Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Progress on repaint of 96SS to Millennium Yellow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 07:46 AM

Cool

Gosh...I want mine "yeller" too! It's gonna look awesome Brent!!

-Michelle

------------------
2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Whisper Lid,Ported MAF, Lou's Short Stick, SLP Loudmouth, Custom decals, Custom stripe kit,MBA phoenix shift ****, DMS lowering springs
My 2000 Formula
My webshots Albums
Old 08-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLEAR:
hey man the car is looking awesome. i probably would have left the roof, mirrors, and door handles black but it is looking really nice. be careful with it and enter some shows when u get it back since the appearance of your car will be perfect, and we all know you dont get very many chances to have a perfect finish on a car. </font>
Thanks! Yeah, yeah, yeah, you ain't the only one who thinks I should have left some of that other stuff black or painted some of the stuff yellow that I did paint black. LOL! Seems like I'm doing opposite of what many whould do. Oh well, only a few more days now until it'll be done and all the speculation on how it's gonna look will be over I'll have some nice pictures then we can all decide if I did the right or wrong thing! (black is cheap so hopefully if I made a mistake it will be with painting something yellow that should have remained black. LOL!)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SEQ:
Awesome Brent!
That's gonna look great.

Damion
</font>
It's going to look even better once I get the sequential turn signals installed that I robbed off the TA right before trading with my buddy. LOL! (He reads this board and I'm sure I'll hear something about this next time I talk to him. hahahaa)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NatureGirl:
woooooweeeeee! cool! you havfta get yellow carbon fiber trim kit for the inside now!!! I saw a cool yellow and black (fake) not long ago.........justa a idea..

</font>
Yellow carbon fiber trim kit, eh? I'll have to keep my eyes open for that. I don't normally like REALLY flashy stuff like that but maybe that'll look pretty cool. I just realized I said I don't like flashy things yet I'm getting the car painted yellow... does that make sense?

U 8 Dusst, yeah, all done up in Photoshop. I'm gooooooood!!! hahaha

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pewter 2kFormula:
Gosh...I want mine "yeller" too! It's gonna look awesome Brent!!

-Michelle

</font>
I think it's gonna look pretty wild myself My little sis has a Pewter SS and that is one of my more liked colors as well!

------------------
Brent Franker * Main Page
94 Vortech Z28 * 96 Z28 SS #1655 & #259
4th Gen Appearance Modification Guide
F-Body Install & Fix-It Guides
Old 08-21-2002, 09:43 AM

I must say Brent, they are doing a bang up job.

You must be a little anxious eh?

------------------
Michael
------------------
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic WS6 Coupe
GMMG Exhaust, MTI Clear Lid, BMR STB
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Sportside, 4.8 with 5spd
Street Scenes Grille,
HID Stage II Xenon Kit, Kenwood Speakers w/
12" Sub and Amp
Old 08-21-2002, 04:34 PM

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brent94Z:
I think it's gonna look pretty wild myself My little sis has a Pewter SS and that is one of my more liked colors as well!

</font>
If you like Pewter then....Wanna trade j/k. I was thinking of painting my car yellow but am going with a flame job instead. I dont feel like repainting my FRC's, Whisper lid, door panels and interior pieces over! Heheheehehehe!

-Michelle

------------------
2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Whisper Lid,Ported MAF, Lou's Short Stick, SLP Loudmouth, Custom decals, Custom stripe kit,MBA phoenix shift ****, DMS lowering springs
My 2000 Formula
My webshots Albums
Old 08-23-2002, 01:50 AM

Hey Brent, have you photoshopped a pic of your black car in millenium yellow? Just curious.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Cool

Don, YES, very anxious I just got off the mid shift ands stopped by there. They have the doors and front fenders on and it looks WILD! They have yet to put on the back end, front, and hood but it is looking like it will be very cool. They are in the process of completely stripping down the hood right now. They noticed the paint started to flake when they went to blow it off with air (sucky previous paint job on the hood) so they now are going to strip it completely to ensure no problems. That's delayed them a bit so I should have the car, hopefully, mid to end of next week!

Michelle, I like pewter but I like yellow better I think the right flame job would look awesome. My buddy has a very cool flame job on his car...

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/exh-0643_IMG.JPG

Not a very good picture but you get the idea

Mr. Fleming, good idea! I'll photoshop a picture of it and post it in about a week

------------------
Old 08-27-2002, 05:56 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brent94Z:
Don, YES, very anxious I just got off the mid shift ands stopped by there. They have the doors and front fenders on and it looks WILD! They have yet to put on the back end, front, and hood but it is looking like it will be very cool. They are in the process of completely stripping down the hood right now. They noticed the paint started to flake when they went to blow it off with air (sucky previous paint job on the hood) so they now are going to strip it completely to ensure no problems. That's delayed them a bit so I should have the car, hopefully, mid to end of next week!

Michelle, I like pewter but I like yellow better I think the right flame job would look awesome. My buddy has a very cool flame job on his car...

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/exh-0643_IMG.JPG

Not a very good picture but you get the idea

Mr. Fleming, good idea! I'll photoshop a picture of it and post it in about a week

</font>
Hey man once again it would be great to see some updated pictures!
man u must be getting excited to get the new ride out!
Take it easy!
Old 08-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ollie-99:
Hey man once again it would be great to see some updated pictures!
man u must be getting excited to get the new ride out!
Take it easy!
</font>
Ok, ollie-99, I have updated the page with a few more pictures. The pictures are a few days behind but I do have some new ones there with the panels installed! I'll try to get a few more on there soon

------------------
Old 08-28-2002, 09:58 AM

I have to agree with PainterPaul. I too have been painting for a little over 10 years, and I have painted plenty of yellow's (yes I mean plural, lots of different yellow colors), and we have always used a white base color as a value shade for the surface before the yellow is even applied. I have noticed all yellows are transparent to an extent.

