LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

please help.....have a constant miss over 5K, please read, i cant figure it out....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 12:48 AM

I think Hagancue might be on to your problem. I had the same thing with my (former) 97 Camaro V6.... it was due to my CAI. It was starving the engine for air at high RPM. I cleaned the filter and made sure the entire system was clean w/out any blockage. That solved the problem.... sounds similiar to your prob....cause mine pulled great too and then began to stumble suddenly above 5K. Anyhow, that's an easy thing to check.

Schantin
1997 Camaro Z28
Old 06-16-2002, 10:37 AM

thats an interesting idea. ive only had teh k+n for about 1 yr and 12k miles. how would the oil you are referring to get from the air filter to the MAS?
thanks for the replies,
brian
Old 06-16-2002, 12:52 PM

well i will try for you brian i remember someone said the opti wireing harness gave them problems anyone?

------------------
95 Z28 M6 with slp coated headers,slp 2otl cat back, cross drilled rotors, deleted maf screens,airfoil,slp sub frames, slp 160 thermo., slp skip shift elim.,slp air temp. module, slp cold air intake, Lt4KM, comp cams gold 1.6 rr's,lt4 clutch and pressure, energy supspension tranny mount, flowtech cutout, Taylor 8 mm wires over the valve cover, bf goodrich dr's, new best 12.88 with a 1.97 60'
88 jetta winter beater
87 honda cbr 600 hurricane fun to blast around on
Old 06-17-2002, 06:41 AM

im gonna order the ignition module today...ill let ya know how that works out, but in the meantime keep on coming with the suggestions!
brian
Old 06-17-2002, 07:55 AM

I too am victim to the LT1 hesitation. I am going to replace the intake manifold gasket. It leaks very badly, and I think it may be allowing air in during higher loads. I know that oil is getting in through the gasket, so are may be also.

That would mean a vacumm leak, which can through off that MAF reading if it is letting air into the system after the MAF. I also noticed that #6,8,5,7 cylinders had oil fouled plugs, but the car doesn't burn oil.

Reach back behind the engine and feel around the manifold to block. There is probably a significant amount of oil. If you want to wait a couple of weeks, I will be changing mine and I can let you know if that is the problem. I am 90% sure that's the problem though. I noticed the oil leak two years ago, about the same time it started to miss, but I never related the two together.

Scott

------------------
1997 Z28 MM6 Moroso CAI, Flomaster American Thunder, Taylor, Air Foil, SLP Headers, Crane Ignition, MAF, HPPIII, 4:10's, Summit Girdle, Drilled Rotors,
13.75@ 100.98 MPH
2.055 60'

No New Times With Gears....yet.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:22 AM

I had the same problem it turns out my water pump was leaking in to my opti. I had to replace both.. opti is a bitch.

i bet that is it for shure
Old 06-17-2002, 11:01 AM

Hi all, I had a similar problem…… went through everything ignition coil, module replaced the cap and rotor on the opti (when I opened the opti was brand new in side no carbon tracking, rust oils etc totally clean inside) check the wires and replaced the fuel pump etc … my o2’ were readings were good but noticed I was getting allot of spark retard when the motor would sputter.

I then added a MSD 6al box, which cleared up about 90 % of the sputter. Also around this time I was running a 4.5 PD supercharger which ran good until I toasted 3 pistons when I ran lean out when the intake gasket blow out of the back of the intake.
Well after the new motor went in I reused all of the ignition parts expect for MSD 8.5 wires … know the car has no problem winding out to 6,000 without bucking or surging… bottom line I would not touch the ignition until you replaced the spark plug wires first.
I went though all of the headache and replacing everything expect the wires because my thought was that the car only had 23,000 miles and I thought that the wires would still be in good shape which I was wrong.

[This message has been edited by Maldo (edited June 17, 2002).]
Old 06-17-2002, 11:42 AM

my cat is an aftermarket high flow that's welded on so i cant just unbolt it. My dad thinks it may be the wires so I'm changing them and the plugs as soon as I get around to it.

I hope we all figure out what's causing our problems. It seems there are all sorts of possiblities for this hesitation

------------------
Tim
1995 White Z28
-A4,3.23, Flowmaster AT catback, 3" cutout, high flow cat, 160* stat, !TB, LT4 KM, MTI cold air, LT4 ED timing set, Trans-Go shift kit, B&M tranny cooler, performance shift switch, descreened MAF, clear corners, '69 Z/28 emblems

1989 S10 4.3L A4
the beater
Old 06-17-2002, 04:14 PM

well, i have a new CSI WP that isnt leaking, so strike that, and i had teh intake manifold gasket done last year, so i doubt its that. only oil i have is on the front of the motor (yet to be determined, but its not the intake). good ideas, but unfortunately i dont think they are whats up. i ordered the ignition module today, so ill let ya know when it goes in. maybe ill get rid of the MSD wires. though they are only a year old i suppose they could have fouled for whatever reason. keep em coming, and if ya figure it out please post!
brian
Old 06-18-2002, 04:12 AM

When you changed your spark plugs, what gap size did you use?

Not to sure on you setup but are you running a blower?

The gaps that come with the new plugs are way off and none are the same out of the box.

Aloha!
Old 06-18-2002, 06:38 AM

no, i didnt regap the plugs, i was told they were OEM plugs just shorter. could this be the root of my problem? incorrect gapping? they came in sets of 4 so hopefully there is some consistency there.
thanks man!
brian
TTT
Old 06-18-2002, 10:25 AM

Hey Sleeper,

I hope it turns out to be nothing more than your plugs or wires. I am not so hopeful there in my case. Mine has had this problem sine motor install in car, with brand new MSD wires and new plugs, properly gaped. Let me know how the new module helps. I am encouraged that someone has fixed this same problem successfully.

Regards,
Bill H
Old 06-18-2002, 02:26 PM

well i bought some techron fuel system cleaner in the hopes thats all thats wrong.....ill let ya know, as well as when i get the module in!
brian
Old 06-18-2002, 08:15 PM

thought id get a TTT in before bed, hope i can figure this out!
Old 06-19-2002, 02:55 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sleeperZ96BT:
no, i didnt regap the plugs, i was told they were OEM plugs just shorter. could this be the root of my problem? incorrect gapping? they came in sets of 4 so hopefully there is some consistency there.
thanks man!
brian
TTT
</font>
I would recheck the gaps. I have never seen new plugs that came with the same gaps. Most of the new plugs that I have seen, are gapped at 065 or more. This gap would work fine and low RPM's and low cylinder pressure, but once you rev higher and add more cylinder pressure the plug is not able to jump the gap. I beleive the stock gap is 050. This would cause a miss at higher RPM's

Not saying this is the problem, just saying its something I would check.

I hope you find the problem.

Aloha!

------------------
97 Z28 M6 K&N FIPK T duals 2 1/2" LT4KM LT1 Edit csi pump Hooker LT 13.90 Best 2.2 60ft 102mph on street tires

Quick Reply: please help.....have a constant miss over 5K, please read, i cant figure it out....