LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Red Intake Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 03:50 PM

You gotta helluva deal...
Old 04-07-2004, 09:05 PM

Good find!! Its starting to sound more and more like an LT4 conversion to me. Any way you could post a sound clip of the car? We could tell you if its cammed or not.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by 93formula
WOW that looks very nice, how many coats? did you use clear? howd you mask off the bolt holes, ribs, etc.?
Hey 93,

The intake was powder coated to begin with, I block sanded the ribs w/ 60/100/220/400/1200 sand paper, then buffed them with a wheel, afterwards I scuffed the powder coat w/ 220 grit paper and hosed the intake down w/ brake cleaner.

let it dry, put masking tape over the ribs, took a chrome plated phillips head screwdriver and ran the rounded part against the sharp edge of the rib to cut it perfectly. on the bolts holes and injector holes I pushed a piece of masking tape down into it w/ my finger, then did the same trick w/ a screwdriver, if it didn't cut I used a x-acto knife. I did about 3 coats with duplicolor hugger orange, 1608?, i think that's what it is, then when it dried i went over it w/ a coat of eagle 1 wet polish to buff it out to a shine, worked pretty good.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by JasonL
That's funny, unless there is some sort of difference between the factory heads and over-the-counter heads.

Here are the part #'s

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

Here is where the LT4 stamp is, at least on mine:

Look at the numbers on my head,
do they match yours?

I sold my LT4 setup months ago so I can't go look at them and this is the only pic of them I have with numbers.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:34 PM

OK.. took the valve cover off again today and found this number 12550631 nut sure if that helps or not but it was stamped right on there. I took the car by the chevy dealership and asked one of the service guys what he thought and his response was " this is definatly not a normal 1995 z28, he looked under the hood for maybe 3 seconds " because he was busy" and said " thats an lt4" anyone know what that number i found is?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:40 PM

He might have said that just cuz he saw the red intake and the GrandSport throttle body cover...but either way you got a hell of a deal on the car. congrats
Old 04-07-2004, 11:43 PM

You have a painted LT1 intake and LT1 heads... sorry its no LT4 but it may very well have a lot more power than an LT4 conversion anyway.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:47 PM

I know this is going to be hard to answer but.... How much do you guys think its worth? I mean.. if it turns out to be the LT4 intake/heads and with the other parts i mentioned K&N cai, edlebrock headers, those RR's in the other guys pic " lol" and again its a 1995 white z-28, black leather, m6, t-tops, power locks, windows, drivers seat, 79k miles as of today if you need any other details just ask... btw, great paint, no body damage
Old 04-07-2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Allwaysbroke Z
I know this is going to be hard to answer but.... How much do you guys think its worth? I mean.. if it turns out to be the LT4 intake/heads and with the other parts i mentioned K&N cai, edlebrock headers, those RR's in the other guys pic " lol" and again its a 1995 white z-28, black leather, m6, t-tops, power locks, windows, drivers seat, 79k miles as of today if you need any other details just ask... btw, great paint, no body damage
Are you talking how much money is it worth or how much power it has?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:53 PM

Hey Zepher,

My valve covers are on right now, sorry I just borrowed that image. Though my Black Book gives two casting numbers for LT4 heads:

10239902 early production

Looks like you had the latter... maybe mine is the former since my car was built Oct. 95.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:00 AM

Well, id like to know how much $ its worth, and also power. It looks like i dont have the LT4 from what turboz says, but i still have been putting a hurting on just about everyone around here with a fast car... ie: LS1's, and smoked a new cobra earlier today, got to the next light and the driver of the cobra wouldnt even look at me.. he just shook his head. took my brother for a ride and he is 22 and owns a 1997 i think eclipse gsx twin turbo and he said my car has more tq in 5th gear then his does in 1st and that my tach moves faster in 4th then his speedo in 2nd. thought that was interesting. A friend of my dad's was over their house today and he owns a 1998 corvette c5 i think.. its not a z06 anyways, he has done a few things to it and had it dynoed and he said his car put down 363hp and 352lb .. i let him drive my car and he said mine felt ALOT stronger then his. I need to get this car figured out and dyno'd ASAP.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:09 AM

Well like i said it doesnt have to have LT4 parts to be fast. Port some LT1 castings and get a mild cam and youd can make far more power than any LT4 setup. If you are confused why your part numbers dont really match the ones shown in that link for LT1 heads and intake is because there are 2 and possibly 3 different castings so its hard to say which year those part numbers are referring to.

To answer your questions though. Id say you got a hell of a deal on that car.. Im sure a lot of ppl would pay twice what you did for it. Its too bad you dont have a clue what you are looking at b/c it sounds like you may have a pretty hot car there. Try to find some sound clips and vids of cammed cars and see if they sound like yours. There was a short vid around here a couple days ago with a big cam so that should give you an idea of what one sounds like.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:43 AM

Ok.. just went out in the garage opened the door and pissed off the neighbors... But i think i got a soundclip. I saved it as a .wav file how do i post it??
Old 04-08-2004, 12:54 AM

E-mail it to me drdirt45@yahoo.com and I can host it for you.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:58 AM

Sent Dave, thanks

Quick Reply: Red Intake Manifold?