Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

We now have enough info on what the next Camaro looks like.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 03:38 PM

A little cold water now and then is a good thing. It'll stun the growth of those 'bad seeds'.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:39 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if some people don't like it. The new "CAR" will be more Mustang like than some here will want. Even I dare say too "retro" for some. However, like most loyal enthusiasts, you'll get past your dislikes and praise it as the best Camaro ever built. Even the Retro-***** will come around, I guarantee it. Whether you like it or not, Camaro has to compete with Mustang, not the other way around. That said, kudos to GM, I mostly like it so far. Can't wait to actually see some spy shots. Soon you'll be going through the beginning stages of love/hate that I saw at the Mustang sites before the 2005 came out. Over there it's 99.9% love now. I also think this car will be like the Mustang in that it looks much, much better in person than in pictures.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:42 PM

GuionM, did you take a look at my hack job? Is it closer than Chrispey's original?
Old 03-19-2004, 03:57 PM

evok said crispey's nose is closer... but then chazman added it needed two h.i.d.s the same size and an angrier look. Sounds to me like he was describing what Danno saw.

Now evok has posted he doesn't know the details.

I think the only guys that really know at this point work for GM... and they ain't talkin'... yet.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:04 PM

To reinterate, This thread is NOT about what YOU think the 5th gen should look like, it's about what the 5th gen does look like.
Exactly why I posted my criticism of the styling direction. I suspected that all this "no to retro" talk was a lot of bull and unfortunately that's the case. An evolutionary car normally starts off from the last iteration and maybe pulls in some influence from previous generations. However, retro takes as its starting point a 35+ year old car and applies some modernity to it. Voila, we end up with the '05 Mustang and the "Camaro" renditions posted.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
evok said crispey's nose is closer... but then chazman added it needed two h.i.d.s the same size and an angrier look. Sounds to me like he was describing what Danno saw.

Hey...jg....

Go with what Chazman says, he is a very smart guy!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by PaperTarget
I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if some people don't like it. The new "CAR" will be more Mustang like than some here will want. Even I dare say too "retro" for some. However, like most loyal enthusiasts, you'll get past your dislikes and praise it as the best Camaro ever built. Even the Retro-***** will come around, I guarantee it. Whether you like it or not, Camaro has to compete with Mustang, not the other way around. That said, kudos to GM, I mostly like it so far. Can't wait to actually see some spy shots. Soon you'll be going through the beginning stages of love/hate that I saw at the Mustang sites before the 2005 came out. Over there it's 99.9% love now. I also think this car will be like the Mustang in that it looks much, much better in person than in pictures.
How exactly do you know what the new car 'will be'? If I don't like the new car when it comes out there's a very good chance my 'Camaro club card' will not be renewed. I'm a loyal enthusiast because I like every iteneration of the car so far.

What do you mean by 'it has to compete with the Mustang'? It always has? But it's equally important to GM to attract new buyers to the car, not just the present faithful.

If the new 'CAR' isn't as retro as you like...will you 'get over it'?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by dnovotny
An evolutionary car normally starts off from the last iteration and maybe pulls in some influence from previous generations.
I believe that's what it does. I don't think anyone is taking a first gen Camaro and modernizing it. I happen to be in the middle of restoring a 67 Camaro and to be honest I see more 4th gen in the sketch than 1st gen. Its just the nose and skirts that's giving it a retro feel.

Plus keep in mind... there were distinct transformations between each of the previous generations. Gen I was squarer and boxier than the smoothed out and swoopier Gen II. Gen III was boxier than Gen II and went to quad headlamps. Gen IV was a smoother and swoopier version of Gen III with styling cues from Gen II and Gen I (yes, the 93-97 standard hood "slots" mimicked those on the 67-69 standard hood). All indications are that since the last generation was smoother and swoopier, Gen V will get a little boxier. However to say its simply a modern version of the first generation Camaro is not 100% accurate. If it looks anything like what we're guessing, it won't be as much of a bastardized remake like the '05 Mustang is.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:24 PM

That's my opinion as well. I think I may have inavdertently (but unapologetically) polorized a few folks with my harsh anti-retro stance, especially towards the Mustang.

