New Member Introduction Along with the new Camaro, there will be plenty of new members. Introduce yourself!

First camaro. Need rpo info info.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:00 PM

First camaro. Need rpo info info.

I remember when Camaros came out in '67 but have never owned any? I recently found a '97 sitting in an old garage (28,626 miles) that was falling in and the owner said I could have the car in it for tearing down the shed. She said her son bought it new and never made it home from the service and has never been moved since.Turns out it's a 1997 Camaro. My grandaughter fell in love so we are gonna bring it back to life for her. I'm trying to get some info on it before we get too deep. It has a basic 3.8 V6 and auto (which is good. Shes turning 16 and her first car). It is white with the orange stripes and she thinks it's "cool". Problem is I can't find any trim or Rpo code stickers anywhere! None on the glovebox or door jams. Are there any other places to look? Looking forward to our project. Thanks for any help!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Re: First camaro. Need rpo info info.

Welcome to CamaroZ28.com!!!

Sounds like you might have found an RPO Z4C 30th Anniversary option model, with the white paint and orange stripes.

Go here:

Comprehensive Chevrolet VIN Decoder

There is a small charge (varies, sometimes they charge, sometimes they don't - lately they seem to charge). You enter the vehicle VIN, and it gives you a very detailed list of the RPO's for the car, right down to which computer selected springs are on each corner of the suspension. Also includes the date of manufacture, and some data on how many other vehicles have the same options. Generally overstates "rarity" because of the large number of items it takes into consideration.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the response! I went there and got the build sheet and I'm even more confused. Doesn't list the option you referred to so I guess the hunt continues! I actually like trying to find this stuff out. Guess I dig this site a little deeper. It does list it as a 1SZ which I understand to be a strip down model but it has power windows, etc. Nothing I can find says it should have the factory stripes though. This is gonna be interesting. Thanks again!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Administrator

May be a white car that had the orange stripes added later, or it's a repaint. The paint color should be part of the report - was it white? My error on the Z4C.... that was only available on the V8 models (Z28 and SS). I forgot you said it was the V6..... sorry for the confusion.

Most of the "1" RPO codes like 1SZ are related to option packages, sold at a discount compared to the cost of buying each option individually.

This site has the 1997 Camaro sales brochure available. I don't see 1SZ mentioned, but it does indicate the options included in the "preferred equipment groups".

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/brochure...age=17&scan=17

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-02-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Fred beat me to the Z4C option belonging to Z28 and SS but not V6 models.

Welcome to the site, Bernie. Sounds like you have a project but should be a good one. The 3.8 liter V6's are very good. The orange stripes may have been an option or added later at the dealer or after purchase. Before purchasing mine I looked at a white 97 Z28 that had black stripes. It would've looked good had the car not been thrashed by previous owners.

Don't be a stranger, keep us updated on the progress.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:02 PM

Hey guys! Just got the 15 year old oil and everything else changed. Fixed a few "rodent" malfunctions and she fired right up! Eased her down the road a bit and all seemed well. Had to play a little coming back and was impressed with the performance of the little V6. It actually could benefit with a posi, even with the V6 I think. have to get her cleaned up bodywise now and have her road ready for my granddaughter by Christmas! Thanks!
Old 12-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Great news.

Good luck with it!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:03 AM

hey injuneer on that paintref site my 96 does not have a sales brocure and welcome to the board