Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Re: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

mmmmm.....tasty

Old 10-04-2006, 09:24 PM

They day I see ford and GM merge is the day I'm done buying new cars.

The day I see a LSX-series motor in a mustang from the factory is the day someone dies.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:53 AM

Fastest street Fox body around these parts (at least that I've seen) is powered by a Rat and a TH-400.
Ummm... Well.... Errr.... Ohhh.

I guess to each their own!
I readily admit that it is easier to build a GM small-block on a budget... parts availability, cost of the parts, etc favor it for sure.
I don't think a 305 or 350 is any easier to work on than a 302 or 351 - as long as we're talking older units with carbs or the early EFI days. No gains there - just your preference.

I have seen a Factory Five Cobra kit car with a 350 in it - that was getting some stares at a local car show.

Back on topic - I was thinking about the Bullitt's position in the lineup, and staying away from forced induction. Would Ford do that to keep weight down, price down, or open the door for more n/a engine offerings?
I vote weight.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:14 AM

It's funny how times change.

It wasn't all that long ago that Ford's Windsor engines were far and away cheaper & easier to work on than GM's V8. To boot, Ford almost seemed to be giving away engine computer codes in every box of serial, while GM held on to theirs as if it was codes to nuclear weapons.

Today, I'd hesitate to do anything to a Ford cammer, even though there's plenty of parts for them. The engines also look like big blocks next to an LSx.

Someone posted a link to the engines side by side here some time ago. The difference in size was an eyeopener.

Anyone still have the pics & post them here?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
It wasn't all that long ago that Ford's Windsor engines were far and away cheaper & easier to work on than GM's V8. To boot, Ford almost seemed to be giving away engine computer codes in every box of serial, while GM held on to theirs as if it was codes to nuclear weapons.
Ford opening the door to tuners through the EEC-IV computer was a huge reason Mustang sales took off too. We could see this openly with development of the Oak Tree program for the S197 cars. I think Ford was just able to see that this is where tuning is going, so "embrace it rather than fight it".

I admit the newer Ford engines are so complex they are intimidating. Ever change the plugs on a blown Cobra engine? Try it sometime. I kinda wish they would go back to a more simple pushrod design with fewer moving parts just for ease of maintenance and simplicity. But on the other hand, being able to put 87 octane in a true high-performance engine is a nice feature.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:28 AM

The vast majority of the truly fast Mustangs have Ford power simply because the vast majority of the truly fast Mustangs run in Ford Mustang Racing series that require Ford engines.

That said....an LSx in a Fox-body Mustang is quite intriguing....I thought about it myself when I had my 88.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
I admit the newer Ford engines are so complex they are intimidating. Ever change the plugs on a blown Cobra engine? Try it sometime. I kinda wish they would go back to a more simple pushrod design with fewer moving parts just for ease of maintenance and simplicity. But on the other hand, being able to put 87 octane in a true high-performance engine is a nice feature.
The funny thing is that the meat&potatos GM truck engine exceeds the power of the GT, running on regular fuel. That with a valvetrain that has the DOD. 315hp/338tq in the latest 5.3. Of course, so does the Nissan truck engine, with about the same power (317 I think) and a mountain of torque (I recall around 380). Too bad (or maybe it's a good thing for the local boys) that Nissan can't put this into a 350Z (or 560Z).
Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
The funny thing is that the meat&potatos GM truck engine exceeds the power of the GT, running on regular fuel. That with a valvetrain that has the DOD. 315hp/338tq in the latest 5.3. Of course, so does the Nissan truck engine, with about the same power (317 I think) and a mountain of torque (I recall around 380). Too bad (or maybe it's a good thing for the local boys) that Nissan can't put this into a 350Z (or 560Z).
never say never, i would never have thought an ls7 would fit in a solstic
do i see it happening no but you never know
Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
I admit the newer Ford engines are so complex they are intimidating. Ever change the plugs on a blown Cobra engine?
The plugs are located under the coils and the coil covers along the center of the cylinderhead aren't they? I figured changing the plugs on a 4v mod motor would be easier than the 2v, which isn't really that hard.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by CrabhartZ28
They day I see ford and GM merge is the day I'm done buying new cars.

The day I see a LSX-series motor in a mustang from the factory is the day someone dies.
Muhahahahahahhahahahaha.... one of these days, your gonna be in prison and im gonna be dead! Cept I ain't [censored] up any mustang with a GM motor. It's gonna be the other way around, I wanna find a nice Chevy II and put a mod motor in it, backing the engine up with a nice 5 spd and 8.8 rear.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
The plugs are located under the coils and the coil covers along the center of the cylinderhead aren't they? I figured changing the plugs on a 4v mod motor would be easier than the 2v, which isn't really that hard.
The earlier 4 valve engines are fairly easy to work on. I have no clue about the newer ones though, haven't messed with one.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
It's gonna be the other way around, I wanna find a nice Chevy II and put a mod motor in it, backing the engine up with a nice 5 spd and 8.8 rear.
I've always wanted to swap a Pontiac motor into a 3rd gen Firebird. I know, pretty freaky.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I've always wanted to swap a Pontiac motor into a 3rd gen Firebird. I know, pretty freaky.
301 turbo?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
301 turbo?
That would be interesting. Or, a T/A 6.6. It would have to have a 2nd gen shaker scoop though. I saw an '84 Trans Am in the '80's with one, and I remember thinking it looked pretty badass.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yeah, yer a real wierdo

Actually thats a kinda neat idea, sorta modern - retro, like this

SBF in a S197

Quick Reply: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...