Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 PM

Re: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...

Originally Posted by guionM
Come on Werm, your Bullitt will be 7 years old then.

You know you'll want another.

Awesome car, by the way!
Yeah, I'm sure I'll want another, but I don't think I can afford one. I saw the whole marriage/housepoor/baby thing coming and was determined not to be "one of those guys" that gave up cool cars only to rediscover them in some kind of midlife crisis. So, as soon as I saw the future shaping up, I bought a car I could live with for a loonnnng time. The Bullitt was it, and my first and only new car. So now, even though I can't afford or justify another toy, mine is paid for, and I'm not giving it up until I can get my Elise or Z06 even it it takes me another 10 years.

I just wish I had time to drive it. I have 26,000 miles on it, and put on about 1,000 a year.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by WERM
Yeah, I'm sure I'll want another, but I don't think I can afford one. I saw the whole marriage/housepoor/baby thing coming and was determined not to be "one of those guys" that gave up cool cars only to rediscover them in some kind of midlife crisis. So, as soon as I saw the future shaping up, I bought a car I could live with for a loonnnng time. The Bullitt was it, and my first and only new car. So now, even though I can't afford or justify another toy, mine is paid for, and I'm not giving it up until I can get my Elise or Z06 even it it takes me another 10 years.

I just wish I had time to drive it. I have 26,000 miles on it, and put on about 1,000 a year.
That car will be a VERY desireable peice in a few more years - especially with you keeping miles under control.

You have done well Grasshopper... very well.

And don't be distressed about another DHG Mustang coming out... it does nothing to diminish yours. You have 1 of 2565 and that is that.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 AM

"Only" 340-360hp.....Good grief!

A dead f-body, and still people are completely clueless on the issue of horsepower's importance. Some things never change.
Couldn't agree more... not worth typing at this point.

Guessing it's probally going to be something familiar. Quicker than the GT, not as quick as the GT500.

I'd guess the blown 4.6 from the last Cobra.

WARNING: If that's the case, and the price is right, it's going to be hard not jumping ship.
Well, I won't tell you to put on your life preserver, but I will ask you to back away from the handrail!

Turns out the Romeo guys and girls are not as busy as they used to be when the Cobra and L engines were both being run simultaneously down the niche line, and all the tooling is there... etc. It gives one a thought to ponder, doesn't it?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The big question for me on engines is, will it be Mod motor or Hurricane/Boss?
2008 Bullitt will be MOD-based powerplant.

Sorry to dissappoint - me too a little bit, but Ford simply won't have the Hurricane ready by mid 2007 when tooling/testing/production are being geared-up for the Bullitt. Honestly, that's a mere 9-10 months away already... and that's not long for a car company.

A few tidbits to chew on...
The following is quoted from infamous Ford interrogator Robert Lane...
"We cannot get into specifics, however, prototypes have an aluminum block paired with GT “40” variant cylinder heads, topped with special valve covers and a unique intake manifold."

This indicates that a blower is not on top, and an aluminum block also tends to steer away from factory iron lungs as with the Terminator cars.

SOOoooo....
To everyone who has been chanting about getting weight down...
How would @360hp (naturally aspirated) in a car that is 300-400lbs lighter come across?

Just throwing some food for thought on the floor... feel free to kick it about.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
On another note.....will the "Boss" name be coming back on a special model?
SSSHHHHhhhhh!!!!
Don't start such rumors until the 2008 models are on the lots.
You'll steal the thunder from Fords marketing group!

If there are 2 we can see, one must l00k into 9 places - and you will see them!

PS - that was the worst clue I've ever given.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
When the Bullitt came out, I thought it was one of the sharpest looking cars out there. The spoiler delete, those gorgeous 17" wheels, just all the cosmetic mods - interior and exterior, made it so cool.

I hope the next one is just as impressive.
You know, that was the first SE car straight from Ford for several years. They used the SVT Cobras to drum interest between 1994 and the 2001 Bullitt. The last SE cars before the Bullitt were (arguably) the Indy Pace Car from 1994 - which was a Cobra, and the 1996 Mystic Cobra.

