LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Comp R's

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:15 AM

Re: Comp R's

It's a poor design pure and simple. Whatever the cause, valve float and bounce maybe? they should not be breaking that easy.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 PM

Why cant you guys just put regular snaprings or the ones regular lifters use in them? This would at least let the people stuck with them use them! I know you shouldnt have to but.......... I still dont understand the "to much preload will cause this" thing . I kinda think its crap personally!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:17 PM

After a few weeks I will take the manifold off just to see if there are any clips which are unaccounted for. It'll be worth the price of new manifold gaskets.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:41 PM

Well, here is the BS that I got from Comp last week. I called them, and explained that I had one lifter break a clip, and inquired about buying spare clips. They told me that its not possible, as the lifters are assembled off site, and dont have spare parts, which is BS, as another board member stated that he has a friend at Comp that does the assembly in house. Anyhow, what really got me was when he told me that he has a few shops that run their R lifter, and they use their own clip or snap ring to hold the lifter together! He also suggested taking the lifter to a local auto parts store to size it up for a snap ring, and use it on all of the lifters! I told him no thanks, Im running a set of Morel's. When it comes to any future purchases for valvetrain parts, Comp will not be on my list.

Nick
Old 09-27-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by MR.ED
Why cant you guys just put regular snaprings or the ones regular lifters use in them? This would at least let the people stuck with them use them! I know you shouldnt have to but.......... I still dont understand the "to much preload will cause this" thing . I kinda think its crap personally!
I asked this question earlier and Bret said it wasn't possible.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by NJLT1SS
Well, here is the BS that I got from Comp last week. I called them, and explained that I had one lifter break a clip, and inquired about buying spare clips. They told me that its not possible, as the lifters are assembled off site, and dont have spare parts, which is BS, as another board member stated that he has a friend at Comp that does the assembly in house.
Nick
If you want i have about 5-7 Comp R's that aren't damaged. I'll let you have them all for $20 shipped. Then you can either steal the clips or just use the whole assembly.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 PM

Z95m6, I will take them for $20 shipped. I will just pirate a clip off one of them to repair one of the original ones I have, then sell the set. I will PayPal you the money when I get home tonite, thanks.

Nick
Old 09-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by NJLT1SS
Z95m6, I will take them for $20 shipped. I will just pirate a clip off one of them to repair one of the original ones I have, then sell the set. I will PayPal you the money when I get home tonite, thanks.

Nick
I may not be able to get them shipped for until the weekend, so if you are in a hurry just be prepared. I'm up at college and lifters are at home. Its not worth the drive in the middle of the week for $20 shipped, but i can take care of you on the weekend.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 PM

anyone have any luck getting comp to replace an unbroken set with the crappy clips for either their oem replacements or a good set of comp r's?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:44 AM

i just ordered a set of comp R's from combination, i brought this up to dave and he said not to worry and that they see them run in hundreds of veihicles without failure, so im going on his word, and am running them.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 97SS0594
i just ordered a set of comp R's from combination, i brought this up to dave and he said not to worry and that they see them run in hundreds of veihicles without failure, so im going on his word, and am running them.
after talking to comp, they said all the failures were frompeople over lashing them...they said go to zero lash, and then 1/8th turn more and you will be fine
Old 10-11-2005, 07:30 PM

I got my comp r`s about 2 years ago when the new design first came out, actually I waited 2 months for them. I`ve had a mysterious random misfire for a little while now. Intake came off for the new cam swap today, and what was to be found, but 5 comp r`s missing their retainers altogether and another 11 in various stages of cracking. These were originally set w/ 1/16 past zero, then zero, the adusted a couple other times to zero. I don`t see how I had too much preload. Comp is usingthat as an excuse.

Its my understanding the retainers were heat treated too much and they became brittle. I`m not sure if comp has fixed this problem yet or not. It`s a miracle my motor is not trashed, the cam bearings look great, freaking amazing considering.

My opinion is stick w/ the stock GM ones unless your turning 7k+. You can get them from GM performance parts for around 185.00 if I remember correctly. these are the newer GM ones that came out in 96.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 AM

Just ordered my Morels today. Had about enough of the horror storys. Anyone want to buy a NIB set of Comp R's? Ill let them go cheap.

Steve
Old 10-13-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by blackz97
Just ordered my Morels today. Had about enough of the horror storys. Anyone want to buy a NIB set of Comp R's? Ill let them go cheap.

Steve
How much did you pay for your morels? Where did you get them from?

Brandon
Old 10-13-2005, 09:58 PM

$485 from thunderracing.com . Expensive yes, but from what i hear they are pretty bullit proof. After all the time and money spent on this motor, i really dont want to have reliability issues, so a couple hundred bux more is worth it to me.

Steve

Quick Reply: Comp R's