Whats "NEW" and whats "old" CompR lifters? what are the design differences

I would say mine are 3 years old
Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Steves396lt1

Re: Comp R's

Originally Posted by camarossguy2
Whats "NEW" and whats "old" CompR lifters? what are the design differences

I would say mine are 3 years old
There are pics in the first part of this thread. If your are 3 years old you are/should be fine. They changed to a crappy clip design that breaks easily/relativelyy if not adjusted correctly. Its CompCams BS answer to failures..
Unless you go over 6500 rpm, OEM GM lifters are all you need.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Steves396lt1
There are pics in the first part of this thread. If your are 3 years old you are/should be fine. They changed to a crappy clip design that breaks easily/relativelyy if not adjusted correctly. Its CompCams BS answer to failures..
Unless you go over 6500 rpm, OEM GM lifters are all you need.
for over 6500 rpm, go with MOREL Lifters.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:51 PM
West South Central Moderator

Question Re: Comp R's

Does anybody have a picture of the old style lifter to compare to?

I bought my 875-16s used a while back, but I don't remember when exactly

Are the new style and old style clips different colors or anything?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 PM

Yeah in the first page of the thread there are some.

Been talking to Bret about my problem with setting my valves, and I may very well have a trashed set of the Comp R's, I'll know in a couple days after I pull some stuff apart. I have maybe 20 street miles on this thing. Not even broken in yet (Well, my clutch ain't anyways).
Old 11-18-2005, 11:50 PM

there are pictures on the first page, but none of the Comp "R" lifters that are considered "good"
Old 11-25-2005, 11:48 AM

I think the older style were a gold colour and the new crappy ones are silver.

I have both sets. I replaced the gold ones just because I was doing a rebuild. The silver ones have been fine so far with 1000 kms on them and lashed right at zero lash.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:22 PM

I installed the new style comp R's not too long ago this past summer. No problems yet to report with a few thousand miles. They were adjusted pretty close to zero lash.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
I think the older style were a gold colour and the new crappy ones are silver.
Can anybody confirm this? The ones that I have are all gold.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by slverbullet
because, according to the tech at comp cams, these lifters are not designed to be used on a daily driver.
I wonder if the tech was hinting more at todays engines. Everything has a hydraulic lifter and they were designed to be "maint. free" getting away with the periodic valve adjustments required by the muscle car era.
I am not saying the hydraulic lifter was primarily designed to be maint. free but it certainly is a by product of its design. Lots of older guys I work with constantly bitch about when they were younger they had to screw around with points and setting valve lash.
I do agree with comp when they say they are not meant to be daily driven, but that definition is in a bit of a grey area."Daily driven" should be used loosely as my "daily driver" is a high compression(11.8:1 ,93 pump gas) 383 with longtubes, no cat, thru a magna flow,LE2 heads, big cam,, etc... and most people can hear me coming from blocks away and thats just cruising.
Since my rebuild, I have to pay constant attention to make sure it is in top shape. I have since broke stuff I never even thought of. Lots of stuff rattles loose. Every mod I do requires the damn exhaust to be "re adjusted" (damn suspension mods, torque arm, etc...) As much as I bitch about my car, I wouldn't trade it for anything and I won't let someone else wrench on it.I built it, I love it!! Most people ask how I can tolerate it.
I guess long story short, the tech at comp seems to be right , yet I feel this is a standard response to "we don't know what the hell is going on" sort of a damage control response. If you don't have enough spring pressure to collapse a OEM lifter and you are not going to spin to high heaven, then why stray from the OEM lifter? Build your car to suit the application.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Just got done taking the intake off the engine and discovered all clips are still in their happy place. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones..
I only wish I would've had a camera.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 AM

I just checked mine too. You do not have to take the intake manifold off, just the valve covers. Get a flashlite and carefully look down where the pushrod goes. You can see the top of the lifter there. All my clips were intact. Check all the polylocks too while your at it. I had a polylock come loose before. The pushrod came off and luckily settled in the valley area, undamaged.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by EDS Z28
I just checked mine too. You do not have to take the intake manifold off, just the valve covers. Get a flashlite and carefully look down where the pushrod goes. You can see the top of the lifter there. All my clips were intact. Check all the polylocks too while your at it. I had a polylock come loose before. The pushrod came off and luckily settled in the valley area, undamaged.
I was doing other things which required the manifold be taken off.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 AM

Has anyone organized a mass email to Comp?

As in everyone start emailing Comp about the problems with their Comp R lifters asap urging them to re-engineer them?

Quick Reply: Comp R's