Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The VF Commodore

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 AM

The VF Commodore

The Holden VE Commodore will see an extensive redesign and will be christened the Commodore VF, and is scheduled to hit the streets the 2nd half of next year.

The redesign is aimed not only as a refresh (in August, the VE Commodore will be the longest running Commodore model in Holden history) but will also see many components switch over to aluminum and high strength steel plus the addition of electric steering. The target is a 7% improvement in fuel economy.

Outside, many of the aerodynamic tricks found on the Eco versions of the Cruze, Malibu, and even the Volt will be employed. Outside of the aero refinements, there's still a lot of the Chevrolet influence in the upcoming redesign, and for good reason. GM intends to integrate Holden's rear drive sedans into Chevrolet's lineup in the Middle East and North and South America.

No word yet on if it will be called Commodore or Lumina outside of Australia.

.... and...I know you glanced at the calender... no, it's not April Fools day.

It's already started the rounds in the Australian car rags, so I think I can mention it here without having black Suburbans pulling up out front and men in black knocking on my door.

Last edited by guionM; 04-04-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
West South Central Moderator

Re: The VF Commodore

Chances that it will make it to the States?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Chances that it will make it to the States?
Umm.......

Originally Posted by guionM
...GM intends to integrate Holden's rear drive sedans into Chevrolet's lineup in the Middle East and North and South America.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM

The grille from the new Traverse and Impala would fit right in there stylistically.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:12 PM

electric steering? how sure is that? I've heard very poor reviews about electric steering due to the "numbness" and the fear of a faulty system.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 PM

The ZL1 and new 3 series just to name a few, have electric steering and there have been good reviews for both.

Move the steering wheel over, throw on a bowtie and bring it over!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM

The front end looks like a Volt's.
Which is not a bad thing.

Can't wait to hear & see more about the VF.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM

I'm interested to what Chevy will call this NA version of the VF,

Caprice?
Commodore?
Chevelle?
Lumina?

or something totally new, my 2 hopes are either Chevelle or Commodore, my reasons is, If it's Chevelle I hope it has enough cues to hint at past Chevelle's or it will probally have the same reception as the australian GTO. Though Dodge was able to pull off using the Charger name, I think that for it to be a 4 door sedan that Chevy needs to inject some heritage in this RWD sedan if they use the Chevelle name. It don't have to be overly retro but similar like cues that the new Impala has but modernized, throw in some retroish side pannels and taillights and call it a Chevelle and I think it would work.

Though if it's gonna be a newly styled sedan than I think calling it something new or calling it a Commodore would work. I think a Chevy Commodore sounds new and refreshing for the US market whereas a Lumina or Caprice to me would lower the impact of a RWD sedan being relaunched into the Chevy lineup. The stigma of the names like Lumina and Caprice would give mixed reactions and wouldn't bring excitement like a new name or a name that hasn't been used in a long time.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Remember, this will probably be "the Chevy" that becomes the face of GM in NASCAR. Lumina has a recent history in NASCAR. Since I doubt it will have historical "Chevelle" styling cues, other than being a 4-door RWD sedan, that name is probably out. Simply calling it the Chevy Commodore as a rebadged Holden Commodore (which is what it is) sounds simple on the surface, however I'm not sure it will bring the "buzz" GM is after. I'm all for a new name, but based on other recent new Chevy names, I'm not over confident they'd select anything better than one they already have.

Here are my top choices, in order of which I think is most likely...

1. Caprice
2. Lumina
3. Commodore
4. Monte Carlo
5. something completely new

Yeah, I know folks will argue that the Monte Carlo was a 2-door, but then so was the Dodge Charger.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
The ZL1 and new 3 series just to name a few, have electric steering and there have been good reviews for both.
I think the 2011 and up Mustang merits mention by name since its gotten great reviews for its (electric) steering feedback. Its also part of how they achieved the fuel economy numbers they did.

In my opinion, GM learned a lesson from this and sought to reap the benefits by tuning a performance electric power steering system for the aforementioned 2012 ZL1 and subsequently all 2013 Camaros.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Remember, this will probably be "the Chevy" that becomes the face of GM in NASCAR. Lumina has a recent history in NASCAR. Since I doubt it will have historical "Chevelle" styling cues, other than being a 4-door RWD sedan, that name is probably out. Simply calling it the Chevy Commodore as a rebadged Holden Commodore (which is what it is) sounds simple on the surface, however I'm not sure it will bring the "buzz" GM is after. I'm all for a new name, but based on other recent new Chevy names, I'm not over confident they'd select anything better than one they already have.

Here are my top choices, in order of which I think is most likely...

1. Caprice
2. Lumina
3. Commodore
4. Monte Carlo
5. something completely new

Yeah, I know folks will argue that the Monte Carlo was a 2-door, but then so was the Dodge Charger.
The new car won't carry the name of Lumina or Monte Carlo, because they were both used in NASCAR.
And they used Chevelle's back in the '74-'79 timeframe (not sure if the ones used in NASCAR at that time were referred to as Malibus or Chevelles).
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
The new car won't carry the name of Lumina or Monte Carlo, because they were both used in NASCAR.
And they used Chevelle's back in the '74-'79 timeframe (not sure if the ones used in NASCAR at that time were referred to as Malibus or Chevelles).
GM never said the new car won't carry the name of a former NASCAR entry, only that it would be new to the "current" Chevy line-up and not Impala or Malibu. Sure there are others as well, including Biscayne and Belair, but I doubt either of those is coming back.

From '74-79 the Chevys were mainly Monte Carlos. Chevelles were used more in the late '60s, the Monte Carlos pretty much took over by 1971. That's not to say the Chevelles may not of been used in smaller venues, heck even a Camaro or two crept into Grand National road races.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Just a couple of articles from down under confirming the obvious:

Commodore to head Nascar charge

Large cars making a comeback | Holden Commodore exports
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 PM

I wish they would just call it a Commodore. Given what it is, a large 4 door sedan, it sounds better than Caprice and the name ****'s will cry if its a Chevelle. SS would be stupid. Chevy Commodore
Old 04-10-2012, 02:32 AM

Holden and Chevrolet will see their line pretty much combined globally. The Cruze is already also made in Holden's plant in Australia, and it's also sold as Holden Cruze in Australia and New Zealand.

When GM-NA stopped selling the B-body cars in the Middle East, Holden stepped in for Chevrolet with their V-cars, Lumna and Caprice.

We already have the Caprice name here........

Quick Reply: The VF Commodore