Engine Swap Thread. V6 to...? - Page 5 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Engine Swap Thread. V6 to...?

Old 10-20-2004, 01:24 AM

Re: Engine Swap Thread. V6 to...?

sorry if my question has been answered above, but i'm not reading through all that to find my answer.

question:
my friend has a 95 v6 camaro with a 5spd. he's wanting to use the 327 out of another friends camaro and keep the 5spd. i'm not sure but it has been my thought that the V6 bellhousing was the same as the V8. also, is there anything on the Kmember that he'll have to change besides the motor mounts? i know there will be some cowl issues with the distributor, but other than that is there gonna much of a fitment problem?
Old 10-22-2004, 04:39 PM

I am finishing my 3.4/5 Speed to LS1/A4 Swap. Was going to integrate the interior and underhood harnesses but just said screw it and swapped everything except the rear axle (used an LT1 rear axle since the donor cars axle was toast). I think the best way to do the swap is get the entire front dropout assembly, all the wiring, ls1 gas tank and ls1 fuel lines just to make it easier. I ended up stripping the donor car down to a shell and just swapping everything except the interior wiring to the doors. Anyway.. some interesting things I noticed:

LS1 Hatch release mechanism is different than the V6 one
I used a 98 Underhood harness with the original V6 door/window part of the harness and a 2000 Dash and Dash harness/engine harness.. everything plugged in and worked. I don't have ABS or TCS or airbags though
Hole in body for Fuel Pump/EVAP/TCS connections to gas tank/rear axle is smaller in V6 car.. needed to open it up to put the LS1 part in
Connection to rear third brake light is different on LS1/V6.. just re-soldered old connection on
Headlight connections/turn signal connectors are the same on old and new body style harnesses
no holes in front radiator support to mount LS1 style lower airbox.. have to make your own
Holes to mount heat shields were missing on V6 car.. had to drill em
Had to use A4 LT1 crossmember and move the mounting point back an inch or two by welding a plate to it.. I heard that a A4 V6 trans crossmember will work but I didn't have one and finding one is a pain
Hood won't fit with LS1 lid.. going to get a Ultra Z hood later.. for now just going to cut a hole in the stock hood and run hoodpins..

I ended up spending about $3200 on the swap including the V6 car. Car was $200, all the LS1 parts were $2500 (a friend totalled his ls1 and sold me everything I needed for the swap) but the car I used is a salvage title car that had a slight hit on the driver side front. I still need to replace the fender, front bumper and headlight bar.

Only have a few pics:

http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/~ahartoun/ls1motor1.jpg
http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/~ahartoun/ls1motor2.jpg

I also helped do a 3.8 to LS1 swap but that one is a lot easier because the wiring is pretty similar between the two so you don't need to swap everything. The guy used his stock tank and lines and ordered the early corvette return style fuel rail.

Last edited by aram; 10-22-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:46 AM

Thanks Aram. I'm really considering doing it. Going to the junk yard tomorrow actually to find out some prices on donor cars.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:30 AM

If you have any questions let me know. I should have the car running in a day or two. Needs about 2 hours of work to drive, but waiting on a few parts (y-pipe/exhaust gaskets/brake line/trans cooler). It should run in the 12's no problem when I'm done. Should have track times in a week or two.

Best part about building this car is I won't feel bad hacking up and beating the crap out of a $200 car as compared to a 98-up ls1 that cost $10,000+.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:01 PM

You guys that have changed the underhood harness....I've been at it for 4 hours already and what I have left to do. Is at the abs mdulator back to the dash. and the the tube that runs somwhere for the windsheild washing fluid. Do I need to pull the master brake or clutch cylinders to get to that bolt...do i need to pull the branke modulator.....do i need to pull interior parts to get to anything... do i need to pull ythe interior fuse block some how
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????/
Old 12-02-2004, 04:00 PM

If you are changing the underhood harness you need to disconnect the old one from the dash harness. It's not really obvious how to do it, and it took me a while to figure it out.

1. Remove the bolt holding that big connector onto the firewall (7mm?)
2. Go under the dash.. find that huge bulky rectangle connector and it's held together by a 7mm (i think) bluish bolt. Undo that bolt and pull the connector apart.
3. On the engine side of that connector you took apart there are two plugs attatched to it on the side that come off.. one goes to the power door locks and windows, disconnect that one (use a flathead screwdriver)
4. Pull the harness out through the hole in the firewall where that big connector is
5. Might be some more stuff.. but that's the big thing to get it out

Also I used an entire LS1 interior/dash harness, It might take a long time, or be near impossible to get your old dash harness to connect to the ls1 underhood harness. I would get a ls1 dash and interior harness (and the dash and gauge cluster if you need it) and make your life a lot easier.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:46 PM

ok cool, Ill be checking it out soon, probably put on another post when i get stuck
Old 12-03-2004, 04:35 PM

ok guys....do i definetly need to take out the brake master cyinder+booster and the abd modulator??????????
Old 12-04-2004, 09:03 PM

How about the dash harness how much will i need to take off and do i have to ttake off the door skins?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:27 AM

Door skins can stay. You can leave that whole harness in the car.

You can probably leave the brake stuff in.. if the harness wont make it without it coming out.. then you have to pull it. It sure would make it easier. The booster is kind of a pain to remove though.. the nuts are under the dash inside the car. If you are replacing the dash harness the dash meeds to come out. That's kind of a big job.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:40 PM

My other problem is that i dont know what year to buy of the underhood harness I vought the engine n pcm together as a 96 but i dont think it is cuz of the coil which is a 95 and there is no crank pos sensor on the timing cover if i bought a 96 underhood harness am i gonna have a problem or does anyone know how to read the number that is on the pcm?? if you have any more questions do a search of my user name i have other threads pertaining to my odd engine harness
Old 01-17-2005, 11:45 AM

i have a 95 camaro with the 3.4L and my mom ran it way low on oil...and the engine is ready to blow...so an alternative to rebuilding it..or buying a rebuilt...i have an 85 pick up that has a 4.3L v6 out of 89 astro in it...was wondering how doable of a swap that'd be into my camaro...i dunno if i need a new tranny or not...
Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 PM

Sorry, I can't help you with the swap info, but where are you located ? I have a '95 3.4 for sale cheap!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:09 PM

i'm in the cincinati area in ohio...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:06 PM

Can any one help me with some info on a swap kit for a swap from a 3.4 to a tbi 5.7 in a 96 camaro.
racin12

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Swap Thread. V6 to...?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.