LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Massive leak! What can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 04:12 PM

Massive leak! What can it be?

Hey everyone, so i have a 93 z28 m6, i was driving the other day when i seen a huge cloud of smoke behind me and to the loving scent of burnt oil i immediately pulled over to the side. Sure enough huge puddle of oil under the car. Or what i thought? So i got it home and left it alone for a few days, (i had just finished installing all my bolt ons at once and it was a few day process.) so i check my oil and the dipstick is reading full. Confused i turn it on and sure enough it leaks a puddle. Now im worried its a head gasket. No smoke out the tailpipe, (open y pipe) the smoke comes from whatever is dripping on the pipe. I check oil cap and radiator for signs of mixing and no sign. While its on right above the oil filter its dripping like a mad man. I originally thought ir was my intake gasket but i have a camera on record around the back and couldnt see any oil leaking down just old oil sitting there from my lack of cleaning it. What i did notice is that my radiator that i just finished filling and bleeding bc of the EWP l. Is now close to empty. So is it cooant leaking out and running against oil on the outside of the engine to create that what looks like a oil leak or what? Anyone have this happen before? Putting in the longtubes i did break my oil pressure sensor but it didnt leak so i didnt replace it right away. Is it possible to now slip through there?
Old 11-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Re: Massive leak! What can it be?

I suggest getting a dye kit so you can pinpoint where your leak is located. You can get the dye for about $10, and a light/glasses for about $15 on Amazon. It could be the rear of the intake, oil pressure sender, rear main, or any other number of things.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z28M6ONCRACK
(i had just finished installing all my bolt ons at once and it was a few day process.)

While its on right above the oil filter its dripping like a mad man.

What i did notice is that my radiator that i just finished filling and bleeding bc of the EWP l. Is now close to empty. So is it cooant leaking out and running against oil on the outside of the engine to create that what looks like a oil leak or what? Putting in the longtubes i did break my oil pressure sensor but it didnt leak so i didnt replace it right away. Is it possible to now slip through there?
so you did a bunch of "bolt ons" and now have a "leak"....double, no triple check WTF you did install to see it that is causing leak

oil (assuming what you see is oil) leaking from above filter. By chance was one of the mods adding a oil pressure gauge where you used the port "above" the oil filter??

you installed a EWP and now your radiator is empty....you sure you don't have a coolant leak? when coolant hits exhaust it has a distinct "coolant" smell and typically spews white smoke

Are you sure you wired EWP correct so it spins the right way??

you broke your OP sensor installing headers....ah might want to check back on that for the leak

so basically as your story unfolded it could be several things. you are way closer to the car than we are...check your stuff
Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Administrator

93 factory oil pressure sensor is mounted above the oil filter. You broke it but it didn’t leak????

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-01-2018 at 07:33 PM.