LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Optispark Orange powder, possible code

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:14 PM

Optispark Orange powder, possible code

What is the orange powder I see that's coming out of the opti driveshaft and the back of the opti?

I also threw a code for DTC36 Distributor ignition system (faulty high resolution pulse or extra low resolution pulse detected)

When I reset the code, it went away. I haven't driven it much since but it didn't throw a code after I started it back up a few times.

My waterpump seal is leaking major oil, a puddle of oil every time I drive and come back. I thought it was getting all over the opti but when I pulled the waterpump off, the opti isn't really soaked in oil. There's no oil in the coil plug, none of the 8 cylinder plugs. Just a little bit on the exterior of the electrical plug though..

I RTVed the opti when I replaced the cap and rotor so it should be nicely sealed but wondering if I should be worried that the code came up once. Maybe oil got onto the electrical connector but the car wasn't running rough or weird.

I'm trying to decide if I need to replace the opti when I'm replacing the waterpump seal because I do not want to do this again lol
Old 11-28-2018, 03:30 PM

Re: Optispark Orange powder, possible code

You can see the orange powder here. No oil leaks from the opti seal though
Old 11-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Rust? The ozone generated by the high voltage spark causes the Opti internals to rust. The Opti vent system was added in 1995 model year specifically to eliminate that problem.

Wait and see if DTC 36 returns. The high res signal is not required for the engine to run. The problem/code does not have a significant effect on the way the engine runs. The ignition system loses a bit if accuracy, increasing spark scatter, but not to the point you would notice it. Mainly affects emissions. DTC 36 can result from damaged harness wiring, damaged or corroded harness connector pins, dirt, rust, or oil blinding the light emitter in the optical module. Inspecting the harness is a good first check.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately, I was already typing when you posted the picture. It is an unusual shade of orange.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:39 PM

Yeah it's weird, I'm not sure if it's rust. It could be. It seems to be some sort of byproduct from the opti inside where the sensor is? When I replaced the cap and rotor, the inside of the opti wasn't caked in the orange powder, it's originating from the back of the opti near the driveshaft.

Would you recommend I use this opti or does the code and this powder possibly warrant changing this out so I don't have to do this job again?
Old 11-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Did you put some kind of anti-seize on the shaft? Some of them are orange. Looks like some on the pump(?) shaft too.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:03 PM

Nope no antiseize or any grease, etc. It's like a powder thats coming from inside the opti