LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Z28 vs SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:58 PM

Re: Z28 vs SS

Originally Posted by Strahley
The only difference between a Z28 and an SS is appearance on the LS1 cars, don't let anyone get you to beleive otherwise
So the optional Dual/Dual exhaust is nothing?

The option of Koni DA shocks or SLP/Bilstein shocks are nothing?

THe 1LE spring or Eibach spring options were nothing?

The Blackwing lid, optional in 2002 was nothing?

The Auburn differential and cover?

The 17x9 versus 16x8 wheels were nothing for traction and handling?

Well, I guess if you throw all that out, yes, the SS was an appearance package. The power increase was very slight, but there's more to it than that.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:13 PM

1LE was a z28 option also not just ss...............
Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 AM

I have a 98 Z with a few mods....mostly handling. Nothing major. I have kicked a many ss butts. Pull up to a light with a straight away ahead, looked to my left there was a 96-97 (not 100% sure) black Vet and to my right a 99 black SS camaro convertable. Both with 50 plus year old men with cigars which smurked at me in my humble 98 t-top Z28.....and of course to me (a 20 chick) driving. I swear I could hear my car rev up on it own getting restless to kick out some rubber. Hit my ASR button pushed in the clutch and waited.....we all laid rubber but in a matter of seconds I was gone. (looking back I believe they were both auto...you can tell just the way it shifted...idiots) I got a nice little ticket for that. They were dumb enough to try to run when the blue and reds flashed behind us, therefore landing them with drag racing tickets and no licenses, while I drove away with careless. It was a good day. But other than what everyone else has said with better suspension....there has yet been an SS to impress me...especially for the difference they paid verses me. (a stock SS that is) They are the same pretty much, nothing that a K&N filter can't even out...in my opinion at least
Old 05-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Talking Re: Z28 vs SS

The 2002 SS Camaro has a bit more power due to the larger
exhaust. Also, when getting up to 90 MPH or so, the SS will
pull better due to the RAM AIR hood. I have never been beat by
a stock/slightly moded Z28 or stock 'Stang. ( I also have the
SLP Dual Dual. Helps a bit... )
Jim
Old 05-12-2005, 01:45 PM

i have never been beat by any stock SS or Vette.. at the track. .and i have the trophys to prove it..

the 17" wheels wont help you in a straight line.. the 16" wheels are better for drag racing..
Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 PM

A race between an SS and a Z will usually be a drivers race, unless you have a factory freak.

Ram air is a crock

The 275-40-17's on the SS are great for handling, but are not a plus for drag racing. A narrower tire with a taller and weaker sidewall will hook better.

In drag racing SS=Z28=WS6=Formula=TA if they all have similar options (gearing on a4 etc)

Its like Z28 guys that think SS's are crap have SS envy and SS guys that think they're better have delusions of grandure. They're basically the same car!!!! An SS is just an optioned Z28.

Do a search, this gets hashed out about once a month.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 05-12-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize no one here but me actually raced these cars where turning left and right counts.

I'm feeling lots of pent up hate? envy? apathy? for the SS here.

As for everyone who's beaten an SS and you Corvette beaters, well good for you for being a better driver. Count yourself special.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:09 PM

I think they are just telling you the differences...the SS IS just a cosmetic difference with ram air. The ram air isn't even completely functional till about 85+ mph anyways.

I want to get ZR1 replica wheels, 17" but they will be a little heavier than my stock 16's.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:26 PM

If we are talking stock vs. stock, what sort of tires did the SS come with? Were they stickier than the Z28?(logic would dictate the SS came with stickier tires) I also refuse to believe that more rubber would be a bad thing. If you compare the 60' time of a 245/50/R16 tire vs. a 275/40/R17 tire, same brand and model tire on the same car, I would bet you $100 that the larger tire would give you a better 60' time and a better 1/4 mile time.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by psychocabbage

12. Rear hatch release was redesigned with stiffer spring that released the hatch better
I am calling B.S. on that one. My 1999 car had a very hard time releasing the trunk. Sometimes you'd push the button and it would hop up, but then it wouldn't have completely unlatched. You had to pull up while pushing the button to get it to open. I did the spring mod and now it works great.

