Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

We now have enough info on what the next Camaro looks like.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by guionM
No worries. Car design is usually locked in pretty early in the process. GM-Holden (which moves extremely quick in producing new models) presented it's Zeta cars, including the next Monaro/GTO and an El Camino proposal to Bob Lutz, Ed Welburn, and company last month. Those cars won't be out for almost another 2 years. Also, GM design studio is working on 2008-2009 already.

The "Blue Devil" is going to be VERY expensive, and isn't exactly going to be a high production car, assuming it's produced. I don't consider the design theme that's coming out "retro" at all. It has heritage cues, but calling it retro is like calling the new C6 Corvette "retro".

I still am wondering why you are concerned about it looking like a Malibu?

As far as GM swearing off retro styling, I guess you haven't seen the 2005 HHR that's going to be on display at New York's Auto show in a few weeks & is going to be produced before years end?

As for seeing a Camaro mule, don't expect it. GM is getting away from producing alot mules, and the ones they do produce seem not to come out till right before their Auto Show debut (see: C6 Corvette, Colbalt, LaCrosse, & HHR), rendering pictures of mules on the road useless to magazines (which need at least a coupe of months lead time).
thanks for the much need assurance. if you say its gonna look good (from what you know) i'm betting it will be. what i was saying is that back in the day malibu was a good name for a car, now when i hear about the modern malibu...well i would rather be thinking about barbies malibu dream house. oh well for the mules, GM probably has some secret underground test track or someting by now anyways. i just hope the car has muscle, like a real camaro, as i hope the vette keeps its finess (sp?)
Old 03-19-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by dream '94 Z28
How exactly do you know what the new car 'will be'? If I don't like the new car when it comes out there's a very good chance my 'Camaro club card' will not be renewed. I'm a loyal enthusiast because I like every iteneration of the car so far.
Don't know anymore exactly than most others on here, but from what I've read and seen, I've got a pretty good idea. Loyalty demands you buy when it's something you like or don't like. Kinda like marriage but you don't divorce if you don't like her snoring.

What do you mean by 'it has to compete with the Mustang'? It always has? But it's equally important to GM to attract new buyers to the car, not just the present faithful.
Competition isn't just about HP and TQ. It's about sales figures and customer base. Some people just don't get it. If a car that was very similar to the 3rd or 4th gen came out and was going to compete in sales with the new Mustang, I think it would be a dismal failure. From what I see in these posts, I think this car would be able to compete much better.

If the new 'CAR' isn't as retro as you like...will you 'get over it'?
Retro, "retro" or non-retro, doesn't bother me a bit. If it looks good, who cares.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:33 PM

That's my opinion as well. I think I may have inavdertently (but unapologetically) polorized a few folks with my harsh anti-retro stance, especially towards the Mustang.
Nah, no polorization here I just think the retro arguement has a weak base. JMHO. If you decide to do some drawing on this car, please post it, love to see it.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:37 PM

If it's retro I will find another car company that produces cars that I like and want. I refuse to buy a totally retro car.

It would be nice to see GM, LEAD instead of follow.
And this whole nothing can come close to stepping on the Corvette's toes is BS.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:00 PM

http://home.comcast.net/~blackwoodga.../GenV_rev0.jpg

I think that this drawing is just plain BAD***. I have shown it to a lot of my coworkers and friends that are in my age group (27) if GM wants to target this age group, all of who I have talked to absolutely love the way these drawings are heading.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:03 PM

I love it!All the other renditions in the other links look great too, though in PlumCrazy's version I'd like to see more of a trunk and not such a long roofline.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Retro has a strong arguement against it, it turns people away. A car design taken from 1st Gens will be a design from more than 35 years ago. IMO if a car more like the Thirds came out but had improved useable space and design, it would do just fine if not better than an upright, "less sporty" Camaro. Just watch, an upright 1st Gen-like car will come out and people will look back on what the Camaro was after the 60's and want it to go back to what it became. (stand-out looks, low, wide, sporty, exotic-like, different than the M*stang in more ways) Same thing happened after the first 3 years. Think about it.

Last edited by IZ28; 03-19-2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:41 PM

I don't know,with those designs there's more of a chance to evolve than any other retro designs(that I've seen so far)without it staying retro in next generations to come.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
That's why I reworked crispey's car as above after considering Danno's car.

I actually have three versions going right now...

http://home.comcast.net/~blackwoodga.../GenV_rev1.jpg
Type A - The above version has single headlamps, more raked nose, 4th gen fenders and more of a 68 roofline. (as suggested by evok).

http://home.comcast.net/~blackwoodga.../GenV_rev0.jpg
Type B - The above version was reworked to be closer to Danno's nose.

The third version is a reworked version of Type A with a slightly different grill and a 4th gen SS hood scoop added.

It sounds like I need to rework Type B more towards Danno's nose and add the SS hood scoop.

That looks awesome. If that was the next camaro, I'd buy it in a second. Nice work.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by 91Zman
I don't know,with those designs there's more of a chance to evolve than any other retro designs(that I've seen so far)without it staying retro in next generations to come.
How? It looks exactly like a 1st Gen! That's the admitted direction!

Just wait until this gets on the M*stang boards that the Camaro is now going in a direction like the new M*stang, no matter which company had the idea first. No retro for the Camaro GM, come on!

Last edited by IZ28; 03-19-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:01 PM

the mustang wasn't the first car to go retro... so don't say that if the camaro were to go retro, it would be following the mustang's footsteps

i don't think it really looks retro... i think it looks kinda cool

atleast the camaro doesnt look like a t-bird that car is UGLY, lol
Old 03-19-2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by IZ28
How? It looks exactly like a 1st Gen! That's the admitted direction!
What I meant was that even though it does look somewhat retro it has a better means to evolve than the other retro 5thgen renderings that I've seen so far.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:48 PM

Explain.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:10 PM

Huh? Explain what? Please explain
Old 03-20-2004, 12:12 AM

Explain what you mean. The way I see it right now they can make it look like each year of the 1st Gen but that's about it, I don't know how it could look like anything different as is so far.

Quick Reply: We now have enough info on what the next Camaro looks like.