Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:49 PM

If you're going for speed, it's not your car...so what...

Bullitts weren't all that fast, but they were one of the best all around mustangs ever made. Since they were lighter than the Cobras and Mach's, they were not that much slower (and braking was better). Handling was quite good as well, especially when compared to the regular GT. It's just worlds above a plain old GT.

...and they have a character about them....a real personality distinct from those other cars and more personality than 99% of the cars out there. Something very different than GM's typical simplistic slow/faster/fastest model segmentation where there isn't really any personality difference, just different levels of it.

The package price was $3750, but that was over a base GT. Compared to a loaded GT, the premium was about $1500. Not bad for:

*aluminum gas cap
*car was lowerd about 3/4 to 1" - it was so low to the ground that it violated Ford's corporate design guidelines
*Subframe connectors
*upgraded Tokico shocks and struts
*different springs
*unique freer flowing stainless exhaust - rolled tips and tuned to sound like a 68 mustang.
*underdrive pullies
*different sway bars
*aluminum intake manifold (not plastic like GT's)
*cobra twin throttle body
*Cobra brakes with red calipers and engraved ponies on the fronts
*fog lamp delete
*available unique color
*spoiler delete
*blanked out side scoops
*unique c-pillars
*unique c-pillar glass
*smoothed out rocker panels
*blacked out trim ring around mustang (front grille)
*cobra seats with retro style stitching
*unique 1968 inspired gauge cluster
*aluminum look door lock soldiers
*aluminum trim ring around shifter
*aluminum shifter ball
*aluminum sill plates
*aluminum pedals
*clear coated engine bay (other than Bullitt, only the cobra had this)
*Bullitt serial number decal in engine bay, and hidden under interior.
*Bullitt badging on rear
*Total production stopped at 5582 units (one year only).
*I'm sure there's more but that's all I can remember

I'm 5 years in, and I still like it as much as I bought it, even if the transmission sucks.

Last edited by WERM; 09-26-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 PM

Re: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

Bullitt's were not as fast as the Cobra. Bullitt's were maybe 1-2 mph faster than the GT on their best days. People forget that the '01 Cobra was capable of 105-106 MPH traps, a number no stock Bullitt has ever seen. Fastest one I have ever seen in person had trouble breaking 100 MPH traps.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:53 PM

it would be cool to see ford use an NA aluminum block 5.4 like the one used in australia. I believe they make 385 hp. give it a hood scoop like the mach 1 and a few other unique touches and it would be a cool car.

or they could resleeve the 5.4 block with 3.7" sleeves along with the 4.165" stroke crank. that would be a 358"
Old 09-27-2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
SOOoooo....
To everyone who has been chanting about getting weight down...
How would @360hp (naturally aspirated) in a car that is 300-400lbs lighter come across?

Just throwing some food for thought on the floor... feel free to kick it about.
20% more power than a Mustang GT in a car minimally heavier sounds great. It appeals more to me than the Shelby 500, which is just a bit too much.

Notice I say 20% more than the GT instead of 360, since the 300 in the GT are pretty healthy, and I want to make clear that I'm assuming you mean 360 that are as healthy as the GT's 300.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
20% more power than a Mustang GT in a car minimally heavier sounds great. It appeals more to me than the Shelby 500, which is just a bit too much.

Notice I say 20% more than the GT instead of 360, since the 300 in the GT are pretty healthy, and I want to make clear that I'm assuming you mean 360 that are as healthy as the GT's 300.
This is a likely scenario... perhaps the most likely in fact.
Bullitt will certainly not be put on the lots as a top-dog performer, but it will be a cruiser/bruiser that offers elevated performance. Likely to be a corner-carver more than a 1/4-mile unit - as was the last one.

As for power rating... I can assure you that Ford won't miss the mark. The new standards make it harder for any company to pull a fast one anyways.

