Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Blue Devil news.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Why are so many people assuming the C6 Z06 will be "low to mid $60's" or more?

I see no reason that the C6 Z06 pricing will be that far out of skew with the C5 Z06's pricing.

I am predicting mid $50's....
The current ZO6 model isn't really that different than a regular Vette, i.e. it doesn't cost a lot more to build. It is expected that the C6 ZO6 will indeed have more value added than the C5 version, and thus Chevrolet will have to add a larger premium to cover their costs.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Z28x
I think they could sell 1000 units easy at $90K-$100K. 600HP+ and 2900lbs. That thing would be a rocket and put the Enzo and Ford GT to shame.

Ford is building 3500 Ford GTs that will be slower, heavier, and have less HP and cost $50,000 more, and the way it is looking now the will sell faster than Ford can build them. The Viper is $84K and they sell 3,000+/- a year.

First off, read the first post again. This car will NOT be 90k - 100k. It will be higher and I'm predicting much higher than 100k. Second, I doubt it will have over 600+ HP and the person who seems to be "in the know" says it's in the 600 HP RANGE, not 600+. Third, we don't know how much it weighs yet, though 2900lbs is possible. That being said, GM *might* sell 1000 of them the first year (if they made 1000) since it would be new, but I seriously doubt it. The Blue Devil is missing two key elements: 1) heritage (I can see the flames already) and 2) a name like "Ferrari"

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Ahhhh, no. The number is to keep production low and create exclusivity to make the model special. They will have no problem selling 500. Ford GT what?
See my reasons above. Low production just increases price (thus well over 100k in my estimation). While the Blue Devil would be special, I don't think it would be as special as an Enzo or GT for some of the reasons above. Think about it, it's just a faster Vette. The Enzo and GT are their own cars, their own kind of special. The Blue Devil won't have this. Someone could buy a Z06, throw on a Blue Devil body kit (assuming it has one) or paint job and BAM! you've got a Blue Devil! It's much harder to do that with the Enzo or GT. Whether you like it or not, Ford GT is an awesome car, GM currently has nothing to match it so you can say "Ford GT what?" as much as you like, but it's king right now. Hail to the king baby!

Now, before you start bashing or racing with paper estimates, just think with your heads for a minute about what I typed.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by PaperTarget
but it's king right now. Hail to the king baby!

King of what? King of higher priced and lower performing vehicles?

Do you actually think that the only difference between the 2 Corvettes will be a body kit and paint job? Looks like you didn't read the beginning of the thread.
Also because it is not an all new model, the price will be more reasonable because of shared production costs with other Corvettes. This will allow the "Blue Devil" to be more car than the GT and sell for less money and the argument that people won't buy it because it is not its own model becomes less relevant.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
King of what? King of higher priced and lower performing vehicles?

Do you actually think that the only difference between the 2 Corvettes will be a body kit and paint job? Looks like you didn't read the beginning of the thread.
Also because it is not an all new model, the price will be more reasonable because of shared production costs with other Corvettes. This will allow the "Blue Devil" to be more car than the GT and sell for less money and the argument that people won't buy it because it is not its own model becomes less relevant.
Hmm, so for a production car, 0-60 in 3.3 seconds is low performing? I suppose a 1/4 mile time and speed of 11.6 @ 128 is low performing as well for a production car? You're pretty funny, but alas, I think you're actually serious. Name one, just one, production GM vehicle that produces these numbers. A production vehicle starting at $139,000 producing these numbers is a good deal in the exotic world.

I didn't say that was the only difference between the two. Read what I'm typing for once. If someone wanted to have the look of the Blue Devil, how hard do you think it'll be for them to achieve? Not very. And the price won't be that reasonable. Carbon fiber body panels are not going to be shared with the regular Vettes. There will be many underbody differences that won't be shared, you can bet on it. And while I think a possible 575 HP, 2900lbs Blue Devil will be fast, we have yet to see a real one. Now, if you can get past the GM bias and look at the reality for a minute, you'll see what I'm saying.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 PM

You have to forgive Papertarget. He is a diehard ford fan and the GT-40 of the sixties is his "holy grail". So naturally he his a fan of the GT.

My thoughts are if the "blue devil" is limited to 500 cars AND is spec'd out like the rumors then it will have a market value of what the ford gt brings regardless what GM sets the msrp. I am also confident this car would not be a z06 with a body kit and 600hp. This car was rumored to be mid engine a while back. That would definetly make a difference. It is possible to build that car for around $100k. just look at the ultima GTR http://www.ultimacars.com. Its basically a macleren F1 with a SBC in it. One guy even put in an ls1. When i first heard of the blue devil a year ago. The GTR was the car I thought of.

All of this is really moot. I cant afford one and I dont personally know anyone who can. This car is for the chevy bench racers to compete with the ford bench racers.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:13 PM

First off, read the first post again. This car will NOT be 90k - 100k. It will be higher and I'm predicting much higher than 100k. Second, I doubt it will have over 600+ HP and the person who seems to be "in the know" says it's in the 600 HP RANGE, not 600+. Third, we don't know how much it weighs yet, though 2900lbs is possible. That being said, GM *might* sell 1000 of them the first year (if they made 1000) since it would be new, but I seriously doubt it. The Blue Devil is missing two key elements: 1) heritage (I can see the flames already) and 2) a name like "Ferrari"
1) Every thing I have read says the car will be about $100K. To me that estimate means with $10,000+/- of $100K. No point in argueing on price since that car is 2 year out and who knows what will happen between now and then.

