Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

We now have enough info on what the next Camaro looks like.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 01:37 PM

i can really see 2nd gen in some of those pics. put i don't know if my opinion is the right path to take or not, but i believe those who have the skill to do these drawings/models should be aggressive. i suggest try not to draw and imagine base models, but what you think a future zl1 or high end model will look like. i figure what ever you draw it will influence the guys at GM. from what i've seen they seem to be more conservative so i say spice things up. we need more 3d interaction. don't keep the traditional wheelwell (sp?) open it up to expose the tire. the odds of unconventional designs being used in a camaro might not be that great, but they are pulling this one out of the retirement hat, so who knows
Old 03-19-2004, 01:43 PM

I think this car with a LS2/6spd would be killer! I see cues from every generation except 3rd. I just finished a pen and ink makeover with changes suggested. I'll try to post it shortly.

What about T-tops though? Are those going to make it? I sure hope so, they have been a F-body trademark.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:49 PM

Actually I see some third gen influence in the rear deck/quarters, and front and rear bumpers.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:51 PM

Hmm, although I like every one of the links shown, I hope this car isn't named Camaro. From the 2nd gen onwards, F-bodies don't look like any vehicle on the road, I'm not exactly sure how to describe it but they're in between a hum-drum coupe and a sports car. These new designs are retro and harken back to 1st gens, which are cars that have a slightly muscular twist. In other words, not very unique looking. For example, my wife and mom always comment on how 4th/3rd gens stand out in the crowd, that it's nice to see something different from all the cookie cutter cars out there. I've asked for their opinion on the GTO/Mustang styling, they fit into the cookie cutter mold according to all of us. GM as usual will be a follower instead of a leader and give us one more boring car with a slightly muscular twist. What's wrong with standing out in the crowd?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:58 PM

OK, here is my redo... the scan sucks and looks real jagged but you get the idea. I think I had the scanner settings wrong (used someone's at work). I'll take it home and do a better scan if anyone is interested. Just picture this sucker with a 69 cowl type hood, 4th gen SS scoop, or 3rd gen style louvers!

Old 03-19-2004, 02:03 PM

The rumor on cheers and gears is a 4th gen style SS scoop. I actually started working on a version at home last night, but didn't finish it.

Personally I'd rather see a functional cowl induction hood like on the 69 or 80-81 Z28's.

I also played with a Saab inspired grill tweak that closely resembles the 69 RS nose.....

http://home.comcast.net/~blackwoodga...grill_rev0.jpg
Old 03-19-2004, 02:06 PM

Aztek's stand out in a crowd!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:17 PM

Aztek's stand out in a crowd!
I think I defined in my post what type of standing out I appreciate. Calling it like it is always hurts, so I expected a cheap shot like yours.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Hey, I was just joking. Does that chip on your shoulder weigh one or two tons?
Old 03-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by dnovotny
I think I defined in my post what type of standing out I appreciate. Calling it like it is always hurts, so I expected a cheap shot like yours.
I'm with you. I likes the (early) second gens much more than the first because their styling was revolutionary, unique, and very stylish. the 3rd and 4ths I think carried on this tradition with their revolutionary styling aspects.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by TA76
OK, here is my redo... the scan sucks and looks real jagged but you get the idea. I think I had the scanner settings wrong (used someone's at work). I'll take it home and do a better scan if anyone is interested. Just picture this sucker with a 69 cowl type hood, 4th gen SS scoop, or 3rd gen style louvers!

Hmm, looks like Mad Max's car. Too "retro"
Old 03-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Thumbs up Re: We now have enough info on what the next Camaro looks like.

Originally posted by guionM
http://www.wyattcon.net/images/F5Camaro.jpg

that would look awesome with a different set of wheels and a !chrome bar mod. (even though thats the first semi-good looking chrome bar ive seen)

I definetly like it
Old 03-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
As far as proportions...think overall length of the SN-95 Mustang, with a much longer wheelbase.

BTW, the fenders blending into the mirrors is news to me....I'm not a big fan of that.
I like the proportions of that to the mirror/fenders though. That was one design cue in specific I didn't want to see return. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by number77
i can really see 2nd gen in some of those pics. put i don't know if my opinion is the right path to take or not, but i believe those who have the skill to do these drawings/models should be aggressive. i suggest try not to draw and imagine base models, but what you think a future zl1 or high end model will look like. i figure what ever you draw it will influence the guys at GM. from what i've seen they seem to be more conservative so i say spice things up. we need more 3d interaction. don't keep the traditional wheelwell (sp?) open it up to expose the tire. the odds of unconventional designs being used in a camaro might not be that great, but they are pulling this one out of the retirement hat, so who knows
Not sure if you understand this, but the design of the car is for all intents & purposes is done!

Expecting someone to "aggressively" draw up a car at this point with the expectation that GM is going to incorperate it in their production car is pretty naive. Also, drawing up some imaginary high end model if you don't even take time to get the basic look of the actual car first should be done on another thread after we get to the actual look of the car.

To be honest, with us being so close to what the actual Camaro replacement is going to look like I couldn't give a penny's worth of intrest in yet another concept or whatever bizzare or occasionally halfway decent attempt at someone drawing their version of whatever model (hopefully we are aware that an individual's version has nothing to do with what Chevrolet is actually going to produce, however good it is).

I'm not trying to dump cold water on anyone here, but I think we all have gotten so used to directing whoever draws a Camaro (since we aren't directly asked input by GM) we are assuming that these drawings are actually going to take a life of their own. Now when we are actually getting insight to what a 5th gen will look like, instead of trying to get it right, we are still directing when directing isn't needed (unless you have also seen the car).

To reinterate, This thread is NOT about what YOU think the 5th gen should look like, it's about what the 5th gen does look like.

Now.... if we can get some of you talented artists to take all this and come up with a drawing for our guidance counselors to guide us on....

Last edited by guionM; 03-19-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:25 PM

what! i had no idea the designed phase was completed. i didn't even know it started. man i really hope this isn't going to be a let down. *sigh* theres always the blue devil to look foward to. and what happened to GM swearing off retro styling? i hope it looks strong, and not end up like the malibu
what are the chances of me seeing a mule in north houston?

Quick Reply: We now have enough info on what the next Camaro looks like.