V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

98 3.8 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:47 AM

Re: 98 3.8 question

take a car. Buy a 3" magnaflow V8 cat back and a 2.5 V6 magnaflow cat back. Install and test them both in the same day and see what you come up with. "real world" means nothing. You can't argue scientific fact with racing conditions that are out fo your control. You are missing the point. I never said that you can't gain from 3 inch. but the gain you see with not be the max that you can get if you run a correctly tuned exhaust system.

again. If bigger was so much better why don't all V8's have 4 inch cat backs on?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:39 AM

Lightbulb Re: 98 3.8 question

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
take a car. Buy a 3" magnaflow V8 cat back and a 2.5 V6 magnaflow cat back. Install and test them both in the same day and see what you come up with. "real world" means nothing. You can't argue scientific fact with racing conditions that are out fo your control. You are missing the point. I never said that you can't gain from 3 inch. but the gain you see with not be the max that you can get if you run a correctly tuned exhaust system.

again. If bigger was so much better why don't all V8's have 4 inch cat backs on?

Real world means nothing?

You can do whatever scientific calculations you want in a scientific enviroment, and invent wonderful things that work great like the opti-spark(works great in a lab, in real life, unreliable)

I'll stick to what gives me results.

I already said bigger isn't always better... BUT 3" on a v6 is what is producing numbers out of v6s. You cannot argue those facts, screw dyno numbers peak numbers, whatever I am talking about track times.

here is a thought, how come my car ran consistant 14.7s with open pipe after the CAt, and open intake. While your car with intake and 2.5 in exhaust ran a "best" of a 14.8.

and before you pull the "because you pulled the drivebelt off crap"

I ran 14.4-14.5s with the drivebelt off...

Last edited by MustangEater82; 08-08-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:00 AM

I'm not going to argue with you. your getting so far beyond the point that I can't even see it any more. Now your just getting nowhere.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:02 PM

ok then we will just agree that 3" exhaust works on 3.8L v6s...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Another exhaust thread gone horribaly wrong... and it wasn't even intended for exhaust...

I'm going 2.75" or 3" if I get heads and cam... staying 2.5" you might aswell just stay stock...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:43 PM

ignorance is a powerful and harmfull thing. Again, just because you claim that it works doesn't make it so. If everyone said that castration would make you faster because it did them would you take up the knife? I sure hope not. Don't do the same on exhaust flow.

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

Like I said, the answers are out there. You just have to be your own mind and deside to actualy listen to them.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
ignorance is a powerful and harmfull thing. Again, just because you claim that it works doesn't make it so. If everyone said that castration would make you faster because it did them would you take up the knife? I sure hope not. Don't do the same on exhaust flow.

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

Like I said, the answers are out there. You just have to be your own mind and deside to actualy listen to them.

Your missing the point, its not my claim... I don't have a 3 in catback...

BUT everyone who has put 3 in exhaust on there v6s only showed better times.

Who am I going to believe?

A joe schmo that could give a rats *** what I have on my car... but gives suggestions on whats been working for him. And there are dozens of those joe schmos...

Or some company that designed a ****ty exhaust system, realized its selling like crap, so they decided to right a FAQ, so they could lose less money on the crappy exhaust system the built.

We are talking v6s, not v8s, you forget, almost every aftermarket performance part company does not spend one cent on R&R for v6s.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:40 PM

The fact that you take up for the 3 inch only furthers my point that you will sway what ever way the wind blows. Your a sheep following the heard.

Like I said. You WILL gain over STOCK with a 3 inch. You will however gain MORE with the correctly tuned exhaust system.

Your right. This is a V6 and not a V8. That’s the smartest thing that you have said to date. So why run a V8 exhaust on a V6? Contradictions are not your friend.

Magnaflow engineers know more then you, I and everyone else on this forum put together. Read the FAQ, it supports my exact statements. Read any good quality Exhaust thread such as http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...exhaust+theory and see how much you follow.

