LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Z28 vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Re: Z28 vs SS

Originally Posted by greatwhitess
Come down to MO and se if your modded Z can demolish my SS.
Thats cute, this guy thinks that because his car looks fast it can beat a modded Z28.... Nice hood and spoiler though
Old 05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Banned

my weener is bigger than your weener
Old 05-18-2005, 08:15 PM

my spoon is too big.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Strahley
Mine trapped at 109
So did mine..Fully loaded TA with worse sixties..Whats your point? Im saying if you average them all out the SS would have a small advantage as a whole.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by robb4964
So did mine..Fully loaded TA with worse sixties..Whats your point? Im saying if you average them all out the SS would have a small advantage as a whole.
Judging from your post, you say that an SS will trap higher than a Z28. My point is that my Z28 trapped higher than the SS you saw. An SS doesn't have an advantage, it all comes down to which car has a better driver behind the wheel
Old 05-19-2005, 02:23 AM

the SS suspension is the opposite of what one wants to have for the track...

Unless you bought your SS with SLP options (345 hp package) you're driving a z28 with an appearance pacakge, just like the sticker says (SS appearance pacakge, $3950 or somewhere around there).

Lid and exhaust are the only real performance mods, for $3950 I could have way more than a lid and exhaust. The hood is practically non-functional until well into triple-digit speeds, and the suspension is good for handling, not for drag racging. Plenty of z28s are trapping 107-109, it has to do with the year of the car, not with the hood and wheels. Most pre 01 z28's/SS cars only trapped 104-106ish, with the addition of the LS6 intake, they jumped a few MPH. ALL models, not just SS/WS6/Firehawk cars.

And do the guy with the SS who doesn't think he'll be demolished: I'm in missouri--- perhaps we should find out?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:00 AM

Man what a rip off SSs are, I will have to remember that when I sell it and it goes for more than the equivalent Z28.

It's the performance appearance option, jealous parties like to neglect the performance part because only a little part of the performance part includes hp.

SS=NOT just appearance
Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 AM

LOL Yeah. A lid, slightly above-average suspension, and mediocre exhaust are real hard to come by for just under $4000. I could make a replica for probably less than that $4000 and have a MUCH more unique car than your "limited production" SS, one of about 40,000.

Explain to me this: if SS cars perform so much better, why don't they show this kind of performance at the track or on the dyno?

Resale value? Who gives a damn. Most of us plan on keeping our cars a LONG time, so we're not real worried about a car holding its value. I know I'm not. Camaros aren't exactly in high demand either, being that they halted production for just that reason.

Hood, spoiler, wheels, above-average suspension, lid and exhaust... should be good for a 10 second ride from the factory...

Like I said, unless you have the 345 hp SLP version of the SS (which consistently dyno the same as regular old z28s/trans-ams), then all you're driving is a z28 with a hood, spoiler and wheels with a bit stiffer suspension, handled in-house by GM-- which can be bought on slp's website for just under $400 for the complete 1LE set--- which is what's on SLP cars. ONLY the 345 hp packages were handled by SLP in the later years, and came with "high-end" performance goodies, like a lid. And the same exhaust with a center mount kit. Some cool ground effects. Good for another second or two off the 1/4 mile time, and at pushing at LEAST 3.5g on the skidpad.

SS guys say we're jealous, z28 guys say you've wasted money. It's an argument that can't be won and it comes down to personal taste. The only people who think SS cars are better are the ones who think their mom's honda civic runs 11's in the 1/4 mile--- The rest of us don't care. Sure it's a nice, car, but it's nothing special.

Also note: if you custom ordered your OWN ss (not just buying something the dealer had available on the lot) higher level suspension was available--- at extra cost, along with some neato floormats and a photo album. Great! In fact, it was the same level II suspension SLP sold on its website for installing on z28s/trans-ams, it was something like $600 on the website, but a $900 installed option.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 05-19-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:14 AM

All show and all go...
My 2002 SS also trapped 109 MPH with a 12.88 time at
Capital Raceway in Crofton, Md. All stock from SLP.
I raced a loud 2000 'Stang GT for this run. He ran a mid 13.

It's almost like Z28's are being treated like Mustangs here boys...
Lets quit this SS/Z28 disscusion then.
Jim
Old 05-19-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mustang5.0
All show and all go...
My 2002 SS also trapped 109 MPH with a 12.88 time at
Capital Raceway in Crofton, Md. All stock from SLP.
I raced a loud 2000 'Stang GT for this run. He ran a mid 13.

