LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Z28 vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 08:08 AM

Re: Z28 vs SS

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
Losing MPH in the 1/4 has little to do with 'tire shock'. The larger diameter wheel (18" vs 17") will lower your trap speed primarily because the wheel is heavier and you are moving more weight further away from the rotating center of the wheel.

The SS is more than just an appearance package. Even the base SS cars will out handle a Z28. Thicker swaybars, bigger wheels/tires and stiffer springs all make it a better track/autocross car. Once you get into SLP optioned SS cars, you WILL see better straight line performance (albeit slight) as well. The fully optioned SS with Bilstiens, lid and 2OTL exhaust will make more power and handle better than base Z28s. I have seen a number of the fully optioned SS cars roll 325-330 rwhp.

This is not to say an SS will blow a Z28 away on a track/autocross, it won't. The advantage isn't that great.

Either way, the SS looks better and that's why most of us buy them.
My car is bone factory stock and puts down 320rwhp/337rwtq

I could of gotten an SS.. would of been easier to find around here back in 2002 when I was hunting down my car.. but honestly, I dont like the look, the options or the added weight..
All I wanted was a Z28 with T-tops and a 6 speed. Not far from what I got.. Ohh, and it had to be black.. I ended up with a t-top car with no power options whatsoever (yay!), but it also lacked cruise control (fixed that last monday.. over 2 years I have had this car and had not installed factory cruise control and it only tool about 1.5 hours to do it! grr!)

I bet the extra weight and rolling resistance gets me the nod in a straight line.. and as I said before thats all I really do with my Z.. wanna go on twisties? Ill use my ASP car .. (1987 Porsche 944S)
Old 05-13-2005, 10:09 AM

I don't get this thread one bit. I've had an SS and I now have a Z28. Can't yall just be happy that you have an LS1 powered Camaro and stop b!tching over what amounts to at most a tenth of a second in the quarter mile? Buy a lid and get over it. At least you're not sporting a riced-out Honda Civic bragging about how your new fart-can exhaust has dropped you from a 16.5 to a 16.3.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mustang5.0
The 2002 SS Camaro has a bit more power due to the larger
exhaust. Also, when getting up to 90 MPH or so, the SS will
pull better due to the RAM AIR hood. I have never been beat by
a stock/slightly moded Z28 or stock 'Stang. ( I also have the
SLP Dual Dual. Helps a bit... )
Jim
The ss hood in stock config is NOT a ram air hood. Its cold air induction.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:44 AM

Losing MPH in the 1/4 has little to do with 'tire shock'. The larger diameter wheel (18" vs 17") will lower your trap speed primarily because the wheel is heavier and you are moving more weight further away from the rotating center of the wheel.

The SS is more than just an appearance package. Even the base SS cars will out handle a Z28. Thicker swaybars, bigger wheels/tires and stiffer springs all make it a better track/autocross car. Once you get into SLP optioned SS cars, you WILL see better straight line performance (albeit slight) as well. The fully optioned SS with Bilstiens, lid and 2OTL exhaust will make more power and handle better than base Z28s. I have seen a number of the fully optioned SS cars roll 325-330 rwhp.

This is not to say an SS will blow a Z28 away on a track/autocross, it won't. The advantage isn't that great.

Either way, the SS looks better and that's why most of us buy them.
Not an argument here but just as many 01/02 z28's put 325 to 330 stock to the ground.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:04 PM

depends on what you looking for really. i got a 1le z. i would take a z over an ss anyday, just cause its stuff ill replace anyways. if you want a more "limited" car take an ss, if you want an fcar you can butcher with mods take the z and...go buy a hood if you need something out front.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by kaotik_good
depends on what you looking for really. i got a 1le z. i would take a z over an ss anyday, just cause its stuff ill replace anyways. if you want a more "limited" car take an ss, if you want an fcar you can butcher with mods take the z and...go buy a hood if you need something out front.
SS's get butchered for racing too. Look at the 35th anv SS at RPM in Lewisville. Not much stock on it anymore.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by psychocabbage
My car is bone factory stock and puts down 320rwhp/337rwtq
You would have put down more with a lid and a 2OTL exhaust. That's my point, nothing more.

