LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Engine won't pass emissions, High NOX

Old 11-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Re: New Engine won't pass emissions, High NOX

you passed....you are good for 2 years. Hopefully what you did to pass this time will work in 2 years also....although in CA the emission laws are a moving target
Old 11-21-2018, 03:10 AM

Got the AC recharged and fixed, works great.

Unfortunately, one problem solved, another one arises.

The battery died today. I measured parasitic drain with a multimeter and it's around .15amps, which is about 150 milliamps so about 3x the upper limit.

I parked the car Thursday to fix the stereo and AC and haven't driven it until today so for about 5 days it was draining at that rate. Then, I got a DTC trouble code for 36, for the distributor. The oil leak from the water pump seal is causing havoc so I gotta address this now before I drive it anymore.
As for the opti, I'm going to pull the waterpump and opti and open up the opti and see if there's any oil inside. I RTVed the opti case when I installed a new cap and rotor so it shouldn't but I'll double check. Might just be oil on the electrical connector but I can't see with all the stuff in the way.

So..
any stereo or electrical experts here?
This is how the previous owner wired up the stereo.. The stock car had a bose system. He removed all the speakers except for the Bose rear speaker/amp combo in the trunk on the driver's side. Then he put in all 4 new speakers (2 front/2 sail panels) and new Sony headunit.

The way he wired it up is for the 2 front speakers... he cut the stock harness and wired the signal wires (green/white) to the speaker. The orange/black wires which are the power wires that the stock bose speakers used to have, are left untouched. So that part sounds OK.

But the rear speakers.... given that there is no harness back there he wired directly from the speaker to the headunit. The rear left speaker wires are T-spliced into front left signal wires at the stereo harness. (Same for the right side)

So you basically have the rear speakers piggybacking off the front audio+/- signal wires.

This was very strange because the balance/fader was all messed up and the Bose Rear Trunk Speaker/Sub/Amp combo was way louder than the aftermarket speakers.

So I kind of cleaned it up and T-spliced all 4 speakers into their RESPECTIVE signal wires at the stereo harness. This allows all 4 speakers to get the right signal. By T-splicing it, it also maintains the Rear Bose Trunk speaker/amp unit to continue to get audio signal because according to the wiring diagram, it looks like that rear amp gets it's signal from the stock harness rear audio+/- wires.

Now, if I were to CUT the front left &right, rear left&right wires at the harness and wire them to the speakers... that would completely bypass the Bose Trunk Unit Amp/speaker combo. I didn't do this because that unit sounds pretty good.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this hybrid type of audio system is causing a drain problem. The rear bose amp is tied in with the 4 aftermarket speakers and Sony headunit.

I haven't experienced battery drain previously because I wasn't using the stereo. I had the faceplate removed for the time being. Now that I cleaned up the stereo over the weekend and started using it, the battery died on me.

Either something I did to the wiring made the parasitic drain worse, or it was draining before just didn't at this rate because I didnt use the stereo until now. Listening to the stereo with the engine off for about 2 hours was enough to kill the battery. (+5 days of not running)

Is there something about the Bose system in particular or the wiring that may cause additional drainage on the battery? Need to investigate this further

Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

While measuring the parasitic drain, did you disconnect the loads/fuses one at a time to try and pin down the source of the drain?

Again, time for a new thread, a separate one for the battery/audio? problem. GaryDoug is good with electrical issues. I'll point him to your new thread.

The oil leak/Opti problem should also be a new thread. Seeing 6 pages and 77 posts, not directly related to the new problems might scare off people who would otherwise try to help.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Ok I'll make new threads for these issues
Old 11-27-2018, 02:15 PM

I didn't see an answer (though I was only glancing over posts); I believe that clip holds in the electric window/lock switch panel.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Is that the clip shown on Shoebox's photo?

Windowmotor1
Old 11-28-2018, 09:59 AM

That is what I was thinking Fred =D
Old 11-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Thanks! Yep I figured it out actually the previous owner had a few of those just lying around lol