Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Dec. issue PHR - "New Camaro" may be called "Chevelle"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Disciple

Re: Dec. issue PHR - "New Camaro" may be called "Chevelle"?

Originally Posted by 3SuperSports
If the "new coupe" turns out anything like the new GTO, I'd prefer they call it a Chevelle.
Agreed ... and drop the Monte Carlo.

Include a comfy 4 seater 'vert with an LS2 and 6 speed and I'll have a daily driver replacement for my the SS 'vert.

Then bring back a true to heritage Camaro.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:37 AM

The plot gets a little thicker.

It's in limbo.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:49 AM

...keeping the faith, ...keeping the faith, ...keeping the faith...

But not past January 2006.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
A Chevy version of the GTO named "Chevelle" would be neat, IMHO. Don't know if there is a market for it, but if I were king, I'd make it available with fewer standards and more options...let folks decide if they want leather seats and all the other bells and whistles (and extra weight/price that goes along with those bells and whistles).

Off topic I guess...just got me thinking.
I drove a new Mustang over the weekend and it comes standard with all the bells and whistles, power windows,locks,air,cruise,tilt,power mirrors and the list goes on. The particular car had the leather interior and shaker 500 stereo and was just under 27,000. not bad for a fully loaded car. It woud be nice if GM had a car to compete in this range and a Chevelle version of the GTO might just be it. If the car sits up off the ground and you dont have to sit way down into it I would actually prefer it to a Camaro for a daily driver all season long.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:57 AM

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhere we go again.

Oh well....I think it would be a bad move for 2 reasons
1- The Camaro faithful, aka US, have been waiting for a Camaro since 03. Now if this car is all of a sudden changed to Chevelle, that will **** off future Camaro owners that have been waiting and keeping the faith.
2- The Chevelle enthusisasts who havnet seen a new Chevelle since high school, if at all. They will get loud and angry like the GTO purists did and say "its not worthy of the Chevelle badge" and "It looks like (insert object here) and its not a Chevelle"..
So now we have pissed off 2 die hard loyal enthusiast groups. If they do this, not only will I lose faith in a Camaro, I will lose faith in Chevy.

...but if the car comes out and its bigger then a Camaro, which makes us happy that it wasnt a Camaro, yet still longing for a Camaro, but makes the Chevelle guys happy with a true 2dr Chevelle, then I guess its gunna be us that get burned, and its not like GM hasnt shat on us before.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:03 AM

I won't say hello Mustang, but I will be grabbing a third gen...

What the HELL relevance does Chevelle have in the minds of buyers these days? GTO had more relevance, and look how well bringing this one back went over...

I love the GTO, and hope sales rebound. But GTO, in my opinion is more legendary than Chevelle when you step outside Chevy circles. I can see GTO for Pontiac...I cannot see a 2007 Chevelle. Period.

God, GM does a beautiful job supplying me with beautiful FWD daily drivers to choose from, but ignoring GTO, there's no fuel for this enthusiasts soul...

Pun fully intended.

Last edited by Jason E; 11-01-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:04 AM

Reality time folks.... what percentage of the original "Chevelles" were Super Sports? 5%? 10%? Because that's what everyone is bitching about this Chevy Coupe not being.

Heck the current Malibu is a lot closer to what the average Chevelle was.

If we're going to do it... do it right!

Make it available with everything from the 2.0L ECOTEC to the LS6. Make it come in 2, 4 and 5 door versions. (Gotta have a wagon.) Heck and while you're at it dump the Malibu and Monte Carlo because this new Chevelle will replace both of those in the market.

No my friends, naming the Chevy Coupe "Chevelle" does not make sense!!!

Do not fall into the trap others have! Buy into the conspiracy theory!!

It's gonna be called "CAMARO".
Old 11-01-2004, 11:06 AM

Wait whoa, you're telling me that the Camaro name is in limbo? Why in the hell would it be in limbo? The CAW agreement? I'm pretty sure GM bulldozed that plant. Is it the Canadians? If it is, I'll give my buddy George W. a call and we'll start a full scale invasion so we can have the right to our own damn ORIGINALLY AMERICAN car. Now is it in limbo because of styling? Or has my other buddy Lutz realized that the Torana chasis might be better suited to a Camaro? Because if I don't have a Camaro to buy when I get out of college, I'm gonna be reeeaaal pissed off. And I won't buy a Mustang. Ever. It's against my religion. I remember a time, oh wait no I don't I'm 18, but I'm sure there was a time when people were actually brand loyal and frankly, those who jump ship make me sick. Now would someone who has had the opportunity to read the article inform me as to why the Camaro is in limbo?

GM, you can't have an American Revolution without a Camaro. It's just not right.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Abidar
GM, you can't have an American Revolution without a Camaro. It's just not right.
THANK YOU!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:16 AM

And hell, while I'm at it, lets have a little rant... flame suit on.

I read all the time about you people "losing the faith." Let me ask you something, do you believe in God? Sorry to get all spiritual on you guys all of a sudden but if you do believe in God, then that is what most people call BLIND FAITH. You believe something is there even when you cannot see it, hear it, touch it, taste it, or smell it. You still go to church don't you? Yeah, you do. So I ask you, why can't you have some blind faith in the Camaro? I'm not trying to make the analogy that the Camaro is God(even though most of us worship our cars...), but why can't you believe? It sickens me, honestly. Many of you are too synical and everything seems to be "glass half empty" for you. Have a little faith...
Old 11-01-2004, 11:18 AM

Yep, I said it's in limbo, because it is in limbo.

Hell, while the Zeta platform is most definitely not in limbo, the vehicles that will be based off it still are!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:31 AM

If they axe the MC, and make the Zeta Coupe GTO sized (instead of trimming excess to make it look like a Camaro)...I do not see why it could not replace the Monte Carlo in the Personal Luxury Coupe segement. There used to be hundreds of thousands of RWD drive personal luxury coupes sold...and now there are none. Then it would take the heat off the whole Camaro name thing long enough to tie up loose end on the name and such...so when the Torana based Camaro is ready it can slide right in.

Anyway, if the car can be called Chevelle...on can safely assume it is large than we want our Camaro anyway.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 AM

The LS1 is God remember?!

TONY
Old 11-01-2004, 11:54 AM

This is the last refresh for the Monte. There's nothing on the board for that (as of now, we all know things change daily at GM).

So, its safe to assume the MC is dead in about '08.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
This is the last refresh for the Monte. There's nothing on the board for that (as of now, we all know things change daily at GM).

So, its safe to assume the MC is dead in about '08.

Which give or take a year is the same time the "Chevelle" would be here...

Replacing MC with Chevelle leaves plenty of room for a smaller Camaro.

Quick Reply: Dec. issue PHR - "New Camaro" may be called "Chevelle"?