It's almost like Z28's are being treated like Mustangs here boys...
Lets quit this SS/Z28 disscusion then.
Jim
The SS guys are a bit more defensive, the z28 guys are more realistic.

Oh, and it makes me chuckle to see how many 12.8's STOCK ls1 fbodies there are since a certain article came out a few years back... either we're all Evan Smith (who ran a 99 z28 to the infamous 12.89 who so many people seem to use as their fantasy standard), or "stock" is different for some people. My guess is there's plenty of "well if that car is capable of it, we all are" thinking going around. Let's see some timeslips of these 12.8 BONE stock runs-- and dated photos of the car too, as proof that the car was indeed BONE FACTORY STOCK. No lids, no slicks, etc. LOL not calling BS or anything, but you just brought up a sore topic for me. I'm sick and tired of seeing IDENTICAL 12.88 @ 109 quotes.

Not that it HASN'T been done, but ever SINCE that article, it seems that everyone is doing it.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 05-19-2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
The SS guys are a bit more defensive, the z28 guys are more realistic.

Oh, and it makes me chuckle to see how many 12.8's STOCK ls1 fbodies there are since a certain article came out a few years back... either we're all Evan Smith (who ran a 99 z28 to the infamous 12.89 who so many people seem to use as their fantasy standard), or "stock" is different for some people. My guess is there's plenty of "well if that car is capable of it, we all are" thinking going around. Let's see some timeslips of these 12.8 BONE stock runs-- and dated photos of the car too, as proof that the car was indeed BONE FACTORY STOCK. No lids, no slicks, etc. LOL not calling BS or anything, but you just brought up a sore topic for me. I'm sick and tired of seeing IDENTICAL 12.88 @ 109 quotes.

Not that it HASN'T been done, but ever SINCE that article, it seems that everyone is doing it.
this is actually one of the reasons I am keeping my car bone stock.. (ohh wait! I added cruise control! doh!) but I am confident that the car can do it as it has pulled 13.1@108 so with cooler weather, I feel we can drop a tad off of that.. Ill post up vid and everything when and if I do acheive that as its been my personal goal ever since.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 AM

LOL Yeah. A lid, slightly above-average suspension, and mediocre exhaust are real hard to come by for just under $4000. I could make a replica for probably less than that $4000 and have a MUCH more unique car than your "limited production" SS, one of about 40,000.
1) $4,000 may be high, but it got you those parts as OEM, with GM's approval and was all covered by a 3yr/36,000 warranty. That doesn't happen when you d.i.y.

2) Not all Camaro buyers are do it yourselfers, you may be surprised to learn.

3) The SS allowed you to buy into the options, which again, for the non-do it yourselfer, or the person who valued a warranty, wasn't going to happen any other way. The 1LE and Bilstein options were very good buys when you factor in parts, installation and warranty.

4) That $4000 was MSRP. You didn't pay MSRP on your Z did you?

Explain to me this: if SS cars perform so much better, why don't they show this kind of performance at the track or on the dyno?
Where's the empirical evidence? I've not seen any controlled testing to prove or disprove this, so how can one make such a blanket statement? To me, you have to take the same driver and put him/her into the cars at the same night, and you can't do it just on two cars, you have to do it on several since LS1's vary so widely anyway.

Resale value? Who gives a damn. Most of us plan on keeping our cars a LONG time, so we're not real worried about a car holding its value. I know I'm not. Camaros aren't exactly in high demand either, being that they halted production for just that reason.
Most of who? And where's the proof? Enthusiasts who are on these boards do not make up the majority of buyers. I don't claim most bought the SS for resale, but the fact is they get more at resale, so it's not as though you're losing all of the $3,300 you paid for the SS option.

Hood, spoiler, wheels, above-average suspension, lid and exhaust... should be good for a 10 second ride from the factory...
No prior SS ever came close to that, and you do realize the SS still had to meet all of GM's requirements and federal EPA requirements. So you think you can get a 10 second car on DOT's, manifolds, cats and meet emissions?

