Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Progress on repaint of 96SS to Millennium Yellow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 10:01 AM

Brent looks killer! The only thing I would do is upgrade to the newer SS spoiler. Those 96-97 just dont do it for me lol.

Plus, since your the king of appearance I could have hooked you up with a killer deal on the 98+ WW SS Spoiler

Kant wait to see the car done

later
Jonel

------------------
~99 Anniversary WS6 M6 #1133~
White with Blue Stripes/Rims
White Leather - T tops
3" Flowmaster cat back
10K Miles <A HREF="http://projectrs.homestead.com/ws6.html" TARGET=_blank>
http://projectrs.homestead.com/ws6.html</A>

~95 3.4 White Camaro~
Wings West GFX
High Rise Wing and more!
SOLD on 4-16-02
http://projectrs.homestead.com

97 Grand AM GT ---&gt;New daily driver

88 LeMans My POS
Old 08-14-2002, 01:04 PM

Talking

That car is going to look SO ****ing sweet man ! ! Is there even 1 other millenium yellow camaro that anyone knows of ? ?

------------------
~Black 95 Z A4 Convert~
View My Modlist
P t ' s w e b p a g e
Old 08-14-2002, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ZRAPTOR:
Man,I can't wait to see that bad boy done.There is a canary yellow one here in Waco,but it doesn't look anything like that.I agree with you on the door handles.Kinda makes me want to go road hunting just to get a new paint job

</font>
LOL! Trust me, I didn't WANT to originally do this. However, I'm a bit whacked out and crazy at times and I'm not one to do something just to be doing it In fact, I tend to get bored with the same look... hence the reason I've got a few sets of wheels and took off the 97 style stripes I had and put the 35th style stripes on there. Then, when this happened, I saw it as an opportune time to change the color. There is no way I could justify spending this much money to change the color of a perfectly good car. However, if about half of it is being painted already anyway, hmm... might as well just get the rest of it painted and change the color while I'm at it. LOL! Opportunities like this don't come up often so I decided to take advantage of it. hahahaa

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ProjectRS:
Brent looks killer! The only thing I would do is upgrade to the newer SS spoiler. Those 96-97 just dont do it for me lol.

Plus, since your the king of appearance I could have hooked you up with a killer deal on the 98+ WW SS Spoiler

Kant wait to see the car done

later
Jonel

</font>
Kinda late for the spoiler change idea now!!! I too am anxiously awaiting the completion of the car. It's looking great so far and the color looks good too. Now, I just hope it looks as good when all the panels get stuck back on the car. LOL!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pu12en12g:
That car is going to look SO ****ing sweet man ! ! Is there even 1 other millenium yellow camaro that anyone knows of ? ?

</font>
Thanks! I have seen pictures of a couple plain yellow Camaros. In my other thread, somebody posted a very small picture of a yellow Camaro and it was difficult to tell but that one could have been millennium yellow. I do know there are no yellow or millennium yellow Camaros around here though! One thing that'll be very interesting is my buddy has a 2001 millennium yellow Corvette. We hang out together all the time. I'll definitely get some pictures of the two of us parked side by side. I wonder who's car will look better??? Yeah, right! Stupid question. LOL!

------------------
Brent Franker * Main Page
94 Vortech Z28 * 96 Z28 SS #1655
4th Gen Appearance Modification Guide
F-Body Install & Fix-It Guides
Old 08-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

New pictures just added

All panels have been wet sanded and now only need two more coats of clear. The shell of the car is still sitting in the paint booth waiting for the weather to improve. Been raining a lot here However, they do expect to start putting it back together this weekend!!!

Also, with this being a tint based paint, it is going to take 4 gallons to do this job This paint costs him over $300 a gallon I'm probably going to give him a little more $$$ because I don't think he was expecting it to cost him this much in materials and he is doing one jam up job!

------------------
94 Vortech Z28 * 96 Z28 SS #1655 & #259
Old 08-15-2002, 10:11 PM

If they haven't sprayed the final paint on the nose, have them do the black on the headlight buckets and grill area first, then clear over it. That way it's all shiny and you can wax right over it all.

Usually a body shop will spray the nose all one color, then tape off and spray paint those areas flat black with rattle can.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whistler:
If they haven't sprayed the final paint on the nose, have them do the black on the headlight buckets and grill area first, then clear over it. That way it's all shiny and you can wax right over it all.

