LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Street cam with torque(full precise details)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Well at least someone is arguing the point not name calling like a 14year old who just learned his first swear words
Brent thanks for the interjection of civility to this. I'm trying to behave but once a little kid throws a hissy fit sometimes the only solution is to get on their level.
You called Brent in here because the pressure to provide proof to my questions is getting to be too much? You want to really thank Brent - send him sponsorship money, or at least pay your lousy $20 to support the site. I wasn't name calling per se (the big bert racing was a joke, but it obviously struck a chord with you, so I'll stop) - just asking a seemingly simple question. Kids throwing hissy fits? Who's got their dad in here with the kids quoting silly Mark Twain tidbits in a patronly effort to defend their kid?? Good grief - you should be embarrassed. As far as stooping to a lower level, that sounds incredulous coming from a guy who posted a picture of a feminine hygene product in response to the last thread debacle. You're a class act, and everyone sees it

You remind me of a quote I saw on a coffee mug in a truck stop in upstate NY once: "If you can't bedazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh!t"

I've been doing this for years!
...so proof should be so easy! Post it up. Now I'm going to speedtalk.com to copy a bunch of cam related stuff to post so I can sound like SStroker when I want to debate the kids on cam stuff I really don't know anything about. The real difference is that I don't pretend to.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:07 PM

I'll be dawg...
Old 07-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
You called Brent in here because the pressure to provide proof to my questions is getting to be too much? You want to really thank Brent - send him sponsorship money, or at least pay your lousy $20 to support the site. I wasn't name calling per se (the big bert racing was a joke, but it obviously struck a chord with you, so I'll stop) - just asking a seemingly simple question. Kids throwing hissy fits? Who's got their dad in here with the kids quoting silly Mark Twain tidbits in a patronly effort to defend their kid?? Good grief - you should be embarrassed. As far as stooping to a lower level, that sounds incredulous coming from a guy who posted a picture of a feminine hygene product in response to the last thread debacle. You're a class act, and everyone sees it

You remind me of a quote I saw on a coffee mug in a truck stop in upstate NY once: "If you can't bedazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh!t"

...so proof should be so easy! Post it up. Now I'm going to speedtalk.com to copy a bunch of cam related stuff to post so I can sound like SStroker when I want to debate the kids on cam stuff I really don't know anything about. The real difference is that I don't pretend to.
Amazing!

One question: if you really don't know anything about cam stuff, how do you know if anyone is pretending to know it or not?

Last edited by OldSStroker; 07-19-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: to soften the edges
Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Ss Mptr

Why are you always bashing Bret? Are you jealous or something. What do you have, or have done to be so arrogant and one sided against Bret. You are always whining about Bret doing this or that. If you don't want his advice or help, fine. A lot of people have worked with Bret and he has been able to satisfy a bunch of people's needs. He does not need YOU to agree with him to be a successful cam and engine builder!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 PM

I know Bret has sold hundreds of cams, maybe thousands and I've never heard a complaint, only tons of praise so he must be doing something right. Never heard a complaint about any LE packages either. Where's all the other cam/engine builders...oh they are too busy to spend any time on the boards with the peeons who buy their products...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 PM

Not everyone knows when they are having good or bad results.
I have seen guys lose low mile shortblocks and immediately recommend the guy who screwed it up the first time to someone else before their problem is even resolved. EGO is the explaination people are often not big enough to admit a mistake, not even to themselves.

Moral of the story is that you need to look beyond what people say to get to meaningful information. For instance my communication skills SUCK, if you can get past that though there is usually something useful in there.

On the original topic of the thread I think you need to look at results, one guy has repeatedly mentioned the little Lingenfelter grind, while not popular every car I know of that has run it has had great results.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 07-17-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Not everyone knows when they are having good or bad results.
I have seen guys lose low mile shortblocks and immediately recommend the guy who screwed it up the first time to someone else before their problem is even resolved. EGO is the explaination people are often not big enough to admit a mistake, not even to themselves.

Moral of the story is that you need to look beyond what people say to get to meaningful information. For instance my communication skills SUCK, if you can get past that though there is usually something useful in there.