We use Dupont ChromaPremier at my place of employment, which gives the best coverage, vs Dupont's next step down system, ChromaBase.

$1500 for paint alone? My wife is the paint mixer at my work, and on the Dupont computer system she uses to mix the paint it will list a cost of each gallon, in material cost by weight.

I'll check to see what "millenium yellow" should really cost. That just doesn't sound right. That cannot be their cost. It even sounds too high to be retail. I could be wrong though, I spray it, I don't pay it

[EDIT] I forgot to add that the #1 and #2 your paintshop was refering to is dupont's recommended Value Shade. Dupont will recommend the best value color for a prebase to obtain correct color to coverage without exceeding a set recommended mil thickness. If you have as much paint on there as you are describing, I'd be concerned of clearcoat adhesion. I'd hate to hear you post on here less than a year later your clear was peeling off in sheets and leaving the basecoat

------------------
Brent
1993 Z28 A4 3.23
K&N air filter, SLP LoudMouth, ES Trans mount, 1LE bellows and the list doesn't go on and on. That's it. But it's still fast and really loud
AIM: Bralgar

[This message has been edited by Bralgar (edited August 28, 2002).]
Old 08-28-2002, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

Bralgar, it was an offwhite base but, to me, looked far from bright white. The owner even showed me a flap of a piece of cardboard which comes with/on the millennium yellow and I could plainly read value shade #2.

He is using a Dupont Chroma something... can't remember the rest of it

Yep, $1500 for the paint. I say too. LOL! He has used all but an inch out of the 5th gallon and is, thank goodness, nearly done with the yellow. He'll have enough in this gallon to finish. He said the paint was $270 something or $280 something a gallon then you have to include the cost of the stuff you mix in... I'm not a painter so don't recall what he said. Yeah, ask your wife... the guy really has no reason to BS me because the price was already agreed upon and set. He even said 5 gallons is way too much paint to use on a car but he had no choice because he had to get the coverage. In fact, he mentioned something about a rep from the paint store (maybe Dupont?) possibly coming and looking at the car to see if they maybe offer some suggestions as to what the heck was going on.

That'll suck if the paint starts peeling off. LOL! But, I don't think the shop owner is worried about that. If he were, he wouldn't have continued on. He has been painting at that same location for 15 maybe 20 years... I'm pretty sure as long as I've lived in the area and I've been here for 17 years. So, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon and I'm sure he doesn't want to redo it 6 months down the road

Thanks for the info! Let me know what the wife tells ya!

I took a few more pics today (nose is on!) and will be posting them later if I can.

------------------
Old 08-28-2002, 05:36 PM

Two words.... BAD *SS!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up

Looking good! That thing is going to be sweet!
Old 08-29-2002, 11:41 PM

Hey brent you may want to ask him to give you the little bit left that is all mixed and ready to rock so that God forbid you get a scratch or ding you could touch it up. Just a thought, looks killer, I think some black outs on the front and rear will really stand out too.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:56 PM

Arrow

Ok, I had my wife run a check on the price and mix of Millenium yellow. Turns out it is approx $265ish a gallon (reduced). But here is the kicker, it is supposed to be mixed at a 2:1 with the basemaker (this is what the price reflects).

This is a different mix than the norm, most colors get a recommended mix of 1:1 with basemaker. So this would make the basecoat thicker. If your painter mixed the base at 1:1 it would be like water and require "lots" of coats.

When you Mix a gallon of paint the computer system asks for the # of ounces you want to make. If you want a gallon of ready to spray paint you input 64 oz and then add 64 oz of Basemaker (duponts basecoat reducer) after your done adding your tints (or toners as some call them) This would then be your Gallon of Basecoat and it is ready to spray (after a thorough shaking ofcourse) But millenium yellow would require you to set it to approx 85.3 oz and then top it off with your basemaker to make a gallon of ready to spray.

Am I confusing you yet? This could have been a reason it took five gallons. Ok assuming this is the case, lets do the math to condense your possible 1:1 mixed five gallons to a 2:1 mix : 5*64=320 oz of unreduced paint (assuming you had a 1:1 mix which would make this 640 oz reduced) and take that same 320 oz and divide by 85.3 (2:1 unreduced mix) and we get 3.75 gallons of ready to spray paint once reduced at 2:1. This of course is working off of the amount of paint already used and correcting for a different ratio, if your confused That's a difference of 1.25 gallons of basemaker only, that is what we removed in our 'rithmatic above. I can't remember off hand the price of basemaker per gallon. So that extra gallon you are paying for is just reducer and your paying full price for paint. Speculation of course.

But if your painter knew this already, and mixed it at 2:1, I look foolish I'm not trying to make anyone sound like they don't know what they are doing, not at all, but 5 gallons just made me go I'm just trying to help figure out why.
Can't say that I've sprayed that particular yellow yet, but I have done about 10 other different yellows, it's why I'm curious.

[This message has been edited by Bralgar (edited August 30, 2002).]
Old 08-30-2002, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by leftudoa:
Hey brent you may want to ask him to give you the little bit left that is all mixed and ready to rock so that God forbid you get a scratch or ding you could touch it up. Just a thought, looks killer, I think some black outs on the front and rear will really stand out too.</font>
They guy's shop is actually right down the road from me. If anything happens to the car, I'll just take it to him to fix

------------------

Quick Reply: Progress on repaint of 96SS to Millennium Yellow!