LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just finished my 1.7 RR install

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:11 PM

so what about using the stock pushrods with the setup on a stock car... as long as the rods are the 93-94? that have the hardened pushrods???
Old 10-16-2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by RallyRed701/2
so what about using the stock pushrods with the setup on a stock car... as long as the rods are the 93-94? that have the hardened pushrods???

you will be fine using them as long as they are the 93-94 hardened ones.......
Old 10-16-2003, 10:33 AM

I have comp cam guideplates allready, do I need special guideplates?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:21 AM

So if i go with 1.6rr ALL i need is springs? Mines a 94.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by RealQuick
I dont see why you would need special guideplates. They are really just that, a guide for the pushrod. Can't see them being any different really.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by 95_RipperZ
I dont see why you would need special guideplates. They are really just that, a guide for the pushrod. Can't see them being any different really.
I figured it out. I looked closer at his pics and his plates had a step up in them so they aerent one flat piece. I guess that was the problem. My comp cam ones are flat, so I should be good.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:03 PM

Something I'm not understanding here...

If your heads aren't ported, stock LT1 heads flow pretty much similar air from 0.400-0.600 lift, actually dying off after 0.500". Yes, there is the ramp, but that's a pretty small difference.

I imagine you can get some measurable benefit on this by taking the time to reassemble your valvetrain, springs, set valve lash and so on. But I seriously doubt that everyone can just bolt them on and expect 10 HP over 1.6 rockers. Even for 1.6 rockers on a stock cam and heads, the numbers don't always add up to 10 hp. Less than 10hp is kinda hard to qualify as "seat of the pants."

At least it works for some people, that's great.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:10 PM

do oyu have these installed on your car allready? because i tried manley guideplates(same as comps) and the boltholes do not match up correctly with the lt1 heads, i tried enlarging them to fit, yes it made them fit but also caused problems with gouging up a few of my pushrods . why you ask? Because the lt1's valves are spaced 1/2 an inch farther apart than the traditional small blocks....i found this out the hard way....trust me....get the gmpp plates and save yourself from all the problems i had.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by 95_RipperZ
refer to my last post for realquick...... yes guideplates are different, raised ones wont work either i know cause i tried them first before going to the manly's. then i ended up with the gmpp ones and they are perfect.....
Old 10-16-2003, 06:20 PM

I figured it out. I looked closer at his pics and his plates had a step up in them so they aerent one flat piece. I guess that was the problem. My comp cam ones are flat, so I should be good.

Whos pics? those arent my pics if thats what you mean
Old 10-16-2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by MattK
Something I'm not understanding here...

If your heads aren't ported, stock LT1 heads flow pretty much similar air from 0.400-0.600 lift, actually dying off after 0.500". Yes, there is the ramp, but that's a pretty small difference.

I imagine you can get some measurable benefit on this by taking the time to reassemble your valvetrain, springs, set valve lash and so on. But I seriously doubt that everyone can just bolt them on and expect 10 HP over 1.6 rockers. Even for 1.6 rockers on a stock cam and heads, the numbers don't always add up to 10 hp. Less than 10hp is kinda hard to qualify as "seat of the pants."

At least it works for some people, that's great.
putting in roller rockers with a higher lift is like going to a bigger cam, maybe not alot bigger, but still is close. if what your saying was true, then all the dyno graphs ive seen from someone switching from 1.6s with a hot cam to 1.7s and gaining 15 rearwheel hp was a lie then. And guys that are running lt4 hot cams with Stock heads are going mid to low 12s...so if the heads cant flow much while they are stock like you said. then the guys running cams shouldnt be makiing much more hp either to be able to run those mid to low 12s?

Did you notice my before and after runs i did with my tazzo on the first page?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:48 PM

Did you notice my before and after runs i did with my tazzo on the first page?

i dont meen to sound like an a**...... but i dont think moving up to 1.7 rockers can drop .4 seconds off your time.

if this was the case i think EVERYONE on the board would be running 1.7's!! do you have any real before/after TRACK times?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by 1995redZ28
i dont meen to sound like an a**...... but i dont think moving up to 1.7 rockers can drop .4 seconds off your time.

if this was the case i think EVERYONE on the board would be running 1.7's!! do you have any real before/after TRACK times?

no i dont have real TRACK times, these runs were done on the same road. with near identical weather conditions. why is a 4 tenth difference so hard to belive. one reason for the diff is a tenth diff in my 60 ft for one. so i belive it is actually a 3 tenth reduction in my time due to the rockers. i have the tazzo now so i dont have to worry about trying to get time off from work to make it to the track that is an hour away with a cost of 23 bux to run three or four times. with the tazzo i can run anytime,anyhere....aslong as it is in identical weather conditions, and the same road i dont see how it will be a big difference than running at the track considering the tracks around here prep like ****. dont get me wrong i love going to the track but with a 12-15 hour workday it makes it a little hard to get there nowadays.....

people are only really hearing about 1.7s being used, only a few people have ever used them. the first was SAR2K. he has all the bolt ons,stock cam,heads and bottom end and is also the fastest bolt on lt1 in the country........he ran 11.9......apparently 1.7 rockers had something to do with it..... Like i said doing these rockers took my stock .447in .459 ex lift and turned it into .506in-.520ex lift.... still hard to believe? then i say go out and get everything for this swap. do it. then dig up this thread and tell me what you think........
Old 10-16-2003, 09:38 PM

1995redz........

i see you have the hotcam with 1.6s.....what times do you run at the track? 12.6s around? what if i told you i could run around a mid 12 @ the TRACK with the way my car sits right now if the trans wasnt slipping? you would say, "your nutz!" i would say,
" how much do you want to bet me?"
Old 10-16-2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by MattysTA
Whos pics? those arent my pics if thats what you mean
Those were my pictures and yes the guide plates that you can see are NOT CORRECT as I hve stated on that page. You must use the flat plates.

Quick Reply: Just finished my 1.7 RR install