On the original topic of the thread I think you need to look at results, one guy has repeatedly mentioned the little Lingenfelter grind, while not popular every car I know of that has run it has had great results.

I find it difficult to take anyone seriously if their product gives sub par results. Especially those who always give a "because I said so..." or "They break just because I have no idea why..." retarded logic.

Where's all the other cam/engine builders...oh they are too busy to spend any time on the boards with the peeons who buy their products...
That line of thinking is nothing short of ridiculous. Never EVER in the years this board has been in operation has any credible vendor won support or established themselves any further in their profession by getting behind a keyboard and e-bickering. Lou Gigliotti tried it and was pretty much ruled a big tool by LT1 standards. Joe Overton tried it and was not successful and now Bret is following down the same doomed path.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
The OP stated that he wants a cam that lopes like a CC306, but peaks earlier. You can make that cam peak earlier by either:

1. Shortening the duration
2. Tightening the LSA

Both of which will decrease the original overlap of the CC306, and in turn, change the sound characteristics. Hence, why you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Why not do both? ;-) You wonder why I mention the EVO and IVC valve events..... there ya go?
Well, because of the consequences. What happens when we design a camshaft that maintains the same number of degrees of overlap as a larger camshaft for the sound, but peaks earlier in the RPM range? Can you think of any positives? I can think of several negatives:

-"peaky" torque curve (useable power band is shortened)
-decreased engine vacuum
-higher probablility for intake charge reversion from a later IVC combined with increased cylinder pressure from an early EVC
-later IVC will cancel out any lower RPM torque gains you would have otherwise seen from shortening the duration
-later IVC's and earlier EVO's can hinder desired lift specs due to decreased piston to valve clearance
-higher static compression ratio is needed to achieve the same DCR of the larger cam. This can be especially tricky if you're already close on PTV clearance.

All of this for "lope." Sometimes, what we can do and what we should do don't always line up. The only message I was trying to convey in my first post here is that it's generally not a good idea to choose a camshaft based on sound characteristics. And as reluctant as he might be to openly admit it, I think your Dad agrees with me:

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
Most of always faster's original goals can probably met with some performance compromises for the desired nasty lopey idle. Personally I would have a difficult time selling someone such a cam if it left some driveability (low-mid torque) on the table, but I'm not the one in the cam business.
I hope we're all still friends here.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR

I find it difficult to take anyone seriously if their product gives sub par results. Especially those who always give a "because I said so..." or "They break just because I have no idea why..." retarded logic.

That line of thinking is nothing short of ridiculous. Never EVER in the years this board has been in operation has any credible vendor won support or established themselves any further in their profession by getting behind a keyboard and e-bickering. Lou Gigliotti tried it and was pretty much ruled a big tool by LT1 standards. Joe Overton tried it and was not successful and now Bret is following down the same doomed path.
Not exactly the same thing, but it got me thinking about what happend with Mr. Horsepower & whoever else was argueing w/ him. It was senseless, now no more Mr. Horsepower! And I haven't seen Mindgame in a while either...we're losing a lot of great minds on this board, it's sad to think about.
-b

ps: Please don't leave Bret, & Ernie

Last edited by bdc95ta; 07-18-2007 at 12:12 AM. Reason: needed to add something
Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
And as reluctant as he might be to openly admit it, I think your Dad agrees with me:

I hope we're all still friends here.
You speak for yourself, not for me. Reluctance to speak my mind is not one of my attributes.

There are a few folks on this forum who I'd like to consider friends, and some I wouldn't want even as casual aquaintenances. That's much like the rest of society outside of this forum. I'm no politician so I don't have to pretend to like everyone. Life is too short for that.

Everyone has priorities. If lope is a primary goal for someone buying a cam, and he can accept the compromises needed to meet his other (perhaps conflicting) requirements, there is a cam spec that may satisfy that client.

An engine/cam designer can choose to work with the client or chose not to bother. In this case it might be easier to beg off. However, if the client is informed of the compromises and makes an informed choice to proceed, he's getting what he wants. You may not agree with his choice, but it's his car. A reputable cam designer will assure the client makes an informed decision.

