98 3.8 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 PM

Re: 98 3.8 question

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
I just give up...

how about this fact.

14.4 is faster then 14.8

$100s less was invested on the car that rant he 14.4( then the car that ran the 14.8. and weight reduction other hten the Jack/spare was not a factor.

Thats great.. totaly irelivent but still great. We hit 14.8 with less then 400 in work and on a slipping clutch. Not a bad price to pay for beating up on 98 and under GT mustangs and 99+ mustangs that can't drive.

I wish our track wasn't loacted in a damn swamp whre it's always in the 70+% humdity range
Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Thats great.. totaly irelivent but still great. We hit 14.8 with less then 400 in work and on a slipping clutch. Not a bad price to pay for beating up on 98 and under GT mustangs and 99+ mustangs that can't drive.

I wish our track wasn't loacted in a damn swamp whre it's always in the 70+% humdity range
My car did the 14.4 with $0, and I MEAN $0 in mods, down to the showroom tires with 37,000 miles on them. and my track is located in a swamp as well, (its wetlands between orlando and the east coast, where OSW is located.)
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 AM

again. Thats great, but irelivent. My LT1 is a full second faster then you. that must mean that I am right after all. 13.5 is faster then 14.4 right?

And trust me. Thats no swamp. Come to louisiana, I'll show you a swamp. I was at the track last night. 85% humidity and just shy of 90 degrees.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 AM

Thats great its an lt1.... You also have abotu a $1k into it... and I think I might get into the low 14s, high 13s this fall... on the tail of your lt1.

won't make any claims though till I do it.

so thats a real swamp?

hasn't rained in 3-4 days so its been kinda dry.

right now its 87* 70% humidity...

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...nav_undeclared

you should see when it rains...

there about 5 different places to go on airboat rides and pet gators withing 10 min of our track. Its in a wonderful town called "bithlo"

Last edited by MustangEater82; 08-11-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:53 PM

you have never head of the swamps of Louisnana?? My city is 18 feet BELOW sea level. When it sprinkles here it floods. It also doesn't help that it rains almost every day.

Right now at 7PM the weather says. 88 degrees (feels like 94 degrees) with 60% humidity (it will get much higher as the night goes on). I actualy wish that I the track was open today. much better weather them lastnight was.

Actualy I have about 5 grand into my car. 90% of it being the 12 bolt and very expensive and heavy driveshaft. Both of which are slowing me down. I just like to plan for the future and upgrade before I actualy break something. I could have spent a lot less and gone a lot faster but when I drop teh clutch at 4 grand on a set of slicks I want to know that it will make it past the 60 foot mark.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 PM

so you are below sealevel gives you a better DA...

not saying you don't have swamps but its the same **** at OSW too... So don't use it as an excuse about why the v6 you had ran slower.

as of 9pm its 85* and 67% humidity... pretty much the same as you. Usually higher himidity but it hasn't rained for a few days.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:00 PM

DA doesn't start really effecting you until you start getting above 4-5000ft anyway. here in MI, the average DA is 2000-3000ft, but the dyno correction factor is still only 1.03-1.05. In CO, where the DA averaged 9000-11000, the dyno correction was usually between 1.18 and 1.23. HP loss goes up exponentially as elevation increases. I'm sure you two in FL and LA rarely see a DA really worth mentioning.

Last edited by Teufel Hunden; 08-11-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:15 PM

I'm gonna be honest... this thread is hilarious. As for the exhaust arguement... I'm not gonna even get into it, well maybe I will a little. I have 3", i love it, i beat people who have 2.5" and no not flowmaster. That's beside the point though. If you are modding the 3.8L and plan on doing more than just intake and catback exhaust you should get 3". I'm getting a cam by the end of the year and I know for a fact that my header-hiflowcat(3")-3" catback will do much better than 2.5" if it doesn't already (and i think it does).

As for the 4" question with v8s, I find that alot of people would do 4" if it weren't such a PITA to get it to fit. I also know many people who do 2.5" true duals and sometimes 3" true duals on thier v8s since 4" is too hard to fit.

But that's just my real world experience and since that doesn't mean anything I'll let you two continue your arguement
Old 08-12-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Camabird
I'm gonna be honest... this thread is hilarious. As for the exhaust arguement... I'm not gonna even get into it, well maybe I will a little. I have 3", i love it, i beat people who have 2.5" and no not flowmaster. That's beside the point though. If you are modding the 3.8L and plan on doing more than just intake and catback exhaust you should get 3". I'm getting a cam by the end of the year and I know for a fact that my header-hiflowcat(3")-3" catback will do much better than 2.5" if it doesn't already (and i think it does).