I bet the extra weight and rolling resistance gets me the nod in a straight line.. and as I said before thats all I really do with my Z..
What does your bone stock car weigh? My bone stock SS (no SLP options) weighed 3360.

wanna go on twisties? Ill use my ASP car .. (1987 Porsche 944S)
Nobody was comparing a stock SS to an ASP Porsche, but rather a stock Z28 with smaller sway bars, smaller wheels/tires and softer springs.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
Not an argument here but just as many 01/02 z28's put 325 to 330 stock to the ground.
Understood, but again, those same cars would have put down more with a lid and a 2OTL exhaust.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:15 PM

SS's will have more power, period! Its easy to understand. Even the few more mods it has will put a small advantage in its favor.
Although each car seems to be different in performance but As a whole, generally, SS's will have more HP on an average. I have seen many 02 SS's trapping 108 at the track as the Norm for a stocker Z is more like 105-107.
Every little bit helps.
As far as Cabbage's remark on rolling resistance, that is a very pheasable argument. There is more rolling resistance then people realize between 16's and 17's. Of course adding in a few factors such as the weight certain options bear will probably even out the advantages in the end. So there are probably very few situations where it plays a decitive factor in the outcome of the race.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM

Understood, but again, those same cars would have put down more with a lid and a 2OTL exhaust.
Not all SS's came with a lid and NO LS1 SS came with 2OTL, dual/dual yes.

Both were options but not even for all years of SS's. Mine sure didn't come with them.

Yes, you could get more performance options w/an SS, but few people chose to spend an extra gran for a catback when they could go aftermarket for much less or the extra cash for the auburn diferential etc etc.

It will still boil down to a driver's race.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Not all SS's came with a lid and NO LS1 SS came with 2OTL, dual/dual yes.

Both were options but not even for all years of SS's. Mine sure didn't come with them.

Yes, you could get more performance options w/an SS, but few people chose to spend an extra gran for a catback when they could go aftermarket for much less or the extra cash for the auburn diferential etc etc.

It will still boil down to a driver's race.
I know they were options.

Who cares how many people chose to get the lid/exhaust option on the SS, the fact is you COULD get the option and those cars are faster from the factory. That is, again, the argument, not what aftermarket parts you could buy if you opt not to get the options, etc.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:16 PM

About 90% or so of the people on this board get an aftermarket exhaust and a cold air intake. With the money you save on getting a z28 versus an ss you can smoke an ss with those two mods. A CAI is better on a z28 than the ram air on a SS because the SS has the intake right above the engine bay. And the exhaust on the SS may be slightly more free flowing than that of a z28 but they both still sounds the same, so I doubt it is that much less restrictive. Bassically an SS is an apperance package and a car that allows punks to think their SS is faster than a Z28 just because it looks faster. Thats right, I said it... What!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CrabhartZ28
They also retain their value better, and people are way more biased toward them. But if you meet an SS guy who thinks he can take your modded Z, he deserves to be demolished.
Come down to MO and se if you modded Z can demolish my SS.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shempy
So the optional Dual/Dual exhaust is nothing?

The option of Koni DA shocks or SLP/Bilstein shocks are nothing?

THe 1LE spring or Eibach spring options were nothing?

The Blackwing lid, optional in 2002 was nothing?

The Auburn differential and cover?

The 17x9 versus 16x8 wheels were nothing for traction and handling?

Well, I guess if you throw all that out, yes, the SS was an appearance package. The power increase was very slight, but there's more to it than that.
On paper, sure. In the real world with real drivers, that doesn't mean much. Mine ran a 12.89 stock, without all that stuff you listed. How many of the cars with the extras you listed actually ran a high 12?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by robb4964
SS's will have more power, period!

I have seen many 02 SS's trapping 108 at the track as the Norm for a stocker Z is more like 105-107.
Every little bit helps.
Mine trapped at 109

Quick Reply: Z28 vs SS