Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The VF Commodore

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Re: The VF Commodore

Originally Posted by jg95z28
GM never said the new car won't carry the name of a former NASCAR entry, only that it would be new to the "current" Chevy line-up and not Impala or Malibu. Sure there are others as well, including Biscayne and Belair, but I doubt either of those is coming back.

From '74-79 the Chevys were mainly Monte Carlos. Chevelles were used more in the late '60s, the Monte Carlos pretty much took over by 1971. That's not to say the Chevelles may not of been used in smaller venues, heck even a Camaro or two crept into Grand National road races.
What about Monza or Laguna?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Don't forget gang, there already was a Chevrolet Commodore... albeit not in North America, however the car does exist.

I only hope the new Chevy Commodore can live up to the image of the original...

Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM

Is that a Cavalier with a different nose?
Sure looks like it.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Is that a Cavalier with a different nose?
Sure looks like it.
South African built Chevrolet Commodore. Based on the Opel Commodore. (Which also gave birth to the Holden version.) Sold form 1978-88.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM

I definitely see what Hujass is talking about. Probably just the styling DNA of the time, but the wagon especially bears a strong resemblance to a Cavalier.

Personally, I'd rather they use something other than Caprice or Commodore. Neither of those names do much for me. Caprice is old fashioned sounding. I think of that as a "formal" vehicle. It's OK for the PPV, but I don't like it for the civilian version. Commodore I just think is kind of goofy. I don't have any fleets to command. I do have a commode door in my house, though. I'm not against Chevelle, though I don't know what the thoughts would be on that name outside of enthusiast circles. No matter what they call it, as long as the car is cool I can live with whatever the name is.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Holden and Chevrolet will see their line pretty much combined globally. The Cruze is already also made in Holden's plant in Australia, and it's also sold as Holden Cruze in Australia and New Zealand.

When GM-NA stopped selling the B-body cars in the Middle East, Holden stepped in for Chevrolet with their V-cars, Lumna and Caprice.

We already have the Caprice name here........

this tickles my fancy quite a bit...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 AM

I just hope all the online sites that are reporting rumors it will be called Chevy SS are wrong. SS and Super Sport need to remain a performance trim level designation and not become its own model. Then again, GM already made the Malibu into its own model, so who knows.

The question remains, if the Holden Commodore becomes the Chevy SS or SuperSport in North America, what does the Camaro SS then become?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Well we already had a Chevy SS...R, where there was a very distinct separation of the SS and R in the decal.

If this will be a low volume high performance model I don't see an issue with calling it SS.

Last edited by ImportedRoomate; 04-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM

But for that one the "R" stood for roadster.

If the Chevy VF Commodore is a low volume high priced model like the SS-R or GTO were, I don't forsee a long future for it.

I am hoping its available as a base with the LFX 3.6L V6 with an optional L99 or LS3 6.2L V8... and they sell tons!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM

CHEVELLE or bust!!!!

Caprice is lame.... Commodore is cheesy.... Lumina is just flat out stupid.... And SS sedan is a cop out.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by FUTURE_OF_GM
CHEVELLE or bust!!!!

Caprice is lame.... Commodore is cheesy.... Lumina is just flat out stupid.... And SS sedan is a cop out.
Beware. The whining and bitching over a 4 door Charger was pretty bad. This will be worse.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I just hope all the online sites that are reporting rumors it will be called Chevy SS are wrong. SS and Super Sport need to remain a performance trim level designation and not become its own model. Then again, GM already made the Malibu into its own model, so who knows.

The question remains, if the Holden Commodore becomes the Chevy SS or SuperSport in North America, what does the Camaro SS then become?
The rumor of the "Chevy SS" name is just that... a rumor.

It's far and away too early to know what the actual name of the car will be... if you doubt that, see the "Z28-ZL1" 11th hour name change. Anyone professing to actually "know" really doesn't.

My "hunch" is either Commodore, or Lumina,... or even Monte Carlo. Here's why.

1. All three names have an extensive racing history.

2. Luminas dominated NASCAR and Monte Carlos were still running around NASCAR circuits here just 9 years ago, so everyone who'd potentially buy one still has that memory fresh in their minds.

3. GM's original North American Zeta program included the Monte Carlo as a counterpart sports sedan to the Grand Prix while Caprice was on the larger Zeta to be shared with Cadillac and Buick (funny how close tthings still turned out... minus the Zeta chassis).

4. This car is going to be roughly the same size as the new Impala, so it's going to be marketed as a sports sedan. Commodore, Lumina, and Monte Carlo pretty much writes their own marketing.

Although I'll give a nod to "Chevelle" as another potential name, (what PacerX used to call) my "spidy sense" tells me there's not much to support that other than nostalgia. The last time the Chevelle name was used was 35 years ago on an entry level, stripped down, below base midsize Chevy. Finally, if you aren't very familiar with cars of the 60s, and you walk into a Chevy showroom, seeing a car named "Chevelle" is going to seem as corny and cheesy as seeing a car named "Chevette".

The car's called Commodore in Australia. It was the Lumina in the Middle East. My money is on one of those 2, with a hedged bet on Monte Carlo.

I wouldn't put much on Chevelle.

SS (with no noun in front of it) isn't even something I'd wager on.

Last edited by guionM; 04-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Related subject, this is the last changes on the Commodore before the redesign next year incorperating Chevrolet influences.

SS, Berlina, & Calais.

If the rims look familiar, they should. They are originally from the G8 GXP.

And Holden's Cruze, if you've never seen one:

They actually make it at their plant with their Zeta cars. Separate line, of course.

Last edited by guionM; 04-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
The rumor of the "Chevy SS" name is just that... a rumor.
{snip}
My "hunch" is either Commodore, or Lumina,... or even Monte Carlo.
I agree for the same reasons you mentioned. The only thing to make note of is the fact that Monte Carlo was never available as a 4-door. However, look what happened to the Dodge Charger.

That said, based on the potential styling and the fact that its going to run in NASCAR, my personal choice of the three would be Monte Carlo.

A name I'd also consider returning to the Chevrolet line-up: Biscayne
(I just like the way it rolls off the tongue.)

Chevelle would be appropriate (there actually were more Chevelle 4-door sedans and wagons sold than 2-door hard-tops); however it sounds too old fashioned, as does Bel Air and Caprice for that matter.

I'd also be open to something completely new, like Chicane, or ???

I'm very interested to see what the pricing ends up being for the Chevy RWD sedan. Unless its something ridiculously stupid, I'm seriously going to consider it for my next new car purchase.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

I still don't think it will be Lumina or Monte Carlo.

We know that the new Impala won't be used in Sprint Cup. Some exec from Chevy (can't remember his name) said so.
And NASCAR (or was it Chevy?) said that the new Sprint Cup car will be a nameplate that has never been raced before in NASCAR.

Quick Reply: The VF Commodore