V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Engine Swap Thread. V6 to...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 04:10 PM

Re: Engine Swap Thread. V6 to...?

phoenix95,

it should be a lot easier for you and no, you do not have to change your dash harness. From what I can tell, the 94 and 95 are the closest match. If you are swapping from an v6 A4 to an Lt1 A4 it makes it easier still.(5speed to 6speed is also easier). Where it can be somewhat intimidating is going from a 5speed to automatic because you have to add the neutral safety switch wiring and remove the clutch switches and associated wiring. Another thing to remember is the underhood harness for the v6 has only one connector to interface with the engine harness whereas the lt1 has 2 connectors. I kept my original v6 1 connector underhood harness and combined some functions of the 2 connector lt1 harness into 1 connector. By eliminating the air pump, and the secondary coolant fan I didnt have to add any relays or wiring to my original underhood relay center. I did swap out some fuses for higher rated ones (injectors for example) and the service manual will show you all that. The v6 harness also doesn't have a wire for serial data(LT1s do) and I had to add a wire for that from one of the 3 connectors that tie the underdash harness to the engine harness located in the pass footwell. Basically, I ran a 3 foot wire from a underdash connector to the pcm. The easiest solution would be a lt1 underhood harness to match the engine harness, as all the connectors are there, the relay center has all the correct relays, and the necessary serial data line. I couldn't use the 96 lt1 underhood harness because it didn't have provisions for my 94 airbag system.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:54 PM

yes im going from V6 a4 to V8 A4. I can tell you are well off in the electronic dept. See me, im a newbie like you wouldn't believe, so I didn't really understand much of what you did. To try and simplify it a lil bit, from what im gathering, if I went your route and tryed to do this step by step with a lil help. I could keep my stock Dash harness, but if I went ahead and used a whole LT1 engine harness and scrapped the V6 one, I'd need to change the dash harness or no? And if I went that route would I have to use year specific 94 harness or would a 95 work as well and maybe I could maybe go your route a lil easier with the 95 harness to keep my stock dash harness?? hope this makes sense, and I can knock the cob web's out on this matter and open my eyes a little more to the complexity if it all. Im sure im making it ALOT more complicated than it really is. Its just the whole being new to it all.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 PM

95phoenix,

it sounds more complicated than it really is, and once you get to doing it, it will become clearer. You are swapping a v6 a4 to an lt1 a4, good, that's easier. You need a 94 or 95 engine harness, as they are the same. You should also get the underhood harness for a 95 lt1, or if one is not avaliable, a 94 will also work. With the engine and underhood harnesses, it should be a plug and play into your 95 dash harness, with no rewiring needed. Now, if you cannot get a lt1 underhood harness, then you will have to do some of what I did. A big part of my swap was rewiring the dash harness from a manual to automatic, which you don't have to worry about. Don't sweat this stuff, just do the swap and it will become a lot clearer as you go.

ps: put on a flowmaster force2 catback exhaust system and went 8.95 at 79 mph in the 1/8 tonite CAI and headers are next.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:49 PM

thanks alot man, that clears more up for me, this wiring experience will be quite the experience, but as you said, im sure it'll come to me as I go along. I have a couple guy's helping but they are probably gonna be a lil stumped at first on the wiring too, but as far as the swapping the engine/tranny/etc. part, that'll be cake, its just the wiring lol. Thanks for the help. And congrats on the times.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:39 PM

by the way, Is the underhood harness you're talking about the relay harness?

Last edited by 95phoenix; 08-05-2004 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:04 AM

yes, it connects to the engine harness by the pcm, it has the connectors for the headlights, fans(s), abs, and the relay/fuse block underhood. It connects to the dash harness under the steering column after it passes thru a bulkhead by the master cylinder.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:13 PM

Thanks again, im really starting to put this all together in my head and it sounds like I definatly got lucky getting a 94 95 combo next to getting both year specific. Im sure this will mostly be plug and play but if I run into any head scratchers ya mind if I pm ya?

Last edited by 95phoenix; 08-05-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by nytrus1
95phoenix,

it sounds more complicated than it really is, and once you get to doing it, it will become clearer. You are swapping a v6 a4 to an lt1 a4, good, that's easier. You need a 94 or 95 engine harness, as they are the same. You should also get the underhood harness for a 95 lt1, or if one is not avaliable, a 94 will also work. With the engine and underhood harnesses, it should be a plug and play into your 95 dash harness, with no rewiring needed. Now, if you cannot get a lt1 underhood harness, then you will have to do some of what I did. A big part of my swap was rewiring the dash harness from a manual to automatic, which you don't have to worry about. Don't sweat this stuff, just do the swap and it will become a lot clearer as you go.

ps: put on a flowmaster force2 catback exhaust system and went 8.95 at 79 mph in the 1/8 tonite CAI and headers are next.

Guys, I'm doing one a little different and have a few questions...'95 Camaro 3.4L/At swapping in a '94LT1 originally in a M6 car, but I'm putting a 4L60E in instead of the M6. First question is the harness going thru firewall to pass.side kick panel has more wires in the connectors than the ones currently in the v6 car. What's the diff ? And since I'm going to an Auto (which the LT1 was originally manual) can I convert the 4 connectors I have on the LT1 harness to the M6, over to the A4?
Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:11 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know... I posted earlier in this thread, but the time has come. MY tranny blew last weekend so I'll be starting the LT1 swap next week Bought an LT1 with tranny, computer, wiring harness, crossmember, speedo, front struts, radiator, ypipe on ebay. Got a deal on headers from a local shop. Looks like all I need to get now is a bigger fuel pump and possibly an airbag sensor? The engine is a 95 LT1, and my car is 96.

I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:52 AM

its incredible that nobody is talkking about swapping a 95 3.4l to a y2k vette ls1. im getting one right now for 500 bucks!!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM

1 question

Will an LS-6 fit in a 99 camaro? I have to take my car off the road for a long time so I want to do somethin crazy like that.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:55 PM

Does anyone know where to find a write-up of all the steps to swap a 3.8 v6 for an LS1? or has anyone done it that could help me out?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:07 AM

This helped me out... http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_ls1.htm
Old 09-16-2004, 04:16 PM

I've been there but I was trying to find some sort of a write-up or instructions on how to do it? Thanks for the help though
Old 09-17-2004, 05:34 AM

ok, how about this one...
http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

I used this one also, except I borrowed a set of jackstands about 36" tall instead of building the blocks.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Thread. V6 to...?