I am still baffled as to why GM couldn't get the hatch to open and close. The 3rd gen cars opened easily and had the pimp electric motor pull down(ala Cadillac).
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by AronZ28
If we are talking stock vs. stock, what sort of tires did the SS come with? Were they stickier than the Z28?(logic would dictate the SS came with stickier tires) I also refuse to believe that more rubber would be a bad thing. If you compare the 60' time of a 245/50/R16 tire vs. a 275/40/R17 tire, same brand and model tire on the same car, I would bet you $100 that the larger tire would give you a better 60' time and a better 1/4 mile time.
Its called TIRE SHOCK.
Stiffer and shorter sidewalls makes it easier for tires to spin because it transfers more power quicker. What do drag cars run? Tall sidewalled tires that flex. Wider tires are good, but with shorter and stiffer sidewalls it becomes negated if not overshadowed. Try running 18's on your car and see how much slower you'll go. I've talked to several guys that have gained Et and lost MPH from switching from 17's to 18's. They all wondered why.

I'll compare the stock tires of both for you. The GY F1 is far from sticky. I know, I still have a pair that I 'm about to get rid of. If you want to look at the treadwear rating of the tires as an indicator of how soft they are.
F1 (SS)- 300
RSA (Z28)- 260
Looks like the RSA is softer. Granted they both suck and are overpriced.

There is also a 30 lb difference in the rolling stock. The Z28 being lighter. Thats 30 lbs of unsprung weight.

As I said, do a search. This gets covered once a month.

Still want to bet that $100???
Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shempy
Sorry, I didn't realize no one here but me actually raced these cars where turning left and right counts.

I'm feeling lots of pent up hate? envy? apathy? for the SS here.

As for everyone who's beaten an SS and you Corvette beaters, well good for you for being a better driver. Count yourself special.
I totally agree. I've modded my suspension over the engine for that purpose, and I didn't buy the car to drag race. Its just that most people drag race, and I still do on occasion.

All this debate over the virtually same car! I'd hate to see a GM vs Ford arguement in here. Go to gmvsford.com for that action. lol
Old 05-12-2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Its called TIRE SHOCK.
Stiffer and shorter sidewalls makes it easier for tires to spin because it transfers more power quicker. What do drag cars run? Tall sidewalled tires that flex. Wider tires are good, but with shorter and stiffer sidewalls it becomes negated if not overshadowed. Try running 18's on your car and see how much slower you'll go. I've talked to several guys that have gained Et and lost MPH from switching from 17's to 18's. They all wondered why.

I'll compare the stock tires of both for you. The GY F1 is far from sticky. I know, I still have a pair that I 'm about to get rid of. If you want to look at the treadwear rating of the tires as an indicator of how soft they are.
F1 (SS)- 300
RSA (Z28)- 260
Looks like the RSA is softer. Granted they both suck and are overpriced.

There is also a 30 lb difference in the rolling stock. The Z28 being lighter. Thats 30 lbs of unsprung weight.

As I said, do a search. This gets covered once a month.

Still want to bet that $100???
Losing MPH in the 1/4 has little to do with 'tire shock'. The larger diameter wheel (18" vs 17") will lower your trap speed primarily because the wheel is heavier and you are moving more weight further away from the rotating center of the wheel.

The SS is more than just an appearance package. Even the base SS cars will out handle a Z28. Thicker swaybars, bigger wheels/tires and stiffer springs all make it a better track/autocross car. Once you get into SLP optioned SS cars, you WILL see better straight line performance (albeit slight) as well. The fully optioned SS with Bilstiens, lid and 2OTL exhaust will make more power and handle better than base Z28s. I have seen a number of the fully optioned SS cars roll 325-330 rwhp.

This is not to say an SS will blow a Z28 away on a track/autocross, it won't. The advantage isn't that great.

Either way, the SS looks better and that's why most of us buy them.

Last edited by 97bowtie; 05-12-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 AM

Didn't read the second page huh?
Uh, there is no second page.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:53 AM

Ugh... This thread again.

This questions always breaks down to a pissing match between the two camps. Those that own SSes saying they are the better of the two while the Z28 owners are saying there isn't a difference. Its been done before, and much like the old "What is the best color", or "What is the best lid thread". People will always buzz in and say exactly what it is that they have, whether that be based on any fact or opinion.

Have fun, and here's to another soon to be locked thread

Quick Reply: Z28 vs SS