LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Z28 vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 11:15 AM

Re: Z28 vs SS

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
Explain to me this: if SS cars perform so much better, why don't they show this kind of performance at the track or on the dyno?
I don't know, according to you they do perform better at the track:

To be fair the the SS/WS6 crowd... some of the models DID have lids & decent exhaust factory installed. These are the 345hp versions and they will be a tenth or two quicker due mostly to the lid.
This was my point, glad you agree.

WS-6 and SS cars are an appearance package, with minor handling upgrades. Even the window sticker says appearance package.
Wrong.

These are old posts you made regarding this same topic. Very credible source you are.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
99% of LS1 guys put LIDS on their car, not a CAI. A lid/catback car would sure smoke a stock Z28/SS. Get a ****ing clue.

You sound like a damn ricer. "With the money you save, bla bla bla". Who ****ing cares? My car looks better and has a much better feel than a Z28. I've owned both and driven a number of f-bodies. The SS cars handle better and look 10X better. Does this make the car 'something special'? Well, that's personal opinion and I couldn't give 2 ****s if you think it's 'special'. If you enjoy your Z28, that's great. But to say an SS is ONLY an appearance package is retarded at best.
Damn, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings so bad, please stop crying It's you that sounds like a ricer with that "my car looks better crap and my car looks 10 times better" congragulations, now go get some neon lights All Im saying is why pay that extra $3,500 for a usless hood and exhaust if your into performance . Im gald your happy with your car and you dont need to be so defensive. The main point is that for the most part is... THE SS IS AN APPEARANCE PACKAGE!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anasazi
my weener is bigger than your weener
^^^
Old 05-19-2005, 04:20 PM

For f--k sakes! It's a camaro, what else matters?!?! Ss, Z28, 82Z, sS, who gives a damn, just luv what'cha got! (jeez) And they say I got issues.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 96KillaZ
Damn, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings so bad, please stop crying It's you that sounds like a ricer with that "my car looks better crap and my car looks 10 times better" congragulations, now go get some neon lights All Im saying is why pay that extra $3,500 for a usless hood and exhaust if your into performance . Im gald your happy with your car and you dont need to be so defensive. The main point is that for the most part is... THE SS IS AN APPEARANCE PACKAGE!
LOL You really hurt my feelings. My car looking better than yours has nothing to do with being a ricer, it has to do with the car looking better. It's more than a hood and exhaust *****. Suspension and wheels and tires are the PERFORMANCE part of the package.

You are entitled to your opinion, wrong as it may be. Handling is performance kid.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:07 PM

exhaust *****.
Never saw that option.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Never saw that option.
Clever.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:01 AM

I don't know, according to you they do perform better at the track:

This was my point, glad you agree.

Wrong.

These are old posts you made regarding this same topic. Very credible source you are.
LOL if you think I was serious about that "10 second ride from the factory" then I question whether you own an fbody at all. Furthermore, I never said the SS performed better at the track. Since when does .04g on a skidpad (this is the difference between the handling of an SS and the handling of a z28) have anything to do with how a car gets down the track more quickly than another car? An ss could POTENTIALLY be a tenth or two quicker, IF it had the factory installed lid (we all appreciate you blowing my comments out of proportion and taking them way out of context by conveniently cropping out the parts you didn't want to see, your commitment to the SS > z28 is admirable). These 345hp packages were generally custom ordered, and there were not very many. I doubt you have one judging from your posts and the fact that yours is a year 2000. I'd also like you to find me a camaro that races seriously at the track that doesn't have a lid. LOL So you're back on even playing ground, because just about EVERYONE buys a lid almost immediately. Furthermore, the stiff SS suspension and taller wheels generally causes it to LOSE a few tenths in the 1/4 mile, but you cropped that part of my post out also. Bravo-- you're stroking your own fragile ego again by pretending I didn't say things which I clearly did.

I'm not being defensive, I'm being realistic. What I see here are a bunch of delusional SS owners doing whatever they can to convince themselves the SS is worth the extra $4000-8000 they spent on it. SS over z28 is nothing but a matter of personal choice. Like the color of a car, choosing one over the other doesn't make it "better," It's all subjective to one's personal taste.

Look-- no one is jealous of your car, you can deflate your ego now. The only people interested in that crap are the ricers and SS enthusiasts. the rest of us LS1 fbody owners know there is no difference in performance, but admire the car for what is is: an american sports car, whether it's an SS or not.