2) 600HP range could mean 575-699HP in my book. When the Blue devil story first broke the rumor was 625HP from a Twin Turbo V8. Since the Z06 will be "rated" at 500HP, over 600HP would be needed to justify the big $40K price increase.

3) C6 is lighter than a C5, C6 Z06 should be lighter than the C5 Z06. The current C5 Z06 is 3100lbs., the target weight for the next Z06 is about 3000-3050lbs. If the Blue Devil gets an all CF body and all that extra aluminum stuff, 2900lbs. should be no problem.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Z28x
1) Every thing I have read says the car will be about $100K. To me that estimate means with $10,000+/- of $100K. No point in argueing on price since that car is 2 year out and who knows what will happen between now and then.

2) 600HP range could mean 575-699HP in my book. When the Blue devil story first broke the rumor was 625HP from a Twin Turbo V8. Since the Z06 will be "rated" at 500HP, over 600HP would be needed to justify the big $40K price increase.

3) C6 is lighter than a C5, C6 Z06 should be lighter than the C5 Z06. The current C5 Z06 is 3100lbs., the target weight for the next Z06 is about 3000-3050lbs. If the Blue Devil gets an all CF body and all that extra aluminum stuff, 2900lbs. should be no problem.
1) True, we won't know what the price will be when it comes out. The original poster says $100+K. When the GT first came out, it had "shared" parts as well, as time went by, things changed. It was originally quoted as being about $100K. Just don't be surprised if the Blue Devil costs $30K more than what you think it will be.

2) Lots of rumors, I'm waiting for hard info (as many are). I'm not ruling out more than 600 HP, I just don't see them doing it. Also, remember that the supposed $40K price increase over the Z06 is more than just motor.

3) I agree. Time will tell. The GT was supposed to be 3000lbs too.

My main point is this, many cars look better on paper and in rumors before they're actually built as production cars. We need only think about the reality of this before racing on paper.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:26 PM

If such a vehicle existed it wouldn't be slated to be 1000 units, way under that I would guess, like less than 200.

The "heritage" comment doesn't strike a "flame" from me. It's an opinion and not based in fact.

Ferrari's are way past the $100K mark. Ferrari is a whole different customer when you are talking Enzo.

2900 pounds isn't light enough for an expensive piece, unless we're talking Ford or Dodge... they seem to like them heavy. GT is 3390# curb.

Take the Enzo, not all that light. The McLaren F1 was about 680 pounds lighter.

As for GT comparisons, different deal. It's a present day excercise in a retro theme. It was a smart move in a sense.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by cjwilson99
You have to forgive Papertarget. He is a diehard ford fan and the GT-40 of the sixties is his "holy grail". So naturally he his a fan of the GT.

All of this is really moot. I cant afford one and I dont personally know anyone who can. This car is for the chevy bench racers to compete with the ford bench racers.
Yes, I'm definitely a fan of the GT The original GT-40 is one of my favorite cars of all time.

Moot indeed. I will never be able to afford either car (and I would love to have both) unless I win the lottery, but since I don't play, that's not going to happen.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:22 PM

BTW, the most expensive Chevy evar!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
BTW, the most expensive Chevy evar!
How much would a 1990 ZR1 be after inflation? $70,000 in 1990 is $115 in 2007 dollars (3% a year)
Old 06-01-2004, 03:59 PM

Let the GM bashers say what they want but looks like the Corvette is gonna be trucking right along with the lead pack in the performance car world.

base C6 - 400hp

C6 Z06 - 500hp

BD C6 -600hp (Here little, little $200k exotic cars......)

I also believe the Z06 will come in right around current Z06 prices. If the Blue Devil is $100k (which I also think it will be around, I dont see why some think it will be around $130k +), it will still be a steal. Sure it wont be a Ferrari or Porsche or Lambo, but it will be able to punt those cars around and also with only 500 made, it will be exclusive. I love Camaros to death but man I wish I could afford a Vette.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:52 PM

I haven't seen any bashing
Old 06-01-2004, 05:10 PM

I would like to point out that if the Blue Devil is an all aluminum space frame it will cost quite a bit more to construct than the Steel space frame used today. Also tooling isn't around for a full scale carbon fiber car within GM so that would add to cost. I would be willing to stake my reputation that IF the Devil makes it out and anything that far out is a big if, just like the Camaro's return it is still an if, then it will be around 100K and WELL worth the price of admission.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:17 PM

The Ford GT will be one of 3500 total. It looks like no other car on the road today. The "Blue Devil" may indeed be faster but even if it is "One of 500" to the casual observer (non-enthusiast), it will be one of 40,000 commonplace corvettes (each year!). Ultimately, you are exclusive only to "those in the know." Kinda like driving a Bullitt Mustang.

I'm sure the blue devil will be neat, but If I had $140,000 to spend, I'd spend it on the GT.

Quick Reply: Blue Devil news.