Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Dec. issue PHR - "New Camaro" may be called "Chevelle"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:31 PM

Re: Dec. issue PHR - "New Camaro" may be called "Chevelle"?

Originally Posted by number77
just like JasonD posted. Red put himself on the line to save the Camaro name and noone would help him out.
There was no excuse not to help Red out and the lame response he got pisses me off. It took me a few hours to type up a letter on what the Camaro name means to me and go down to Kinkos and make a copy of my Dad and Me in front of my old car.

I swear I'm ganna go start test driving the '05 Mustangs if this $hit keeps coming up.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by Abidar
.....The Camaro on the Torana chasis, which theoretically could be done by 2008. And if it looks anything like PlumCrazy's newest rendition, watch out Mustang......
Link???
Old 11-01-2004, 02:38 PM

Am I allowed to link to cheers and gears???

Oh well... here's Plum's latest camaro design.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums...showtopic=7873

That's what I call an American Revolution.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:39 PM

Imagine that design with a cowl or SS hood... but I think it look gorgeous already.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:06 PM

If we get a 2-door RWD V-8 vehicle called Chevelle then...well...i might buy it. I know we are camaro enthusiasts here - but if the next "camaro" (or car we want to be called camaro) is called chevelle, what is the difference? We are car enthusiasts too, right? If it's the same car i'm not too concerned what name it wears, so long as it's a GOOD CAR. I think your average car consumer is the same way. I'd rather get a RWD V-8 coupe called "chevelle" than no v-8 rwd coupe at all. And i'd especially rather not have something that is NOT camaro wearing the camaro name. By the same token, if they call this chevelle (whatever it is) it better look chevelle.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010

I swear I'm ganna go start test driving the '05 Mustangs if this $hit keeps coming up.

i already have.. they're pretty nice.
they fixed the lack of interior room that the previous ones had.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:22 PM

If this Chevy Zeta coupe doesnt fit a Camaro too well, then I'm all for them naming it a Chevelle. I want our car to come back as a Camaro, not a half-baked creation. Personally, I think theres still more to heard from this Torana chassis and by the sounds of it, it fits the Camaro size pretty damn well.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Could also explain the "redesign" we've been hearing about...IOW, get rid of the Camaro cues and do a Chevelle instead....
I've been thinking that very thing ever since the redo was first brought up.

we can cut to the more sporty sibling in the Chevy family... The Camaro on the Torana chasis, which theoretically could be done by 2008....

Maybe the Camaro isn't in limbo. Maybe the Camaro on Zeta chasis is in limbo. Maybe Lutz has a 100% full intention of building a Camaro...
I've been wishing for that very thing ever since the Torana was first brought up.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
i already have.. they're pretty nice.
they fixed the lack of interior room that the previous ones had.
Yeah and more interior room sounds great to me being 6'6". I talked to my friends dad who is the body shop manager and I hear they are all around very nice cars. He said low end sucks but the mid range is nice. LoL he took it up to about 140 and said it felt great. I'm getting very bored of my FWD V6, with no Camaro blip at all and all this negative GM news I will be looking at GTs this summer.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:23 PM

I so tired of all of this . The more time goes by , right now .....I really dont believe theres a Camaro in the works . Just like they sold the soltice up the river with the now saturn roadster too , who else is gonna get a copy ? I think the GTO's platform mate is looking to be a Chevys version GTO , it would be so typical GM . I thought the Clones were supposed to go out with Zarella ? ....especially with specialty cars . Its hard to have faith when theres just nothing whatsoever there . Theres just as much info to negate chevys Zeta coupe is NOT camaro , than there is to promote it .
Old 11-01-2004, 04:33 PM

Am I allowed to link to cheers and gears???

Oh well... here's Plum's latest camaro design.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums...showtopic=7873

That's what I call an American Revolution.
That might have a chance of making me jump from Firebird to Camaro.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:53 PM

well, from what we know about the rwd coupe i can say this.
we know it has cues from the past, but from the people that have seen it, none of them have said that it looks like a camaro. with that said, i believe they designed a neutral looking rwd car. so they can drop either or names on it. remember that the name doesn't mean that much, especially if you are designing a new generation that is coming back a few years after that last. so as long as they don't mold the name in the bumper we might get a camaro. it doesn't take alot of resources for GM to wait till the last second and put an order on Camaro/Chevelle plastic pieces for the side of the car and the interior.

so maybe you guys have a little time to send in those pics to RED still. now will anyone acutally do it
Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by number77
just like JasonD posted. Red put himself on the line to save the Camaro name and noone would help him out.
It is kinda sad, really.

The PROBLEM at hand has been clearly defined. I reminded everyone of a solution that has been in place yet is under-utilized.

You would think that if people were serious about wanting a CHANGE, they would act upon it since the opportunity is right there in front of them.

HOWEVER, it seems that most would rather do nothing around and complain and argue with each other about minor inconsequential details that will accomplish ZERO. Spewing out argumentative facts and figures along with "I heard this" and "I heard that" won't make things happen. That only strokes egos. I see it all the time here. When it comes time to participate in something that could seriously result in a positive change, everyone seems to quickly forget what they were complaining about in the first place, essentially ignoring the chance to solve the problem.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:20 PM

WOW I just thought I'd pass this along, "the "New Camaro" possibly being called a "Chevelle" just as a "hey, check this out".

I know there's ALOT of speculation about the possibility of a new Camaro out there, and we can only keep our fingers crossed IF Chevrolet brings out a "new" V8 RWD "muscle car", I hope its a Camaro, but if it isn't, at least I hope it's RWD w/ a V8

I look at it this way, whether or not the Camaro returns, I've got mine, and I'll continue to enjoy it. And if the time comes when I need to replace it, hopefully there'll be a "new" Camaro. If not, restoration!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:37 PM

If they aren't going to call it Camaro, why do they have to call in Chevelle, or Monte Carlo. Can't they make up a new name and start a new legendary automobile? If they had given the GTO a brand new name, nobody would have b*tched and moaned about it not being a real GTO and more people would have seen its pluses.

Quick Reply: Dec. issue PHR - "New Camaro" may be called "Chevelle"?