Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

So you want to save the Camaro name???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 06:54 AM

Please forward this message to Product Chairman Bob Lutz. Hi, I just wanted to send you a note, as a current Camaro owner, to say I'd love the chance to own another new Camaro. I've owned a 1978, 1981, 1988 (IROC), and 2002 Camaro. I've owned a 1988 Firebird too. My 2002 was my first new car. I bought it and settled for a V6 because I wanted a new Camaro before I could not ever again. Right now, there is nothing in the GM stable I would buy in a couple years when I finish paying this car off. The GTO is too expensive, I need more seats than a Vette, and blown v6's and ecotechs don't appeal to me, when I know Ford and Chrysler has their v8 RWD vehicles available. For me the f-body, especially the Camaro, is what made me a GM man. Please bring it back.
did my part!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:22 AM

I will be sending mine out shortly!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:14 AM

Done
Old 03-09-2004, 08:21 AM

Someone needs to post this thread or a link to this thread in the lounge if it hasn't already been done. Since I'm not a Camaro owner, I suppose I can't really participate unless I lied.

Edit: Well it looks like I don't actually have to own a Camaro, but since my GM product is no longer made I would still be lying.

Last edited by JEDCamino; 03-09-2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:36 AM

You guys have my support on this one. I don't currently own a Camaro, but I will eventually. I had a 94 Z28, and had to sell it, due to financial reasons. I now own a "performance sedan" with my GTP, but I miss the V8 Rumble, from My Z.

Brandon
Old 03-09-2004, 08:52 AM

Please forward this note to Product Chairman Bob Lutz. Hi, I just wanted to send you a note, as a current Camaro owner, to say I'd love the chance to own another new Camaro. I've owned two 1986 IROCS (I still own one), a 1998 Convertible Z28 (still have it) and a 2001 SS (my first new car - and yes I still own it) My wife drives the convertible. Right now, there is nothing in the GM stable I would buy in a couple years when I finish paying this car off. The GTO is too expensive and I need more seats than a Vette. Blown v6's and ecotechs don't have the appeal (or the torque curve) of a V8. Ford has a new Mustang that is faithful to its heritage. The Camaro name has a proud heritage and GM should not abandon that heritage The Camaro is what made me a GM man. I'd hate to be forced into buying a Ford. Please bring back the Camaro.
I took 20 OZ's message and made it my own (i hope you don't mind )

I am going to post GuionM's message on the message board at SFFBA.com (my club's site)

Last edited by Ed 2001 SS; 03-09-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:27 AM

Heres my letter, please give it a "read through" before I send it out, and let me know what you think.

Please forward this message to Product Chairman Bob Lutz. Hi, as a Camaro owner I would like to say thank you for making suck a great car. I have a 1991 Camaro RS 305 and have not had any problems with it. I recently got married and bought a new house, and would love at add a new Camaro in the garage. My wife and I currently own a total of 3 cars, all of them GM. Our latest purchase was a Grand Prix GTP for my wife, which will be paid off in the summer of 2007. At that time I will be looking for a new car for myself. As always, I will be looking for a V8 rear wheel drive car, with a back seat (and T-tops). A Camaro would definitely be on the top of my list if it were available. I know GM is currently producing a Corvette, CTS-V, and GTO, all of which I would love to own. But you and I both know the Camaro in more in my price range. If a new Chevrolet Coupe was made but not called a Camaro, I would take that as a personal “slap in the face”. Don’t abandon a great car or even its name. I, like many others, would not be too happy if the Camaro nameplate doesn’t return, and may have to look elsewhere if GM abandons some if its most loyal enthusiasts. You’ve done a great job with your cars in the past, just doesn’t mess it up in the future. I’m looking forward to seeing the Camaro name on V8 rear wheel drive coupe soon. Thank you for your time.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:48 AM

Thumbs up

Done...
Old 03-09-2004, 09:50 AM

Thumbs up

Congratulations on the introduction of another generation of an American icon, the sixth generation Corvette. It is truly a breathtaking car. As a proud GM supporter, I really rally around this vehicle as a declaration of what I consider my company to be all about.

But there is another nameplate that garners these same feelings of pride, perhaps more in a sense. It is a vehicle that is more attainable and less fantasy to the average car buyer, while maintaining just as dedicated a following and cherished history of its own. Yes, that car is named Camaro.

It’s hard to believe we’ve been without it for what will soon be three years. Rumors persist that the car will someday return, but now they indicate the very name of this storied car is in jeopardy.

Please, you must find a way to continue this vehicle with its proper nameplate. For many like myself, Camaro has become a tradition. It is owned with a pride in both GM and our country. I cannot ponder another car that carries these same feelings.

