS, while being attractive cars and half-a-truck, are not replacements for our beloved Camaro. Not even the current and upcoming Corvettes would appeal to me more than a world-class Camaro that stays true to the Camaro heritage while pushing the styling envelop in a positive way. The General Motors of three years ago would not bat an eye to this letter, I’m sure of this, but please renew my faith in your amazing company.

Thank you,
Charles S. Kulchar
Old 03-09-2004, 04:25 PM

Sent
Old 03-09-2004, 06:16 PM

posted on local board... now to write mine
Old 03-09-2004, 06:47 PM

Im not a camaro owner meself, but i posted a link to the site, and quoted guions original post over at fordvschevy.com . lets try and get this to cover the whole internet, get EVERYONE in on it
Old 03-09-2004, 06:49 PM

Sent
Old 03-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Sent mine in
Old 03-09-2004, 07:44 PM

Sent as well.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:16 PM

Please forward this message to Robert Lutz.

When I turned seventeen years old, I wanted nothing more to have a 'cool' car. I knew I wanted something that would be original and would still have appeal a few years down the road. I found that car in a pristine black 1991 Pontiac Firebird. I guess you could say that was my introduction to these cars.

I now drive a 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 and it has been nothing but bliss. Power. Elegance. Easily modifiable. It is every gear heads dream.

Needless to say I was extremely disheartened to learn of the F-platform’s demise. Although it disappointed me to great depths, I understood it from both a marketing and financial standpoint.

Now, we as Camaro and Firebird owners are asking you to help us fill this void in the GM lineup and give us back our bragging rights. We all understand that GTO, GTP, GXP(s), and SSR are new in this or the last couple model years, but none hold the place in our heart the way that the F-Twins did.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that being an F-Body enthusiast means being a special breed. We are the type that stare down a car and notice every detail of it without so much as blinking an eye. We notice modifications no matter how small or insignificant they may be to the average Joe; they mean something to us.

V-8. Rear wheel drive. Manual transmission. Camaro. Firebird.

That’s all we are asking.

If you build it correctly, we will come…in droves.

Thank you for your time,

Dustin Grieser
d.grieser@mnfbody.com
Old 03-09-2004, 08:28 PM

i sent mine.nothing special and short.

when i heard about the fbody being discontinued i sent several emails and letters to GM like lots of other people and sadly it did no good.

unfortunately i dont think this is going to help either.i hope im wrong.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:52 PM

I did it. Doubt the stuffed shirts will get it through their thick heads, but it's worth a try.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:17 PM

Sent in.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:36 PM

mines in

Quick Reply: So you want to save the Camaro name???