LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Comp R's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 01:34 AM

Re: Comp R's

Sorry, for some reason my ISP is not allowing me to view them??? I'm assuming the snap ring is better? I thought comp R's were so good/popular?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 PM

The one thing I don't understand is how Comp Cams has such a serious issue with these things and they get away with it. I think something needs to be done about it. They should at least send free replacements. I won't even mentioned the people who lost their motors due to them.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Glad that I decided to read this thread. Have a set of them soaking in oil for about a month for a build that I am half way through only to find out that they are the junky ones.

Anyone know a course or action to get them to replace them. These are brand new but I bought them at a NHRA race from the booth last year sometime. I really have no clue where the receipt is anymore.

If anyone knows if I can get them replaced by them with another series lifter I would greatly appreciate the line of action to take.

Looking at them you can really see how thin that metal retaining piece is that hold them in place. It seems to be a just a piece of hardened spring steel which is very think just pressed in place compared to the old standard 1/16th of an inch thick or more piece of rod stock was used for ever.

Last edited by LJ93Z28GM; 09-14-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:52 PM

I talked to a rep and was told since mine are un used to send mine in for a different set or a credit towards any other item from them. They are willing to work with me which is glad to see from a company in our day and age.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Thumbs down Re: Comp R's

I think it's ridiculous for blaming the lifter on all these failures. From some of the pictures I've seen the clips look HAMMERED. I wonder how that happened? Especially when the retaining clip for the pluger does absolutely nothing once the lifters have been properly adjusted.
None of these pictures convince me the lifters are to blame. I'd be much more interested in looking at the cam profiles and spring rates along with max rpm established, valve adjustment proceedure and driving habits of all the ones who've reported failures on these dirty, evil, no good lifters.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I think it's ridiculous for blaming the lifter on all these failures. From some of the pictures I've seen the clips look HAMMERED. I wonder how that happened? Especially when the retaining clip for the pluger does absolutely nothing once the lifters have been properly adjusted.
None of these pictures convince me the lifters are to blame. I'd be much more interested in looking at the cam profiles and spring rates along with max rpm established, valve adjustment proceedure and driving habits of all the ones who've reported failures on these dirty, evil, no good lifters.
I'm no expert but if Bret says he's spec'ed his set ups out completely and the clips still don't work that is good enough for me. How come people can put in stock lifters and do the same things and they work fine.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
I'm no expert but if Bret says he's spec'ed his set ups out completely and the clips still don't work that is good enough for me. How come people can put in stock lifters and do the same things and they work fine.
That is what I did. Comp r gave out before I even really drove the car, have the stock ones in now, no problems.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
What preload are these people adjusting the stockers to after reinstalling?
Do you have any idea what the purpose of the clips are?

Last edited by SS RRR; 09-15-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 PM

Thats what I am wondering what preload are they running these at. From reading ALOT of post I take it that Comp R lifters are more or less like a solid lifter with a roller tip right? Could it be that too much preload could cause the lifter not to bleed down enuff and at high RPM the lifters are getting so much oil that they for lack of a better term 'explode' and snap the clips out? BTW I agree the new clip design does look crappy, I acutally purchased a set of used Comp R's off this board with the old clips rather then new ones.

Jason
Old 09-15-2005, 02:41 PM

Even though it doesn't matter since this topic has been beaten to death and people aren't going to change their minds after their first impression I believe it is from too little preload and a majority experience valve float at high rpm which hammers the snot out of the clips causing them to break. The clip should have absolutely no load on them if the valvetrain is adjusted properly.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:08 PM

I just found out the studs I am using have a 24 thread count. One full turn of the adjusting nut would be .060. This means if I were to do a "1/16" preload adjustment as everyone else claims is the golden rule of Comp Cams R lifter preload then that would be .036. If I am to stay w/in CC's recommended tolerance of .004-.006 my adjustment should be between 1/16 and 1/8 of a turn... whatever that equates to.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:24 PM

hey guys where can i buy a set of those morels lifter
Old 09-16-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2020
hey guys where can i buy a set of those morels lifter
Thunderracing has them.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I agree with the above, I think we have a lot of varying installations going on here and different mechanical abilities and some valve float. My comp r's were pre-loaded to.050 and I've had no problems spinning up to 7K.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:08 AM

Yes we have lots of variables here. But with all those variables there is one constant--newer Comp R's with the clips coming off way more often than they should.

According to the techs at Comp, you'll certainly break them if you preloaded them .050. Don't ask me to explain it, ask them. .004-.006 is it. Hot or cold? They don't say. I think you guys are over complicating this--people are told to run basically no preload with these things. It shouldn't be surprising that quite often (maybe by being a thou or two off in the adjustment, maybe the motors just heat up enough to add enough lash) they're right at zero lash in the heat of battle which will pound on the retainer clips. And those whimpy little things just don't hold up to that.

Quick Reply: Comp R's