Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The VF Commodore

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Thumbs down Re: The VF Commodore

GM just announced the Nascar car is the Chevy SS!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING GM??? Calling a car just SS?????

How bout calling the next performance CTS just the "V"???

HELLO who was the brain dead person that came up with that..GM is you even listen to anyone on this site anymore..you know many here did have a clue and know what people want..they want a name not an option..

I want an Impala SS..a Camaro SS a Chevelle SS
Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM

Re: The VF Commodore

I'm hoping that is just a stop gap name until the official unvailing of the car.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
GM just announced the Nascar car is the Chevy SS!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING GM??? Calling a car just SS?????

How bout calling the next performance CTS just the "V"???

HELLO who was the brain dead person that came up with that..GM is you even listen to anyone on this site anymore..you know many here did have a clue and know what people want..they want a name not an option..

I agree. To say that GM has become gunshy after the 'GTO' backlash would seem to be an understatement. This car is screaming for the Chevelle name - look at what Dodge did with the Charger, and that was a revered nameplate that was never even available as a four door until it was resurrected. Not really gettin' this decision (if that is indeed final).
Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Chevelle would fit this to a "t"!!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM

I don't know why they just don't call it what it's called in Australia. Commodore is a very nice name to a performance car.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:04 PM

.... or Lumina. That's what it's called under the Chevrolet nameplate elsewhere. Even Monte Carlo.

Not a fan of the Chevelle name. May as well call it Chevette.

It was my understanding that SS is the working name or nickname. Nothhing is final till it rolls down the assembly line.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG

Caps, this is an enthusiast site of extremeist (of which I for one am also member of). But even I will also admit that to a very large degree, we DON'T know what the real buying public wants. We know what "we" want in a Camaro. But if it were up to us, Camaro would be extinct because the car wouldn't sell to enough people to even break even. To top it off, we don't even all agree on whata Camaro should be. lol.

A car maker isn't going to go to a Camaro Z28 site like this to name a midsized performance sedan. They are going to go to marketing, do a focus group, and do studies based on ideas for names. If "SS" plays well, then that's what it will be called. If some other name plays well or if there's a lot of feed back or requests for a particular name then they check in and they'll go with that.

Performance car buyers make up about 8-10% of the new car market as a whole. Over half of that aren't part of the extreme group we (or other enthusiast sites) represent.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Caps, this is an enthusiast site of extremeist (of which I for one am also member of). But even I will also admit that to a very large degree, we DON'T know what the real buying public wants. We know what "we" want in a Camaro. But if it were up to us, Camaro would be extinct because the car wouldn't sell to enough people to even break even. To top it off, we don't even all agree on whata Camaro should be. lol.

A car maker isn't going to go to a Camaro Z28 site like this to name a midsized performance sedan. They are going to go to marketing, do a focus group, and do studies based on ideas for names. If "SS" plays well, then that's what it will be called. If some other name plays well or if there's a lot of feed back or requests for a particular name then they check in and they'll go with that.

Performance car buyers make up about 8-10% of the new car market as a whole. Over half of that aren't part of the extreme group we (or other enthusiast sites) represent.
Um, are you saying they shouldn't base the name of this product on the opinion of the 8-10% of the new car market that are performance car buyers when the car in question is a performance car? I'm guessing the target market for this car are the folks out there that very much remember what "Chevelle SS" means. I'm 53 years old, and I certainly don't associate "Chevelle" with "Chevette" in the least. JMHO, of course.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM

I hope Chevy gives it a good name. I have no doubt that any VF based V8 RWD Chevy sedan will be great. But Chevelle is quite a name to live up to.

The Monaro was a great car but when Pontiac put on GTO and it didn't have a hood vents or didn't look like what people thought a GTO should look like sales suffered.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM

Guy can you clear something up for me--

The new Commodore is going to be the VF.
The dates I remember reading-the VF seems to be coming later than the SS?
Is the US getting the VF or the VE?
I thought the VE was getting the DI/Gen 5?

SO to sum it up--are we getting the VE or the VF???
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM

GM to make first sports car with SS nameplate | Reuters
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Ya know there hasn't ever been a "Lumina SS" in NASCAR..

Although 2 quickies come to mind..

Lumina SS for a limited production, low options run would be a little bit of an oxymoron since that package will likely be THE ONLY package..

And the marketing teams "Name never used in NASCAR" plot will look Laaaaaaaaaameeeeeeee
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by jdhommert
Guy can you clear something up for me--

The new Commodore is going to be the VF.
The dates I remember reading-the VF seems to be coming later than the SS?
Is the US getting the VF or the VE?
I thought the VE was getting the DI/Gen 5?

SO to sum it up--are we getting the VE or the VF???
We're getting the VF which is a refresh of the VE. GM was pretty much waiting for the VF to come out. Holden is not going to build VE and VF vehicles at the same time.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 PM

I really wish the marketing guys at GM could come up with a better name for the car. Makes no sense to name the car after a designated trim level.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM

C'mon Guy, Lumina is about the last name I would give this car. You're worried someone would confuse Chevelle/Chevette yet you think Lumina is viable? I don't care who you are, that name conjurs up memories of Dustbuster minivans and/or lousy FWD snore-sedans. Nobody cares what the Saudis think of it.

Monte Carlo, ok maybe, except you run into the whole "MC never had four doors" camp. Chevelle, or Commodore would be fine.

Quick Reply: The VF Commodore