Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang vs Camaro, Challenger vs GTO, & other latest info

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 AM

Re: Mustang vs Camaro, Challenger vs GTO, & other latest info

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
That sounds much, much better to me and would make me pretty content. I still think 400+ hp is too much for the mildest available V8, but we've made as much noise about an entry level V8 as possible and have heard crickets in response, so I guess its time to give that up.

Surely GM understands this market enough to know they have to have a V8 model priced competitively with the GT if the car is going to succeed.
Yes, they do. They have been doing it longer than 95% of the people on this board have been able to see over a steering wheel. Calm down a little...

You also have to take into account actual transaction prices and what cars actually make it to the showroom. How many $26k Mustang GT's have you seen in a Ford showroom? Now how many $28.5-29k Mustang GT's have you seen in a showroom? That should answer your question about the pricing structure. GM is going to produce a competitive product when you consider the entire vehicle, from bumper to bumper.

You guys have to realize there is more to a car than 4 wheels and a v8!

I disagree with Charlie at this point about the base V6. I really don't think GM can put a HFV6 in a $21k Camaro. Can they put it in a $26k Camaro? I think so...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:41 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Surely GM understands this market enough to know they have to have a V8 model priced competitively with the GT if the car is going to succeed.
This is a no brainer and Chevy knows it. I'd stop pressing the panic button.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM

Between the last two posts it looks like I've been adequately admonished and shamed back into my dark corner, LOL.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:53 AM

Between the last two posts it looks like I've been adequately admonished and shamed back into my dark corner, LOL.
Not shamed, coaxed like a child that lightly skinned his/her knee and acts as if they're being amputated
Old 04-28-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
Not shamed, coaxed like a child that lightly skinned his/her knee and acts as if they're being amputated
Hey, better to overreact to nothing than to sit by and let GM screw up the car, right? I'd rather have enthusiasts outraged about something and then back down than to have a "I trust GM no matter what" attitude when they have a track record of goofing up great cars.

They should be flattered we care so much.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:24 AM

I 5th gen engine lineup, as I have come to understand it at this point in time, sounds great. I don't really find anything wrong with it at all. Heres to a 320hp v6, and a 400+hp base v8
Old 04-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Disciple

Is there a reason that two levels of V6 power can't be done with the same engine?
Just a thought.

But I think the lineup could be done like this....

250hp 3.6 HF V6 = Base V6 Camaro
310hp 5.3 AFM V8 = Optional Camaro RS
350hp 5.3 AFM V8 = Base Camaro SS
420hp 6.2 AFM V8 = Optional Camaro SS
500hp S/C 6.2 V8 = Base Camaro Z/28

Technically the two 6.2s would be different RPOs.
In my lineup, RS is an appearance package with an optional V8.

For the record, AFM = "Active Fuel Management", which is the new official term that replaced "Displacement on Demand".

Here's another thought... if a low-level V6 was dropped completely, and the base model Camaro had 275hp or more, could it deter potential base V6 buyers because of having too much power?

I love threads like this.

Last edited by OctaneZ28; 04-28-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:06 PM

A 320hp v8 is going to look ridiculous by the end of the decade. Hell, I think a 350hp one will too. I would rather see a 320hp v6.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
There is a super Camaro being made. Thank the "super" Corvette for creating the vacancy by "raising the ceiling". Expect it to compete with the GT500 Mustang.... in more ways than one.
You wouldn't be suggesting that there will be both a coupe and convertible version of the "super" Camaro, would you? If so... my prayers have just been answered.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:29 PM

hell i don't care if it comes with a turbo eco-tec, just build the damn thing
Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM

If the "base" v8 model (SS?) comes in near Mustang GT pricing territory, then I'll recind every one of my posts.

But that's not what it sounds like is happening here. It sounds like we'll have a base V6, a HFv6 priced against the GT, and an SS that is near GT500 pricing, with a Z28 priced at god-knows-what.

If that's the lineup,then its stupid. If what you are trying to say is that the HFV6 will be priced at today's GT price, that's a different issue. I'd then have to assume GT's pricetag will inflate and by Camaro's launch date the SS would hopefully be within a $1000 of a Mustang GT with the HFV6 model coming in closer to Mustang V6 pricing.
Actually the way I read it was the HFv6 would meet previous GT performance not price. The SS would be priced with the mid V8 Ford Mustang (GT, BOSS, etc.) and the Z28 against the GT500.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
I disagree with Charlie at this point about the base V6. I really don't think GM can put a HFV6 in a $21k Camaro. Can they put it in a $26k Camaro? I think so...
I think that they can for sure, do it for $26K or even less. $21K? Yes, the beancounters might wince in pain, but if Mustang gets a 285 hp Duratec for $21K....it's a whole new ballgame.

We'll see what happens. The powertrain line-up has been changed around already, I wouldn't be surprised if it changes again...maybe multiple times.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:23 PM

Great write-up quionM. I really can't wait to see these cars on the road .

David
Old 04-28-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
You wouldn't be suggesting that there will be both a coupe and convertible version of the "super" Camaro, would you? If so... my prayers have just been answered.
I'm hoping he meant price wise.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Alot depends.

First, whose to say a 2010 Mustang will still have a 4.6? The Hurricane motor is back on, you know. It's a 6.2L.

And Mustang isn't going to be using that boat anchor 4.0 V6 forever. The 3.5 Duratec will have 265 hp for '07, BTW.

So what I'm saying is, what we may consider a "hi-po" V6 today, may be the price of admission in 5 years....although perhaps, not necessarily 320 hp.
I've often wondered if even the last Camaro could have been saved with a jucier V6 model.

It's quite clear that the next V6 Camaro cannot be an econobox. Across the board, it seems the trend is to give low-end models more oomph. Notice how the new Altima will be offering dual-exhaust and a six-speed with their four cylinder models. The consumer, especially the import-oriented consumer, is increasinly looking for performance throughout a vehicles lineup.

On that note, a base Camaro with a hi-po V6 might be capable of some serious conquest sales. The combination of killer style and a OHC might result in a lot of used Solara's, RSX Type S's and even G35 coupes on Chevy lots.

Quick Reply: Mustang vs Camaro, Challenger vs GTO, & other latest info