Your also wrong that aftermarket companies do not to and R&D (BTW it's not R&R). A lot of companies do, magnaflow does for one. The company that I started which will carry a lot of V6 parts does a LOT of R&D. I have been working on one part for over 2 years to get it right. I'm also working on a better TB for the unlucky ones with the fly by wire along with systems to bolt on a good (unlike the crappy RK sport) super charger. I have been doing V6 projects for over 2 years now. My companies name will be well known to the V6 people within the next 5 years. I have no reason to try and slow people down with false information. My goal is to give people the VERY best setup possible. When that set up calls for a 3 inch exhaust it will have it. until then you and everyone like you are only shooting yourselves in the foot.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 PM

Thats nice and all...

still doesn't stop the fact that the v6s with 2.5 catbacks are slower then the v6s with 3 in catbacks...

So are you trying to say the exhaust on a y87 v6 is the top of the line, no improvements can be made?

PS its not a v8 exhaust, its a 3 in... exhaust if I had a supra and ran 3 in exhaust wouldn't be calling it 3 in exhaust would I?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:05 PM

Like you stated... its great your company is out working to make great things for v6s...

but noticed you listed every product for the v6 being a "half assed failed" product. That why I trust what works in the field and isn't just sold.

Only companies that put serious effort in to our v6s, are ones that had roots with v6s... Like HPtuners(keith for awhile was fastest v6), abbot racing, popular v6er's dad's speed shop...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 PM

It is a V8 exhaust. Borla, magnaflow, Loudmouth ect ect ect are all designed to fit either LT1's or LS1's. Magnaflow has a V6 specific cat back but it's ignored.

again, you totaly miss the whole point. Stock exhaust sucks. Your confusing stock systems and pipe diameter. Power comes from freeing restrictions while MAINTAINING velocity. stock is restrictive thats why you replace it with free flowing parts. 3 inch is too big and kills the velocity and thermal ability. Thats why what you want is a free flowing system that is tuned to your motor. but again, you simply choose to ignor what is being said and only hear what you like. You keep adding your own thoughts in there are complete garbage. your thinking will only keep you from running to the very best of your ability. same EXACT theory goes into why people who throw a massivly large throttle body on a mostly stock car show a slight peak gain but actualy kill low end and track times. Same idea.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:18 PM

Guess your right...

everything I am doing is wrong and haven't experienced any results worth a damn
Old 08-08-2005, 02:26 PM

Playing the Drama queen will not make me feel sorry for you. You want to ignor the simple facts that I am giving you and try to confuse others with false claims and arguments that have nothing to do with the points being made. I will not be so easily diverted as others might.

The point your missing is very very simple

any quality cat back 2.5"-3" will show a gain over stock. The point is tuning your exhaust system correctly to your own car for the optimal gains. This is done by many many many factors. One of which is pipe diameter. Get rid of every bit of restriction that you can. Cats, sharp bends, mufflers ect. Then tune the diameter and length to best suit your power and RPM band. Too low and you peak early and don't make power. too high and you never reach enough RPM to make use of it. Thats when you get best power that you cna pull from your motor.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 PM

Not trying to make you feel sorry...

just stating the people who have gone up to 3 in exhaust are the ones showing the best gains on average intake/exhaust v6s...

not sure what people are doing in labs, and don't care... most people don't they want results.

doubt there is one v6er out there interested in the optimum flowing exhaust that gives them a 4 hp gain over a standard 3 in catback.

when the 3in catback is cheaper, and more availbible.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:51 PM

your still playing the HP card.... It's not a HP game. once you start to realize this then it's finaly going to sink on. HP means NOTHING. you can have 500 HP and still get beat my a 450 HP car of the same motor and mods. I say once more. It's not how much you have, it's where you have it. If you understood that then you would be understanding most of what I am telling you already.

Quick Reply: 98 3.8 question