V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

98 3.8 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 07:01 PM

98 3.8 question

Hi guys, im new to this board, i usually post on LS-1 but due to the recent rebuilding ive been lost on who to ask. I currently have a 99 LS-1 Trans Am but in october i will be comuting back and forth to tech school. Just by chance i stumbled upon a Camaro RS with a 3.8. Im a little leary of it, he wants 4 grand, the car has t-top, power windows/locks/ect., 128000 miles. Seem like a good deal to you guys? at any rate im a performance junky... how well do these things perform, i know there no replacement for LS-1 power but are they still powerful enough to have some fun with? I have no plans to sell my trans am but im thinking that this may be a good investment for school. Just so i can get an idea, what dose a stock 3.8 run in the quarter?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:17 PM

Re: 98 3.8 question

Stock anwhere from a mid 15 to a mid 16.

With just a whisper lid, K&N, crappy flowmaster that was on it already, and a mod that I designed for the 3.8L I had a project firebird (01 5speed) running 14.8@95. Thats with stock 3.23 gears, non limited slip, no suspension, street tires ect ect. We were working on getting it into the 13's but the car was sold before we had a chance.

If you do them right they act a lot like a 98 and under GT mustang. Just be smart.
2 things to remember:
Don't descreen the MAF
Don't use 3 inch exhaust.

Last edited by HBHRacing; 08-09-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:43 PM

There is nothing wrong with running a 3" exhaust if you have supporting mods.

- Justin
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 PM

I drove my brothers (formerly mine) 98 V6 Camaro yesterday for the first time in a while and it wasn't quite as fast as I remembered. I wouldn't call it a fun amount of power. I am not sure if the 98+ RSs received 3.42s (over 3.08s if it's an auto) but if they did, that would make it a little bit quicker. Reliable motor but look at the dyno numbers around 165rwhp on the 3.8 to around 300rwhp on the LS1. Roughly 55% of the power.

Personally, I'd get it because it has t-tops.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:52 PM

Sounds exactly like my car, I would personally out of the experience and maintence of my car, atleast try to talk him to $3,500 because you're getting ready step into the field of repairs... Not that the motor is unreliable but there's so much stuff I had to replace in mine it wasn't even funny... If it's an A4 coming from that year, prepare for a transmission rebiuld, the P1870 code is a PITA... costed me $1,200 and that's just ONE of the many things I had to deal with on a high milage car...

3.8's are nice and all but honestly out of my experience, if you're looking for a TRUE COMMUTER CAR, you shouldn't be looking at these car's with high milage unless they can pretty much list a good maintance record. $4k could be a good downpayment into something a weebit more reliable... Thats just my oppinion and it's not here or meant to offend anyone... There's just too much out there that's in good shape now these days...

Originally Posted by 99blackSS
I drove my brothers (formerly mine) 98 V6 Camaro yesterday for the first time in a while and it wasn't quite as fast as I remembered. I wouldn't call it a fun amount of power. I am not sure if the 98+ RSs received 3.42s (over 3.08s if it's an auto) but if they did, that would make it a little bit quicker. Reliable motor but look at the dyno numbers around 165rwhp on the 3.8 to around 300rwhp on the LS1. Roughly 55% of the power.

Personally, I'd get it because it has t-tops.
RS's didn't recieve 3.42's, the package code Y87 recieved 3.42's and dual outlets giving them a tad more pep than a regular V6... However, Y87 package tended to appear more on RS's than the average Camaro...

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-04-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
There is nothing wrong with running a 3" exhaust if you have supporting mods.

- Justin

Unless your suporting mods have you over 300 HP.... then yes there is.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
Unless your suporting mods have you over 300 HP.... then yes there is.
Not...really... I heard one with a HiFlow Cat. Full 3" Catback with a Resonator and it had almost absolutely no rasp!... He said he gained 20 HP from the dyno...