As for the 4" question with v8s, I find that alot of people would do 4" if it weren't such a PITA to get it to fit. I also know many people who do 2.5" true duals and sometimes 3" true duals on thier v8s since 4" is too hard to fit.

But that's just my real world experience and since that doesn't mean anything I'll let you two continue your arguement
Completly wrong. if you followed the links to FBv6 you would see why. Unless your putting out over 275 HP from your cam swap. your just totaly ignoring fact and going with teh popular choice because everyone tells you that it's right. In another life you were probably a lemming.

as for the track. The track itself is 12 feet above sea level. it's a little over an hour from where I live. It's a GREAT track. Low altitude, great prep ect. Just in the summers no one does **** because of the heat. Especialy considering that everything runs during the evening when it's really sticky out. When I was there for teh thunder racing shootout it was in the morning/afternoon. it was like 80 something degrees and only 40% humidity. It would have been perfect weather. Thats why the best time to run there is in the dead of winter. It's still like 50 or 60 degrees but usualy won't get past 70% humidity. hopefully this september I will be making a trip to an fbody meet at ATCO. I hear they have a great track and great weather. It will be interesting to see how I do up there.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:20 PM

Completly wrong. if you followed the links to FBv6 you would see why. Unless your putting out over 275 HP from your cam swap. your just totaly ignoring fact and going with teh popular choice because everyone tells you that it's right. In another life you were probably a lemming.
Actually I am expecting more than that because Lance from Abbott racing has 271rwhp from his heads and cam stuff and I'm planning on a much bigger cam. I'll be getting heads a little while after the cam but I plan ahead with my mods.

As for the track talk, the track Eric (mustangeater) was talking about, OSW, is a terrible track, LOL! Worst prep ever and even professional drivers have a hard time getting good launches down. I wish we had a better track
Old 08-12-2005, 02:34 PM

You're doing a great job building and educating your customer base!

Customers love being told they're idiotic lemmings who know nothing Makes them feel confident that your arrogance was the best choice for them afterall!

Just something to keep in mind when you get your shop 'up and running'
Old 08-12-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden
You're doing a great job building and educating your customer base!

Customers love being told they're idiotic lemmings who know nothing Makes them feel confident that your arrogance was the best choice for them afterall!

Just something to keep in mind when you get your shop 'up and running'

It really doesn't matter to me. If they base buying products on what happens during a technical post then I wouldn't want them buying from me anyway. Me telling him that he is wrong (didn't call him an idiot either) has nothing to do with how I conduct my business. He is wrong, if he belives he is right thats not my fault. He ignored all of the proof and sugestions that I have posted even tho a lot of other people are actulay getting use from it. Like I said, just another lemming following the others..... right off a cliff and rolling down the hill. people need to think for themselves. "3" is fine, don't belive anything else" is in no way a good reason for someone to use 3 inch. The information that I provided is something that everyone can use to help design them a system that is best suited to THIER application. What ever it may happen to be.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:51 AM

It really doesn't matter to me. If they base buying products on what happens during a technical post then I wouldn't want them buying from me anyway. Me telling him that he is wrong (didn't call him an idiot either) has nothing to do with how I conduct my business. He is wrong, if he belives he is right thats not my fault. He ignored all of the proof and sugestions that I have posted even tho a lot of other people are actulay getting use from it. Like I said, just another lemming following the others..... right off a cliff and rolling down the hill. people need to think for themselves. "3" is fine, don't belive anything else" is in no way a good reason for someone to use 3 inch.
I have 3 words for you. Word. Of. Mouth. You'll understand that when you actually get into the business world. Good luck all that, you're going to need it with that attitude.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:25 PM

You apear to be confused. You say that word of mouth is important. I agree. All of my current customers have nothing but great things to say of my products and service..... so what does any of this have to do with it? again. I'm not selling anything here. I am giving my honest sugestions to help people understand the errors of thier ways. They don't like it so I have to keep pushing. I have not once called anyone an idiot, a moron, a tool ect ect. I shoot down the incorrect information and add the correct information.... This is bad for my business somehow?