South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

removed the opti, could it be in the wrong place now??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 06:30 PM

removed the opti, could it be in the wrong place now??

I just replaced all the seals in the front of the engine and intake while removing the rest of the EGR and AIR junk, but when I put the Opti back in I noticed 3 of what appeared to be keyways in it. I lined up the one that looked like it was the most likely candidate. The car fired up but seems to be way advanced. You know how when it turns over it has that sound like it is kicking every turn or so. And then on the highway it is pinging under light acceleration. I can account for the highway ping by blaming it on crummy ****go gas but it still seems over advanced.

By the way it runs like a scalded dog now. It was leaking vacuum and gas before through the intake and injector seals.

Could the opti be in the wrong place? I did not have to force anyting, it fell right into place.

TIA
Old 02-03-2003, 06:35 PM

Umm... Did you make sure to put the pin back in the same slot!? I know when Mike did mine , he said that you COULD put the pin back in wrong...
Old 02-03-2003, 06:39 PM

I thought it was idiot proof so I did not look when I removed it so I am not sure. I put it in the slot that it looked like it came out of. there were 3 slots to choose from but it did not seem to fit in the other 2. BUT I would think that if the distributor was 1/3 off that it would not even run?

I hope it is not in the wrong place. That would suck

THanks
Old 02-03-2003, 06:51 PM

You just have to make sure it went in to the right way... You know that all the indentations in the pin and in the hole lined up correctly... There is one part on the pin that is either raised a little more than the rest, or set further in I don't remember... But the part in the hole matches up to it... You have to make sure that it went in the correctly...
Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 PM

Its very easy to put in wrong. The first time i did an opti i spent an hour trying to get it lined up properly. The second time i got lucky and it fell right in. I'd check it out.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:52 PM

it fell right in. and it runs great. Just seems a little too far advanced. I couldnt beleive it would run that far off, there are only 3 places for it to seat.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Banned

its entirly possible to put the opti on wrong. when i did mine we had it shoved in pretty well, thinking it was in. if it wern't for my **** retentivness to do it 5 times we would have put it on wrong. it wasn't till after we pulled it off t hat we realized that we had it on wrong.

although, if it was on wrong, the timing would be so off that you'd notice it a bit more... such as bearly running.

make sure you put all the plug wires back on securly. i know on my MSD 8.5's the opti boots were 2 clicks, double check that, and make sure the wires arn't getting cut by the pullies.

but the opti is far from idiot proof...
Old 02-04-2003, 08:47 AM

I thought the opti dowel pin only had one keyway in it??? Last time I messed with an opti it did anyway. If your car is running good I wouldn't think it would be the opti, because if you did manage to get the pin in wrong I would think it either wouldn't run at all or barely would. I don't know, I would more likely blame something like that on bad gas. If it doesn't go away by your next tank then it might need further investigation.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:59 AM

John could it be the computer trying to compensate for the EGR and AIR being removed? Just a guess...
Old 02-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Banned

there is only one correct way for the opti to go on (duh), but its very easy to push it on wrong and think that its gone in all the way. its quite easy to force it on using the 3 screws even, which the absolute wrong way to do it. when i did it, we thought we had it on, even the 3 screws lined up correctly but it still seemed sort of loose, so i ripped it off again and after 15 more minuites of fooling around it suddenly slipped on perfectly flat, then it was on correctly.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:13 PM

Yeah it went in perfectly flat without any forcing. I was also thinking it would not run if it were off by that much too. I put in some octane boost and it seems to have stopped pinging but it still turns over funny.

THe computer is custom programmed with the EGR and AIR removed and they have not been hooked up for about 4 months now, so I dont think it is that. I will try another tank of gas and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone
John
Old 02-05-2003, 07:51 PM

The car wouldnt run if the key was in the wrong spot. Timing would be WAY off from where it should be...
Old 02-05-2003, 10:24 PM

Took it to OSW tonight and ran a new best of 13.7@103 so I dont think there is anything wrong. Other than the fact that I spin the tires all the way through 1 and part way through 2. I think maybe the starter is misaligned too making it turn over funny. Im gonna check that tomorrow.

THanks for all the great input.

John
Old 02-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mnypitTA
Took it to OSW tonight and ran a new best of 13.7@103 so I dont think there is anything wrong. Other than the fact that I spin the tires all the way through 1 and part way through 2. I think maybe the starter is misaligned too making it turn over funny. Im gonna check that tomorrow.

THanks for all the great input.

John
your opti is on just fine