It didn't sound like a V8, but it wasn't your silent six either... I liked it...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Don't use 3 inch exhaust.

how come?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 AM

Just be smart.
Don't descreen the MAF
That's some good advice right there!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
because you're getting ready step into the field of repairs...
That ain't no joke! Seems like I'm always "playing" with my 3.4. It's a '95 with 163,000 on it, and I'm still racking up miles. Seems like I'm always hearing new noises or feeling weird thumps...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:26 PM

The reason behind the exhaust is a long drawn out one which I do not care to get into. For every one person that actualy understand what I say and belives it 20 more come back with ("well XXXX put 3 inch on and he gained from it on a dyno"). One day people will understand that peak HP doesn't mean anything. They will however understand that exhaust velocity is effected by pipe diamiter as well as restictions. When people do this it will be a happy place. Untill then however I will only say this. The answer is out there, think for yourself and don't just follow the heard and you will find it.

But consider this. If 3 inch worked best for V6's then why don't all V8's run 4 inch cat back? And why does magnaflow (who knows a lot more about exhaust then ANYONE on these msg boreds) design and sell a 2.5 inch V6 system? Did they do it because they thought it would slow you down? No.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:51 PM

I'm no designer of exhaust systems and I don't have a degree in fluid dynamics and exhaust flow...

but people seem to show nothing but gains with 3 in catbacks on v6s...

(btw how was the project car you had, have a 5-speed and 3.08s, did you guys swap them in?)
Old 08-07-2005, 11:54 PM

as to the original poster...

I think its a good car... no speed demon, but I suggest get a 5-speed, any car that is rwd and has enough power to break the rear wheels loose can be fun to drive and race a little.

there are some problems with a rear main seal leaking on the 3.8L but I say its a 1 in 15 thing wiht higher mileage 3.8Ls from what I read, maybe not even that bad.

As for everything else... just like any other 4th gen f-body.

If you could, I would focus on getting a 99+ with tubular manfolds. Makes plug changes easier.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 AM

again. Gains don't matter. take a car that gained 10 peak, and a car that gained 5 peak and run them. The car with less power can beat the other. Why? Because peak HP means nothing at all. it's not what you have, it's where you have it. Large exhaust systems do NOT come in untill much higher in the RPM band. This is why cutouts placed near the motor slow people down. unless your shifting at 6500 + RPM in ech gear you are going to do MUCH better with a correctly matched ehaust diameter.

I think it's best sumed up like this

"I'm no designer of exhaust systems and I don't have a degree in fluid dynamics and exhaust flow". but if you did, you would understand exactly what I am talking about and change your mind.

I have worked VERY closely with some very smart people. I have learned A LOT about exhaust and have put it to good use trying to help others. one day when I have my shop set up and hopefully my own dyno I am going to prove this argument once and for all. And I am 100% sure that in the end I will be able to show that unless your pushing at least 275 to the wheels, your going to be doing better with a good flowing 2.5 inch cat back.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:33 AM

again. Gains don't matter. take a car that gained 10 peak, and a car that gained 5 peak and run them. The car with less power can beat the other. Why? Because peak HP means nothing at all. it's not what you have, it's where you have it. Large exhaust systems do NOT come in untill much higher in the RPM band. This is why cutouts placed near the motor slow people down. unless your shifting at 6500 + RPM in ech gear you are going to do MUCH better with a correctly matched ehaust diameter.

I think it's best sumed up like this

"I'm no designer of exhaust systems and I don't have a degree in fluid dynamics and exhaust flow". but if you did, you would understand exactly what I am talking about and change your mind.

I have worked VERY closely with some very smart people. I have learned A LOT about exhaust and have put it to good use trying to help others. one day when I have my shop set up and hopefully my own dyno I am going to prove this argument once and for all. And I am 100% sure that in the end I will be able to show that unless your pushing at least 275 to the wheels, your going to be doing better with a good flowing 2.5 inch cat back.

I understand that big flow isn't always the best thing on a motor....

but your are missing the point, I can give a rats *** on dyno numbers for v6s and what gains they have.

I am going form REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE at the track. I am willing to say EVERYONE that upgraded from 2.5 in. to 3 in... runs better times.

peak power, less power, whatever power.... in the end alot of us are worried about what gets us to the end fo the 1/4 mile faster. And 3 in... seems to do that for v6s.

I do agree, peak numbers aren't most important. But I will argue that 3 in exhaust helps 3.8Ls...

and even to a lesser extent, 2.75 catback really helped out my 3.4L alot too...

Quick Reply: 98 3.8 question