Like I said, unless you have the 345 hp SLP version of the SS (which consistently dyno the same as regular old z28s/trans-ams), then all you're driving is a z28 with a hood, spoiler and wheels with a bit stiffer suspension, handled in-house by GM-- which can be bought on slp's website for just under $400 for the complete 1LE set--- which is what's on SLP cars. ONLY the 345 hp packages were handled by SLP in the later years, and came with "high-end" performance goodies, like a lid. And the same exhaust with a center mount kit. Some cool ground effects. Good for another second or two off the 1/4 mile time, and at pushing at LEAST 3.5g on the skidpad.
Where is this dyno nonsense coming from? You'd have to dyno back to back on the same dyno on the same day. You could take any two cars and get a variation. an SS could have gotten a lower hp LS1 than the Z and dyno lower, that doesn't mean the SS package was ineffective, it just means it couldn't over come the factory deficiency.

SS guys say we're jealous, z28 guys say you've wasted money. It's an argument that can't be won and it comes down to personal taste. The only people who think SS cars are better are the ones who think their mom's honda civic runs 11's in the 1/4 mile--- The rest of us don't care. Sure it's a nice, car, but it's nothing special.
You're funny, you call it personal taste, but I don't think you believe that since you call it nothing special and that it's not faster. It may be marginal and nearly imperceptable on the dragstrip, but some people take these cars on tracks that have turns (you should try it sometime). The SS, particularly optioned out will blow away the Z

Also note: if you custom ordered your OWN ss (not just buying something the dealer had available on the lot) higher level suspension was available--- at extra cost, along with some neato floormats and a photo album. Great! In fact, it was the same level II suspension SLP sold on its website for installing on z28s/trans-ams, it was something like $600 on the website, but a $900 installed option.
Photo album? You don't even know what you're talking about. Um, do you think you could pay someone to install and/or warranty that suspension for $300, and again, do you pay MSRP at the dealer? The SS options all had a 15% markup which you could negotiate.

I know you like to think you're open minded, but....
Old 05-19-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 96KillaZ
About 90% or so of the people on this board get an aftermarket exhaust and a cold air intake. With the money you save on getting a z28 versus an ss you can smoke an ss with those two mods. A CAI is better on a z28 than the ram air on a SS because the SS has the intake right above the engine bay. And the exhaust on the SS may be slightly more free flowing than that of a z28 but they both still sounds the same, so I doubt it is that much less restrictive. Bassically an SS is an apperance package and a car that allows punks to think their SS is faster than a Z28 just because it looks faster. Thats right, I said it... What!
99% of LS1 guys put LIDS on their car, not a CAI. A lid/catback car would sure smoke a stock Z28/SS. Get a ****ing clue.

You sound like a damn ricer. "With the money you save, bla bla bla". Who ****ing cares? My car looks better and has a much better feel than a Z28. I've owned both and driven a number of f-bodies. The SS cars handle better and look 10X better. Does this make the car 'something special'? Well, that's personal opinion and I couldn't give 2 ****s if you think it's 'special'. If you enjoy your Z28, that's great. But to say an SS is ONLY an appearance package is retarded at best.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:59 AM

SS guys are more defensive? haha Look at your dumbass. Making stupid exaggerations to try to stress that we wasted money. That's your OPINION and you're entitled to it. The facts can't be disputed, you even touched on it in this post. The SS handles better than a Z28, that's performance. 90% of SS owners know exactly what they are driving and don't try to inflate the value of the car. It's a Z28 with performance/appearance upgrades.

The argument here wasn't which can be modded for less money, how much money was wasted, etc. It was about Z28 VS SS. The FACT is, you take the same driver on the same day on the same road/autocross course, give him a 100% bone stock Z28 and a 100% bone stock SS, the SS will be faster around the course. Plain and simple. Are you going to argue this? Sure, you could buy bigger wheels/tires and upgrade the suspension on your Z28, but that's not the argument here.

A while back, in another SS thread, you said SSs are just an appearance package and the window sticker doesn't mention performance, but only appearance. My window sticker says, 'Appearance/Performance' package. You're wrong as usual.

You don't have to be jealous, with ~ 40,000 produced I'm sure you can find a good deal on one.

Last edited by 97bowtie; 05-19-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Once again...

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I don't get this thread one bit. I've had an SS and I now have a Z28. Can't yall just be happy that you have an LS1 powered Camaro and stop b!tching over what amounts to at most a tenth of a second in the quarter mile? Buy a lid and get over it. At least you're not sporting a riced-out Honda Civic bragging about how your new fart-can exhaust has dropped you from a 16.5 to a 16.3.
Man I can't wait for this thread to be locked...

Quick Reply: Z28 vs SS