Without a doubt, Camaro is the Corvette for the everyday man. And it wouldn’t be right if that were taken away again.
Done. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:56 AM

23 posts and 333 views so far.... hope all those people contacted GM!!
Old 03-09-2004, 10:02 AM

My message is sent! I also posted a link at www.f-body.com.

Concerning the Camaro:

Please forward to Bob Lutz and Product Development Personnel.

I currently own a 1996 Camaro Z28. This is the second Camaro I have pruchased from my Chevy dealership. My Mother's first car was a 1967 Camaro 327. We puchased these cars, not only from a performance/utility standpoint, but because of the image, history and heritage that is behind the name Camaro. I never fail to be amazed at the amount of support and espirit de corps that Camaro brings out. From numerous valuable message boards filled with technical/informal information on the internet, to the cruise in's and Camaro clubs with which I am involved.

I have already begun to save money for the day that Camaro may return to showrooms, complete the Chevy lineup, and find a good home in my garage alongside my '96.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:07 AM

I've already gotten a response:

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate
you taking the time to write us in regards to the Camaro name, history and
heritage. We apologize for the disappointment expressed in your e-mail. However,
on September 25, 2001 General Motors Corporation announced that 2002 would be
the last model year for the Chevrolet Camaro. Due to the decrease in demand for
the sport segments, this decision was unavoidable. Again, we appreciate your
feedback and have documented your comments and will forward your comments to the
appropriate divisions

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or
call our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020 and refer to
file **********. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through
Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,

Customer Relationship Manager
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center
Old 03-09-2004, 10:19 AM

Added my two cents worth. Just expressed that there is a heritage with the Camaro and not just at GM, but with people. I want my son to have the chance at being the 3rd generation in a row to own a Camaro in my family.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:46 AM

Done. My letter follows... thanks for the leadership on this guionM.

Dear GM,
I am writing to encourage you not to abandon the proud, 35-year heritage of the Chevrolet Camaro. I appreciate the intricate legal, production and marketing issues that have contributed to the 4th Generation F-Body’s demise, but it is time for the Camaro’s “hiatus” to end. In the name “Camaro,” there is no greater brand identity for an affordable, V-8 powered, rear-wheel-drive performance coupe. Any future bowtie-bearing beast in this market niche named anything but Camaro would be a sacrilegious slap in the face of every diehard Chevy enthusiast.
The Camaro is more than an automobile… it is an American icon that embodies our national values of freedom, power and excellence. Millions of enthusiasts around the world not only drive, restore, race and modify Camaros, they collect anything associated with the brand. How many people do you know own a Toyota Camry t-shirt? How often do you run into a Ford Crown Victoria car club? How many Dodge Intrepid die cast model collectors are present out there? How many books are written on the Nissan Altima? When was the last time someone stored a Ford F-150 for the winter so as not to expose it to the snow? While these models represent some of the most prolific vehicles on the road, none of them evoke any passion in their owners or cause one to value it more than simply a means of transportation. Please do not underestimate the value of Camaro and the importance that its brand has on Chevrolet—both for diehard GM-loyalists and to those wondering if Chevy’s “American Revolution” is nothing more than a vapid marketing stunt.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:20 AM

Got mine sent in.

Here it is.

Please forward this to Robert Lutz and all those concerned with the Chevrolet Zeta coupe...
It is common knowlege that the Chevrolet Camaro was killed: in order to get GM out of a plant that was underutilized, because it wouldn't get past 03 crash tests, because there was no replacement platform available, and basically because it was ignored. I would wager that many other of the 44,000 members of CZ28.com, the 28,000 members of thirdgen.org, and the hundreds of thousands Camaro fans on the internet, and millions not on the internet know some of this. I would also wager that most of these current or past owners have bought Camaros and other GM vehicles and influenced others to do the same, my immediate family contains all GM vehicles totaling 11. I would also wager that you know all of this. I cannot implore you enough that WE know the need for secrecy and we understand if nothing is said or done until after the summer of 05 (Contract Talks) but WE also know that Ford has a new Mustang out in a few months and we will be tempted to buy one. What I have for you is Faith that in 07 or 08 when that coupe comes out and I am ready to buy MY first new car that MY Camaro will be there, because if not the Mustang will be! I will accept no substitues, no Chevelle, no Monte, just CAMARO. When I wrecked my 1st Camaro a Black 91 Z28 it was because I was an irresponsible driver, I was careless. Every time I see those photos I get depressed. Do not make me buy a Mustang because you wanted to take the easy way out. Do the right thing and let the LEGEND be Reborn!

Quick Reply: So you want to save the Camaro name???