With the 05/06 GTs, I think many are sort-of "fooled" about the power they seem to have. Lot's of the "umph" you feel in the seat of your pants is coming from taller gearing in the rear axle and in the tranny. 3.55's in the rear and a 2.95:1 1st gear can make a huge difference over a 2.73 or 3.08 rears and a 2.35:1 1st gear. The new cars get-up pretty well - no doubt, but good gearing can change the feel of any given power source alot.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
You said:

"benchmark of performance"

Since when is a "benchmark of performance" decidedly slower than it's direct competition?

If you want to talk about style, fine. If you think they were keen-looking, well, fine...

But if you're going to claim they were a "benchmark of performance", I'd suggest more oxygen intake.
OK - fair enough.
When I was writing the original post, I was in a mindset of "Mustangs", not "every other car in the world". My fault for not being more clear - your point is well-taken.

The Bullitt did in fact elevate the bar for MUSTANGS in performance.

"With some mild modifications, including a Lentech-prepared AOD transmission, the car had run in the 10.70s at close to 124 mph. Upon further inspection, we noticed a familiar looking intake manifold sitting on top of the engine--the hyped-up Ford Bullitt design."
"All of the guy's were happy with their horsepower achievements but it was at nearby Old Bridge Township Raceway Park that the Bullitt intake really flexed its muscles. Vaccaro handed over the keys to LaRocca and he proceeded to blast down the quarter-mile in 10.32-seconds at a speed of 129 mph. (Remember, the previous best was in the 10.70s)."
Full Article

Brakes were far better than stock GT/V8 cars too...
"Performance Parts' Bullitt brake kits ($395.99) feature new, OEM Ford parts that are the same as the standard equipment on the '01 Mustang Bullitt. Thirteen-inch Brembo nondirectional front rotors and red, galloping-horse calipers are the highlight of this setup. The rear rotors are upgraded to 12 inches in diameter. "
"Trust us--the Bullitt brakes grab well and, with the ABS our 'Stang is equipped with, the 60-to-zero stopping was quite smooth. The 13-inch front and 12-inch rear binders brought the GT to a halt in approximately 120 feet each time. "
Full Article

In speed, braking, handling, styling, and several other areas, the Bullitt set itself apart from the common V8 Mustangs, and it broke ground for the upcoming Mach 1 and other SE models with huge success. Even today - 7 years later - many Mustang guys are buying FRPP parts that were original equipment for Bullitts to enhance the performance of their '98-'04 Mustangs.
That's what I was trying to say.

So yes, the LS1 cars may have been "faster".
So was a C5. The Cobra. The TT/TA. A bunch of other cars and even the old Boss 351.
My mind was in a smaller world during the writing, and I failed to put that into print.
My bad - I'm man enough to fess up to it.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by scott9050
Bullitt's were not as fast as the Cobra. Bullitt's were maybe 1-2 mph faster than the GT on their best days. People forget that the '01 Cobra was capable of 105-106 MPH traps, a number no stock Bullitt has ever seen. Fastest one I have ever seen in person had trouble breaking 100 MPH traps.
Bullitts weren't really intended for dedicated 1/4-mile work either - at least not like the Mach 1 cars were. Bullitts were better all-around street cars IMO.

And Cobras were more expensive too!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:21 AM

So yes, the LS1 cars may have been "faster".
So was a C5. The Cobra. The TT/TA. A bunch of other cars and even the old Boss 351.
My mind was in a smaller world during the writing, and I failed to put that into print.
My bad - I'm man enough to fess up to it.
No sweat, life is good.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:06 PM

I've learned more about Bullitts (original & SN95 versions) in the past few days than I have the past few years.

I just bought a copy of the current Motor Trend Classic magazine.

I'll give you one guess what car is on the cover.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:34 PM

SOOoooo....
To everyone who has been chanting about getting weight down...
How would @360hp (naturally aspirated) in a car that is 300-400lbs lighter come across?
Wouldn't 360 HP in a car that's 3600-3700 lbs make it slower than a GTO?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Wouldn't 360 HP in a car that's 3600-3700 lbs make it slower than a GTO?
Maybe you are thinking about "lighter than a GT500" (curb @3900lbs)...
I'm thinking lighter than a regular GT...