Usually a body shop will spray the nose all one color, then tape off and spray paint those areas flat black with rattle can.
</font>
They are doing it the way you want them to do it Both the black and yellow were painted with the base color and now the clear is going on over BOTH of them at the same time. It looks pretty good, IMO, even though several thought I should paint the entire front end yellow. Yuck!!! j/k

Old 08-16-2002, 11:43 AM

The car looks like it is in good hands, I believe that shop is doing a fine job. My concern is the amount of coats it took to get the color they wanted. I have sprayed cars for 10 years and never had to even spray a tri-coat tint more than 4 coats. He never mentioned a groundcoat for the yellow tint. It sounds to me like they didn't use the correct groundcoat. The Yellow you chose is a tri-coat, the base coat is a bright white, the Yellow being a very transparent tint, it can be shot under-reduced to actually cover, but it would take at least 7-9 coats to do. With a groundcoat, you can get away with only spraying 3 or 4 coats. That color is very poor covering, it is not fun, but 9 coats tells me the groundcoat is not right. It won't be a problem for you, because they are spraying the entire car, but the next painter who has to blend into their color is going to have a tough time.

------------------
'93 Z28, Red, LT1 (rebuilt and stock), K&N CAI, Auto w/ 2500 stall, shift kit, 3.23's, All options except T-Tops.
Old 08-16-2002, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by painterpaul:
The car looks like it is in good hands, I believe that shop is doing a fine job. My concern is the amount of coats it took to get the color they wanted. I have sprayed cars for 10 years and never had to even spray a tri-coat tint more than 4 coats. He never mentioned a groundcoat for the yellow tint. It sounds to me like they didn't use the correct groundcoat. The Yellow you chose is a tri-coat, the base coat is a bright white, the Yellow being a very transparent tint, it can be shot under-reduced to actually cover, but it would take at least 7-9 coats to do. With a groundcoat, you can get away with only spraying 3 or 4 coats. That color is very poor covering, it is not fun, but 9 coats tells me the groundcoat is not right. It won't be a problem for you, because they are spraying the entire car, but the next painter who has to blend into their color is going to have a tough time.

</font>
Well, it sounds like you found the "problem" so to speak because I know for a fact there was no white undercoat!!! I do know also he has never painted/fixed a car with Millennium Yellow so it could be he just didn't know about this white base coat? I'll mention it to him for the next time he tries to paint a car Millennium Yellow. LOL!

Thanks a lot for the info! The guy painting it has, I think, close to 20 years experience. I know he does some import jobs with the fancy paints so it's odd he wasn't aware of this with this paint. Oh well... I'll be sure to tell him though for next time!

------------------
Old 08-16-2002, 12:10 PM

Sounds like that is one candy paint job though, with alot of coats ! Might be a good thing !

------------------
~Black 95 Z A4 Convert~
View My Modlist
P t ' s w e b p a g e
Old 08-18-2002, 01:20 PM

hows da paint goin??
man u gotta update those pictures!
i wanna see how it turned out...

------------------
1996 Z28, B&M Ripper Shifter,K&N FIPK, Wings West W-Type Body Kit, 17" AR Rims, white face guages,TB Bypass, clear turn signals
Old 08-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Cool

LOL! It ain't turned out yet... still turning out Looking good though! I stopped by there and snapped a few more pictures. They are going to have to use 5 gallons of paint They never expected that... not at $300+ a gallon.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/ssrepaint.htm

pu12en12g, actually, I believe more coats is worse. The less you can get by with the better... I think. Also, the paint guy was telling me it would be better if we didn't have to wet sand and buff the car. But we are going to have. It will still look great but the clear will just be a little thinner than if it didn't need sanded and buffed.

painterpaul, I mentioned what you said about the bright white base coat. He said basically said that would be a #1. This paint specifically calls for a #2 and he is doing just as it says. Also, it is a Dupont paint... chromo something He told me with a frown that he couldn't recall the last time he used 5 gallons of paint to paint a car.

------------------
Old 08-19-2002, 08:09 PM

hey man the car is looking awesome. i probably would have left the roof, mirrors, and door handles black but it is looking really nice. be careful with it and enter some shows when u get it back since the appearance of your car will be perfect, and we all know you dont get very many chances to have a perfect finish on a car.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:34 AM
SEQ

Awesome Brent!
That's gonna look great.

Damion
Old 08-21-2002, 03:28 AM

Cool

woooooweeeeee! cool! you havfta get yellow carbon fiber trim kit for the inside now!!! I saw a cool yellow and black (fake) not long ago.........justa a idea..

------------------
~*~*~Nature Girl~*~*~
Kar Krazy
AIM: DeSert RoSe 7O
thats not the # zero its the letter O after 7
Old 08-21-2002, 03:40 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Compstall:
Damn dude you got a lot of wheels.
</font>
They're all just photoshop, right Brent?

------------------
Brian AKA Tha Dusstman
www.NORCAL-LS1-LT1.net
2000 NBM SS M6 #6115
‹^› (°¿°) ‹^›

Quick Reply: Progress on repaint of 96SS to Millennium Yellow!