I'd challenge an SS in a stock suspension z28 on a road course any day, bet it's a photo finish every time. Like I said, the difference in performance of an SS over a z28 (or WS6/firehawk over a Trans-am) is negligible at best. Take that for what you will.

By the way, smart guy. Unless you specifically ordered the 345hp option (which was another $750 or so) you do not have a factory installed lid unless you got lucky. LOL For $750 I could buy 5 lids. The guys who actually think the SS is a "performance" package are usually the guys who think the LS1 in the camaro is different from the LS1 in the corvette. LOL

"Wrong as usual?" Show me the huge difference in 1/4 mile times between the "performance" SS and a plain old crappy z28. Show me the HUGE performance difference between a z28 and an SS on a road course--- I'd like a video or a scanned magazine article stating that the SS won by a jaw-dropping margin. And by the way, When you have to resort to calling me names, you have no right to judge who's credible and who's not. I've built and rebuilt more cars than you've wacked off to in Motor Trend.

Look, I know you're upset that you bought an SS thinking you'd be blowing the doors off of z28's all day stock for stock, but get with the program: your car is an appearance package.

I personally have nothing against SS cars, it's the people who drive them that bug me. I almost bought one myself back in the day, but then I realized I didn't want one.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 05-20-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shempy
1) $4,000 may be high, but it got you those parts as OEM, with GM's approval and was all covered by a 3yr/36,000 warranty. That doesn't happen when you d.i.y.

2) Not all Camaro buyers are do it yourselfers, you may be surprised to learn.

3) The SS allowed you to buy into the options, which again, for the non-do it yourselfer, or the person who valued a warranty, wasn't going to happen any other way. The 1LE and Bilstein options were very good buys when you factor in parts, installation and warranty.

4) That $4000 was MSRP. You didn't pay MSRP on your Z did you?

Where's the empirical evidence? I've not seen any controlled testing to prove or disprove this, so how can one make such a blanket statement? To me, you have to take the same driver and put him/her into the cars at the same night, and you can't do it just on two cars, you have to do it on several since LS1's vary so widely anyway.

Most of who? And where's the proof? Enthusiasts who are on these boards do not make up the majority of buyers. I don't claim most bought the SS for resale, but the fact is they get more at resale, so it's not as though you're losing all of the $3,300 you paid for the SS option.

No prior SS ever came close to that, and you do realize the SS still had to meet all of GM's requirements and federal EPA requirements. So you think you can get a 10 second car on DOT's, manifolds, cats and meet emissions?

Where is this dyno nonsense coming from? You'd have to dyno back to back on the same dyno on the same day. You could take any two cars and get a variation. an SS could have gotten a lower hp LS1 than the Z and dyno lower, that doesn't mean the SS package was ineffective, it just means it couldn't over come the factory deficiency.

You're funny, you call it personal taste, but I don't think you believe that since you call it nothing special and that it's not faster. It may be marginal and nearly imperceptable on the dragstrip, but some people take these cars on tracks that have turns (you should try it sometime). The SS, particularly optioned out will blow away the Z

Photo album? You don't even know what you're talking about. Um, do you think you could pay someone to install and/or warranty that suspension for $300, and again, do you pay MSRP at the dealer? The SS options all had a 15% markup which you could negotiate.

I know you like to think you're open minded, but....
LOL Okay, show ME some epirical evidence of a fully opitioned out SS (ranging around $36000 to a fully optioned z28 at around 28,000 assuming both are brand new) "blowing away" a z28. Also, let's try hard to develop a sense of humor, okay? the "10 second" comment was clearly sarcasm. You're either 60 years old, or the "i read a lot of magazines" kind of person. Let's try to comprehend my post before we start arguing with it. You're only agreeing with me. Common sense FTW.

Also, since when did a ram-air hood, wheels, spoiler, and suspension EVER show a difference on a dyno? Think about it, and get back to me. The performance exhaust doesn't flow THAT much better than a z28 to make much of a diff. on the dyno. if you have a lid that may be a diff. story, but not many did.

