Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The VF Commodore

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Re: The VF Commodore

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I've spotted in the last week or so a plain black 2012 Caprice sedan at the park where I walk my dog. (Actually spotted the off-duty detective who drives it last night.) To me the Caprice has the perfect dimensions so I guess I curious why we're getting the shorter wheelbase version for the civilian model.
Most people like small/er cars these days. I saw a lady struggling to park a Yaris the other day at the grocery store. I would hate to see the disaster if she tried to parellel park my Expedition in the city.

I would sport one of the new Caprices.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I would have no problem with a 6th Gen Camaro shrinking in size a bit to G35, 3 Series Coupe, Genesis Coupe or even ATS dimensions.

Weight savings seemed to be a top priority in the development of Alpha and I would hope that the same high priority would transfer to any vehicle that rides on Alpha.
Keep in mind those weight savings equaled a lot of ground breaking stuff, but it's still a Chevrolet Cruze sized car weighing 3200 pounds.

The Alpha is actually quite a small car.

To make it bigger you're using additional steel and aluminum, so naturally it's going to get heavier. Although others may think that in developing the Alpha, GM patented whole new elements on the periodic chart, and created metals that advanced beings from the Alpha Centuri galaxy haven't created yet. But in truth, GM has found corners to cut and new ways of casting some metals so in some areas (ie; the engine cradle) GM saved a few ounces here, and a pound there.

Like the Zeta, the Alpha is going to be a little light for it's size, but it isn't something that's going to reorganize the periodic table or carry miracle metals. It's going to be the sum result of cutting ounces here and there, and using smaller powerplants.

The bigger G37 coupe weighs just a hair under 3400 pounds, a V6 Genesis coupe weighs over 3400 pounds as does a current 6 cylinder 3 series.

If you want the Cobalt-sized M3, be aware it's only about 125 pounds lighter than a Camaro SS (it's about 3700 pounds).

I'd expect the 6th gen to fall in with them, maybe a few pounds lighter.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Alpha Centuri galaxy .

Alpha Centuri is a star, not a galaxy.