Being a designer styling is one aspect of design I am very passionate about. If that skecth is close to the final car, I'm anxious to see it with the additions mentioned at the beginning of the thread (hmmm...gonna be tocold to ride this weekend, perhaps i'll dist of the pens at home.....).
Old 03-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever
Hey...jg....

Go with what Chazman says, he is a very smart guy!
That's why I reworked crispey's car as above after considering Danno's car.

I actually have three versions going right now...

http://home.comcast.net/~blackwoodga.../GenV_rev1.jpg
Type A - The above version has single headlamps, more raked nose, 4th gen fenders and more of a 68 roofline. (as suggested by evok).

http://home.comcast.net/~blackwoodga.../GenV_rev0.jpg
Type B - The above version was reworked to be closer to Danno's nose.

The third version is a reworked version of Type A with a slightly different grill and a 4th gen SS hood scoop added.

It sounds like I need to rework Type B more towards Danno's nose and add the SS hood scoop.

Old 03-19-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by number77
what! i had no idea the designed phase was completed. i didn't even know it started. man i really hope this isn't going to be a let down. *sigh* theres always the blue devil to look foward to. and what happened to GM swearing off retro styling? i hope it looks strong, and not end up like the malibu
what are the chances of me seeing a mule in north houston?
No worries. Car design is usually locked in pretty early in the process. GM-Holden (which moves extremely quick in producing new models) presented it's Zeta cars, including the next Monaro/GTO and an El Camino proposal to Bob Lutz, Ed Welburn, and company last month. Those cars won't be out for almost another 2 years. Also, GM design studio is working on 2008-2009 already.

The "Blue Devil" is going to be VERY expensive, and isn't exactly going to be a high production car, assuming it's produced. I don't consider the design theme that's coming out "retro" at all. It has heritage cues, but calling it retro is like calling the new C6 Corvette "retro".

I still am wondering why you are concerned about it looking like a Malibu?

As far as GM swearing off retro styling, I guess you haven't seen the 2005 HHR that's going to be on display at New York's Auto show in a few weeks & is going to be produced before years end?

As for seeing a Camaro mule, don't expect it. GM is getting away from producing alot mules, and the ones they do produce seem not to come out till right before their Auto Show debut (see: C6 Corvette, Colbalt, LaCrosse, & HHR), rendering pictures of mules on the road useless to magazines (which need at least a coupe of months lead time).
Old 03-19-2004, 04:46 PM

The Type B that you just posted and the Congos concept do look evolutionary, so I'm starting to breathe easier. The other drawings proportions/styling scream to me retro 1st gen, particularly the front-end and higher beltline.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by TA76
GuionM, did you take a look at my hack job? Is it closer than Chrispey's original?
I'm the second party in all this.

I'm going by what people who actually saw the car say, so I'm probabally not the person to ask.

I'm just taking all the similarities and putting it together.

To all else, remember, we are going by hints, and imput by others, which means we aren't going to get the car exact, and that's not my purpose. The purpose is to get a good feel for what we're in for in the near future, without costing anyone their job or access.

Someone virtually got the front end of the car using descriptions. We have someone who saw the body enough to do a good photoshop of what he saw. We have at least 2 other people giving comments.

It's going to be a very good representation, but hold the fire till it actually hits the streets. We already know photos don't do some cars justice. I think drawings based from sources should be taken with even greater reserve.

Last edited by guionM; 03-19-2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by dnovotny
The Type B that you just posted and the Congos concept do look evolutionary, so I'm starting to breathe easier. The other drawings proportions/styling scream to me retro 1st gen, particularly the front-end and higher beltline.
Me too.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:37 PM

Not liking the direction it's going in exactly. Especially the mirrors, open grill, lack of wrap around taillights, and too upright.

Quick Reply: We now have enough info on what the next Camaro looks like.