LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

please help.....have a constant miss over 5K, please read, i cant figure it out....

Old 06-19-2002, 06:35 AM

damn....plugs will be the LAST thing i check after the fiasco getting the new ones in with the FLP's, what a goddamn nightmare! they will be on the list, hope its something else (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!)
thanks donnie, and aloha!
brian
TTT before work!
Old 06-19-2002, 02:37 PM

TTT
Old 06-19-2002, 02:51 PM
Banned

i didn't feel like reading the whole and i don'tknow if anyone mentioned this but...

defective new opti
defective installer ?
plug gaps
maybe ur timing is gettting retaded due to rea/false knock

false knock canbe fixed with LT4 KM
real knock - $5/gal of gas or rebuild- but your KM will bail you out so its not gonna hurt anything

------------------
- Project N/A Underway-
Estimated time of completion: June 26th
AIM: SUPACHARGED22
Old 06-19-2002, 03:58 PM

Usually the ignition module just blows. It doesn't die slowly.

I had 3 go on me and the car was driving perfectly fine up until it blew out. The voltage reg in my alternator was faulty and kept killing them.

What's your fuel psi at 5000rpm? Maybe buy a guage.

But try the $2 Wynn's can first.

------------------
'93 Camaro Z28 Automatic with a ZL1 hood.
No bottle.
No blower.
383 cubic inch serving of horsepower...hold the rice please.
Thats all you need to know.
Gripenfelter's Homepage

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily supported or indicative of the Government of Canada or any other Federal Employee.

[This message has been edited by Gripenfelter (edited June 19, 2002).]
Old 06-19-2002, 04:17 PM

Hey Gripenfelter,

Thanks for the post. On my 96 LT-1 I have run it with a fuel pressure gage attached to the fuel while driving under load. Fuel pressure is steady from 3000 RPM at WOT all the way up to the stumbling redline, about 39PSI. Good to know more about how the ignition module fails, that could save me some time and money.

What do you mean when you refer to the $2 Wynns solution? I like the idea of trying out something, if it does not mess anything up, that only costs $2 to try. Lots less than changing the Opti. Part of the point behind this thread is that I/we have read too many cases of LT-1 owners with similar problems replacing the Opti and still having the same problem. All are trying to do is replace parts that are actually bad.

Thanks for the feedback,
Bill H
Old 06-19-2002, 09:58 PM

yes, what is teh wynss solution? is it an engine cleaner that you pour in teh oil? i was advised that i didnt need it and that i should try the fuel system cleaner 1st. please let bill and i know!
brian
Old 06-19-2002, 10:23 PM

Gripenfelter is right about the Ignition module, usually when they go car quits. Using the LT4KM is a waste of $$$, I would just desensitze the knock sensor by 50% and see if that helps. I would also lean towards programing out the spark retard and as long as your not hearing knock I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sleeperZ96BT:
yes, what is teh wynss solution? is it an engine cleaner that you pour in teh oil? i was advised that i didnt need it and that i should try the fuel system cleaner 1st. please let bill and i know!
brian
</font>
Old 06-20-2002, 03:47 PM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HEATH:
</font>
DAM!!!!!!!!!! SORRY ABOUT THAT, IM NEW HERE HOW DO YOU POST WITHOUT A QUOTE? HEY BRIAN I HOPE WE GET THE FIX ON THIS ONE I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROB ON MY 94 T/A A4 IT HAS 53000MI ON IT AND IT MISSES EVERYTIME AT 5100 RPMS EXCEPT WHEN ITS COLD AT INITIAL STARTUP, ONCE THE ENGINES HOT FORGET IT ALL SHOW AND NO GO&gt; I DONT KNOW IF I INTRODUCED THE PROBLEM TO THE CAR OR NOT, 3K MI. AGO THE RT REAR EXHAUST MANIFOLD STUD BROKE OFF INSIDE THE HEAD AND DURING REPAIRS SO DID THE DRILL BIT :-) ANYWAY WHILE I HAD THE HEAD AND INTAKE OFF I INSTALLED NEW PLUGS DELCO, PLAT, AND MSD 8.5 WIRES REASSEMBLED THE ENGINE AND BAM MISSVILLE
HAVE TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING AND NOTHINGS WORKED YET

------------------
94 T/A LT1 A4
FEW MODS,KINDA QUICK
MISSIN BAD!
Old 06-20-2002, 04:45 PM

For what it is worth I know of plenty of supposed Tranny problems (no upshift or WOT upshift, shudders) that turned out to be a faulty Fuel Pump and/or Filter. Pressure is only one side of the picture. If you know someone who has a Low Amp Probe and a Vantage/Fluke get the fuel Pump Scoped. ALso, restricted exhaust can do this. Can you loosen it up at the manifold? I know it won't run perfect but just enough so that excess pressure can blow out and try it. I have also seen intermitant coil problems drive people up a wall but this is consistant. I would also want to drive it with a Scanner hooked up and see what the readings are doing? Going lean, etc. Timing being retarded. You get the idea.

------------------
For direct questions E-mail me subject: Tranny Problems

[This message has been edited by transfixleo (edited June 20, 2002).]
Old 06-20-2002, 08:33 PM

scanner says its a-ok. weird thing i noticed....before when it was happening it would fire up quick and kid of hang around 500 rpms and would move up and down periodically ~200 rpms. now it pretty much fires up and hangs at 750-800 rpms and has a nice smooth idle. WTF is up with that? maybe ill go out tomorrow and WOT it and see if i still have the miss...wouldnt it beat all if it just up and left?!?!?!
brian
Old 06-21-2002, 10:08 PM

TTT, still there, though not as pronounced FWIW, maybe i had a good day or something.
brian
Old 06-23-2002, 07:09 PM

Well I am going to do new plugs next weekend, and be sure ot use di-electric grease on both end of the plug wires. If that does not work then I suppose I'll do the Opti. Its a 96 with 65,000 miles and I did have a leaking h2o pump last. Hate to spend money just guessing (although lots of folks have had good results - so it's not a totally blind guess). If I get good results I will definitely post results.

Bill H
Old 06-28-2002, 06:36 AM

TTT
Old 07-03-2002, 07:25 AM

well, time to get this out of teh trenches. turned out i had an arcing plug wire. tightened all the wires and it didnt arc anymore. so i took her for a whip and she still did it, same damn time at the same place. installed the new ignition module also.......any suggestions??
brian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: please help.....have a constant miss over 5K, please read, i cant figure it out....