Almost everyone in business sooner or later figures out that there are potential clients you don't need nor want because they are real PITAs. This is sometimes referred to as the 1% or 3% or 5% Rule. The % depends on the seller's tolerance for obnoxious/stupid/controlling/closeminded individuals. I have seen that % rise to double digits at times.

If you are an "expert" in some field, be it medicine, software, engine design, manufacturing, making war, or even architecture, it is aggravating to hear someone pronounce blatantly incorrect stuff about that which you know inside out. In the few subjects I know something about I hear it regularly. The most vocal spreaders if untruths are often the least likely to listen to the "truth". They personify the Mark Twain quote noted a page or so ago.

Making correct information available rarely if ever changes the "poorly-informed" mind, but it can sometimes prevent other folks from falling into the "p-i's" hole and perpetuating untruths. Sadly, the "P-I" rarely knows he's passing on bad information.

Part of this post may actually be back on topic. Imagine that!

Last edited by OldSStroker; 07-19-2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: remove obfuscation
Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
If you are an "expert" in some field, be it medicine, software, engine design, manufacturing, making war, or even specing out buildings, it is aggravating to hear someone pronounce blatantly incorrect stuff about that which you know inside out. In the few subjects I know something about I hear it regularly. The most vocal spreaders if untruths are often the least likely to listen to the "truth". They personify the Mark Twain quote noted a page or so ago.

Making correct information available rarely if ever changes the "liar's" mind, but it can sometimes prevent other folks from falling into the "liar's" hole and perpetuating untruths. Sadly, the "liar" rarely knows he's full of bovine scat.
Good golly you are being too specific!
Why not direct your thoughts to the individual(s) you are referring to instead of showing off the dance moves.
it is aggravating to hear someone pronounce blatantly incorrect stuff about that which you know inside out.
You AIN'T lyin'!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bdc95ta
Not exactly the same thing, but it got me thinking about what happend with Mr. Horsepower & whoever else was argueing w/ him. It was senseless, now no more Mr. Horsepower! And I haven't seen Mindgame in a while either...we're losing a lot of great minds on this board, it's sad to think about.
-b

ps: Please don't leave Bret, & Ernie
Definately. Please don't let a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

Once you weed out the garbage, the debate between thesoundandthefury and you is interesting.

Last edited by 95firehawk; 07-18-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
I wasn't name calling per se (the big bert racing was a joke, but it obviously struck a chord with you, so I'll stop) - just asking a seemingly simple question.
No... not at all. The only person mentioning the "Bert" thing was ME. I noticed that for quite a while each time there is an argument I see "Bert" come up so it struck a chord with ME. Bret may actually think it is funny, I don't know... I didn't so that's why I asked you to STOP
Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by always faster
The cam:
I would like to avoid custom cam but could change my mind
I want a street cam with a lot of torque
I dont want to shift higher than 6000/6200 rpm
I want it to lope like hell(like a cc306)
I'm not sure if you are going to carefully read all of this thread and then
actually listen to the pieces of information important to your decision. If
you do you will realize that you can not have your cake and eat it too.

The first three criteria can be met, but the fourth can not. So, decide
what is more important, street cam w/ torque or lope. If you want the
street cam w/torque you have many, many examples to follow. These are
real folks with cars very similar to yours with different smaller cams installed
that perform extremely well. With most of these cars the power is in the
details and not just in the cam. It's 1 HP here, 5 HP there, until you add it
all up and you have cars with 320-360 rwhp / rwtq.

So if that lope is so important that you will are willing to sacrifice low end
performance and drivability, and end up with a car this is probably in the
same peak rwtq/rwhp range, with not nearly as much under the curve, then
put in that CC 306.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Good golly you are being too specific!
Why not direct your thoughts to the individual(s) you are referring to instead of showing off the dance moves.

You AIN'T lyin'!

Isn't it intreresting how people interpret posts?

The Tango is my favorite dance, BTW.

Quick Reply: Street cam with torque(full precise details)