Curb weight on a 2006 Mustang GT can be as low as 3450 (if you don't get the shaker sound system with all the amps and speakers, the deluxe interior package, etc.). For a good average though, take 3500lbs. Now if I can shave another 200-300 off that, and have 360hp naturally aspirated - I think that's got potential to be very stealthy. And in the tradition of the last few years - blower-friendly - you could have a wicked street ride. (Personally, I'd keep the blower off such a car. Keeping it stock has more appeal to me. Get a common GT and mod that to high heaven if you like to go that way.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the GTO's curbing at about 3750 or 3800lbs anyways? So in theory, the Bullitt could be 40hp short, but as much as 600lbs lighter. We all know what that can do.

I said over a year ago that I expect to see Ford put more resources into getting weight under control - both total weight and weight distribution. When the guys from Team Mustang came to Nashville, they were discussing weight quite a bit. There are already signs of getting the distribution better with the S197 chassis as compared to the SN95. Wheels further apart and closer to corners, etc. For the next revision of the S197, I certainly hope to see some weight savings for sure.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 AM

Maybe you are thinking about "lighter than a GT500" (curb @3900lbs)...
I'm thinking lighter than a regular GT...

Curb weight on a 2006 Mustang GT can be as low as 3450 (if you don't get the shaker sound system with all the amps and speakers, the deluxe interior package, etc.). For a good average though, take 3500lbs. Now if I can shave another 200-300 off that, and have 360hp naturally aspirated - I think that's got potential to be very stealthy. And in the tradition of the last few years - blower-friendly - you could have a wicked street ride. (Personally, I'd keep the blower off such a car. Keeping it stock has more appeal to me. Get a common GT and mod that to high heaven if you like to go that way.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the GTO's curbing at about 3750 or 3800lbs anyways? So in theory, the Bullitt could be 40hp short, but as much as 600lbs lighter. We all know what that can do.

I said over a year ago that I expect to see Ford put more resources into getting weight under control - both total weight and weight distribution. When the guys from Team Mustang came to Nashville, they were discussing weight quite a bit. There are already signs of getting the distribution better with the S197 chassis as compared to the SN95. Wheels further apart and closer to corners, etc. For the next revision of the S197, I certainly hope to see some weight savings for sure.
Weight control as performance improvements was a subject John Colletti brought up around the same time Ford decided against going with the new Lightning. If he was speaking of new actual efforts that started at the time, then perhaps now is the time that it would start bearing fruit.

BTW: GTO weighed 3750 and the new Mustang GT bases at about 3460, you you nailed both weights dead on.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I've learned more about Bullitts (original & SN95 versions) in the past few days than I have the past few years.

I just bought a copy of the current Motor Trend Classic magazine.

I'll give you one guess what car is on the cover.
Are you trying to say Ford's marketing department is working overtime....
or are you saying "as luck would have it"...

Did that mag tell you that one of the original Bullitt Mustangs used in the movie still exists, is "unrestored", and the guy in Cali that owns it has refused 7-digits for it?

Did the rag say anything about the resurrection of another Bullitt movie for release in 2008? Who will play Frank in the movie? (Brad Pitt was given the opportunity 2 years ago, but the project got shelved before filming even began. Steve McQueen's son refused the part, but was supposed to act as consulting director.)

Did reading the article influence your feel for these cars any? as far as respect for their differences... collectability... uniqueness?
I personally find myself strangely attracted to the Bullitt cars... they are just different from all other Mustangs.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 AM

Ah, I thought you meant ligher than the Cobra. Is 3200 lbs even possible on a pony car now-a-days? That's about fox body GT weight, and lighter than a thirdgen.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:42 AM

i dont know shaving 200-300 pounds off a cars weight isnt an easy task. at least in the respect of keeping it street legal and people actually wanting it and making it cost effective. its not like making drag racer and just ripping every thing out. but the way you put it i proudpony i bet it would make it a desirable car among the muscle car crowed. especially figuring the weights of the new muscle cars.

Quick Reply: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...