Evidently your SS car isn't as special as you think it is if you didn't get the commemorative album. yes I DO know what I'm talking about. Me personally? I wouldn't worry about taking my suspension in for warranty. Do you realise how badly you have to abuse a car to have to have it taken in for warranty repairs on SUSPENSION? YOu've either wrecked your car, or driven it off the road in about 99% of cases. Springs and swaybars don't exactly "fail" on their own. LOL IN THAT event, the dealer would turn you down for service anyway.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 05-20-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:46 AM

One last post to make my intentions clear:

I'm not bashing SS cars, I like them well enough. I'm bashing the attitude/ideas that some people have about their SS cars. The "My car is better" or the "my car is faster" and my personal favorite "My car is better, faster, AND it's limited/rare." These are really starting to get old.

But for the last time, I'm not jealous, defensive, or angry. I don't care. It was your choice of cars, not mine. I don't care if you drive a daihatsu. If it's nice, respectable, and something to be proud of good for you, but please keep the cocky attitudes out of my (our) face. 1 in 5 camaros is an SS. Any of us on this website could have one IF WE WANTED ONE. We're not impressed. Is your car something to be proud of? Hell yes. Is everyone else's car something to be proud of? Of course! It's not a big deal.

Like I said before: z28 vs. SS is an argument that can't be won. It's like trying to decided what makes the hottest woman, or what the best color is, or even what the best exhaust system is (borla). It's all relative to personal taste.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by 99blackSS
Straight line = very close

Handling, appearance, and resale value = better

Please let there be a lock.
All personal choice.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:22 AM

An LS1 is an LS1, just let it die
Old 05-20-2005, 06:37 AM

Holy crap. You guys need to get some ego checks in here. The SS is a great car. The Z28 is a great car. The Trans Am is a great car. The Formula is a great car. See a pattern forming here? As far as straight line performance goes the fastest LS1's are stripper M6 Z28's & Formulas (less weight). The SS and WS6 have not and never will show superior numbers at the track. But they undeniably do have better handling with the suspension upgrades they come with.

But look at some of the longer sigs around here. There are better suspension mods to be bought and installed for all our cars. And if your going to be serious at drag racing then your going to buy them regardless of the model you drive. Same goes for rims. They are nothing you can't buy on ebay. Resale value is a good point. The SS and WS6 can and do hold the value better. But some people do not buy the car with the intent to sell it so resale means nothing and initial car price means everything.

SS's Rare? SS's & WS6's are a dime a dozen. I see them everywhere. But only 1600 Formulas were made in 1999 so I guess my car is truly rare Seriously the only really rare F-bodies IMO are Firehawks and factory made Formula WS6's. I have only seen one firehawk on thr street and never seen a Formula WS6.

We all have the same engine, transmission and gear ratios. We are the same friggin cars with very MINOR differences. Besides the SS looks like a piece of garbage when parked next to a clean black WS6

J/K
Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 AM

LOL if you think I was serious about that "10 second ride from the factory" then I question whether you own an fbody at all.
Your reading comprehension skills are pathetic. Where did you even begin to get the idea I thought your 10 second comment was serious? I didn't make any response to it. Check the post again. I have over 400 passes at the track in my last two f-bodies. Do you have that much experience racing these cars? Highly doubtful.

Furthermore, I never said the SS performed better at the track.
I have a hard time believing that you're this dumb. Here's what you said...one more time for ya.

To be fair the the SS/WS6 crowd... some of the models DID have lids & decent exhaust factory installed. These are the 345hp versions and they will be a tenth or two quicker due mostly to the lid.
I know the base SS cars didn't come with lids, again read the entire thread and all my posts before you make an *** of yourself, again.

Since when does .04g on a skidpad (this is the difference between the handling of an SS and the handling of a z28)
Again, you are admitting it performs better (read, handles better). This has been my point, along with the fact that the 345 hp optioned SS cars would be slightly quicker at the track. So far, we are pretty much in agreeance. Again, I NEVER said the suspension would make the SS faster in a straight line. Stop making **** up.

An ss could POTENTIALLY be a tenth or two quicker, IF it had the factory installed lid
I agree, I have been saying the same thing, nothing more. In fact, I even agree a fully optioned SLP car will only have a slight advantage in a straight line. Here, I'll quote my original post for you:

Originally Posted by 97Bowtie
Once you get into SLP optioned SS cars, you WILL see better straight line performance (albeit slight) as well.
Look familiar?

we all appreciate you blowing my comments out of proportion and taking them way out of context by conveniently cropping out the parts you didn't want to see, your commitment to the SS > z28 is admirable
Please, show me where I blew any comment out of proportion. You're being presumptuous and classifying me as what you think of as a 'typical SS owner'. I have no commitment to SS > Z28 :lol, has nothing to do with that. I couldn't care less, I'm just correcting people who say there is NO performance advantage. You have already admitted they handle better, that is the MAIN performance advantage of the SS.

Furthermore, the stiff SS suspension and taller wheels generally causes it to LOSE a few tenths in the 1/4 mile, but you cropped that part of my post out also. Bravo-- you're stroking your own fragile ego again by pretending I didn't say things which I clearly did.
No, I 'cropped' it out of the quote because I didn't necessarily totally disagree with it. I cut consistent 2.0x 60's in my SS bone stock, so I don't think the suspension/wheels tires are much a problem if you are a good driver. However, I can see a mediocre driver having a little trouble cutting the same 60's in an SS as they would in a Z28. Yup, really trying to stroke my E-ego.

What I see here are a bunch of delusional SS owners doing whatever they can to convince themselves the SS is worth the extra $4000-8000 they spent on it
I didn't spend $4-8k more on my car. I spent about $1500-2k more than I would have on a Z28, but then again the car books for ~ $3k more than a comparable Z28. *shrug* Money isn't an issue so I don't need to justify anything about my purchase. I just enjoy the car. Again, you're being presumptuous and making **** up. Try to put your personal biases aside and read my responses with a different set of glasses.

Look-- no one is jealous of your car, you can deflate your ego now. The only people interested in that crap are the ricers and SS enthusiasts. the rest of us LS1 fbody owners know there is no difference in performance
I can't come up with any other reason why you are being so defensive, jealously is usually the cause. I would hope you aren't jealous. Now there is no difference in performance? Do you mean straight line performance or handling as well? You've already contradicted yourself a few times. Habits are tough to break.

By the way, smart guy. Unless you specifically ordered the 345hp option (which was another $750 or so) you do not have a factory installed lid unless you got lucky.
Oh gee, no ****?

The guys who actually think the SS is a "performance" package are usually the guys who think the LS1 in the camaro is different from the LS1 in the corvette.
The main performance difference is the suspension/handling. Using your argument, if you took a ZO6, pulled the LS6 out and stuffed a stock LS1 in the car (and added 100 lbs or so to even up the weight), it would no longer have any performance advantage over a base Vette. It would still handle better and would still have a performance advantage over the base Vette. Stop reading into performance as ONLY straight line performance and what I'm saying might make sense.

Show me the HUGE performance difference between a z28 and an SS on a road course--- I'd like a video or a scanned magazine article stating that the SS won by a jaw-dropping margin. And by the way, When you have to resort to calling me names, you have no right to judge who's credible and who's not. I've built and rebuilt more cars than you've wacked off to in Motor Trend.
If you need a scanned magazine article (since when are car magazines a credible source for performance numbers..?) to show that a car with bigger wheels/tires and better suspension will pull a better lap time, you are worse off than I thought. It's common sense. As far as building more cars than me.... You don't know me, but being presumptuous is your forte. Think what you will chump.

Look, I know you're upset that you bought an SS thinking you'd be blowing the doors off of z28's all day stock for stock
Do a search on my name. I have more experience with these cars than you think. Again, you're classifying. Your arguments and accusations have ZERO foundation.

I personally have nothing against SS cars, it's the people who drive them that bug me.
This explains a lot. Just as a lot of people classify Supra guys as *******s, never give them a chance, and assume they are holier than thou *********. Not everyone who owns an SS is a dick or uneducated. I've been modding/racing these cars for 6 years. I simply see handling as performance and the SS has a slight advantage. It's that simple. If you'd stop judging people before you know anything about them, you might get along better.

Last edited by 97bowtie; 05-20-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:30 AM

All personal choice.
Except for the handling/resale part. If resale doesn't mean anything to you, it doesn't change the fact that it has better resale value.

If handling from the factory means **** to you, it doesn't change the fact that the SS will handle a little better from the factory.

These are both objective, looks/personal taste are subjective and nobody expects you to like the SS better than a Z28, NOBODY CARES! Some of us are simply arguing the objective facts. Those who aren't, aren't worth a response for personal preferences can't be argued.

Quick Reply: Z28 vs SS