I was particularly fond of the Bullitt for it's aggressive styling at the time. Nobody had aluminum gas caps. Aluminum ball shifters. The guages were unique, the interior... heck, they were just different.

The Bullitt also set a new benchmark for performance, and debuted a lot of parts that became hot-spots for tuners and modifiers alike. The intake and throttlebody were hot items that are still sought after today by 4.6 modders.

Bottom line is the cars brought a lot to the party, but did it in a stylish and attractive package. They were not gaudy or flamboyant, but they were different enough to get your attention.

Cool rides.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
The Bullitt also set a new benchmark for performance, and debuted a lot of parts that became hot-spots for tuners and modifiers alike. The intake and throttlebody were hot items that are still sought after today by 4.6 modders.
:
The very first kill I got in my spanking new '01 SS?

That's right... a Bullit.

Relatively even through first, then I just strolled away... Wouldn't exactly have called that car a "benchmark for performance".

"Tasty snack" might be more accurate.

Last edited by PacerX; 09-26-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
The very first kill I got in my spanking new '01 SS?

That's right... a Bullit.

Relatively even through first, then I just strolled away... Wouldn't exactly have called that car a "benchmark for performance".

"Tasty snack" might be more accurate.

Everything you own is the best ever. All hail the speed god.

I can pull out a bone stock 1971 Boss 351 that slapped-down a published 13.1 @ 108... on sh1++y gas and bias ply tires no less.
Where does that put your '01 on your personal benchmark list?

I'm like guionM - WHY does everyone have to boil all of the uniqueness, specialty, design, charisma, spirit, and sould out of every car, reducing it to a horsepower figure or a 1/4-mile timeslip?

You see, not only do you negate the idea that the car was unique, collectible, desireable, and anything other than "something to race", but even IF it were just a "race thing", you still give no clue if the other driver was a 16 year-old girl, disabled, blind in one eye, running 87 octane, and on tires that are harder than my leather-soled wingtips.
So big deal - you beat a Bullitt.

You are a hp-head. Your opinions on design, detail, and related genre are extremely limited and are given very little credibility by me towards anything GM or Ford might do - except produce faster times, which WON'T sell many cars in the marketplace. (Yes - even GM products, because I personally think you could ruin a great car like the C6 and even the Z06 by making it something it was NOT intended to be.)

Thanks for contributing to the post count though.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM

I can pull out a bone stock 1971 Boss 351 that slapped-down a published 13.1 @ 108... on sh1++y gas and bias ply tires no less.
Where does that put your '01 on your personal benchmark list?
Faster than that Boss.

I'm like guionM - WHY does everyone have to boil all of the uniqueness, specialty, design, charisma, spirit, and sould out of every car, reducing it to a horsepower figure or a 1/4-mile timeslip?
You said:

"benchmark of performance"

Since when is a "benchmark of performance" decidedly slower than it's direct competition?

If you want to talk about style, fine. If you think they were keen-looking, well, fine...

But if you're going to claim they were a "benchmark of performance", I'd suggest more oxygen intake.

You are a hp-head. blar... blar... blar...
Yes.

I am.

Faster is better is the "benchmark of performance" area. It is objective and quantifiable.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 PM

SSSHHHHhhhhh!!!!
Don't start such rumors until the 2008 models are on the lots.
You'll steal the thunder from Fords marketing group!

If there are 2 we can see, one must l00k into 9 places - and you will see them!

PS - that was the worst clue I've ever given.

DuuhhhhWwwwhat?

Will we see hugger colors?

This is the first muscle car I have had experience around as a kid. A good friend of mine and his Dad restored it back in my early teens.

Also the reason I got into Camaros. I didnt want to copy him and get a Mustang.

Last edited by stars1010; 09-26-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 PM

Bottom line is the cars brought a lot to the party, but did it in a stylish and attractive package. They were not gaudy or flamboyant, but they were different enough to get your attention.

Cool rides.
I'll agree with everything but the "benchmark" designation as well. That's not a demerit. I don't think it was what the car was about. There were faster Mustangs on the same lot at the time.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:08 PM

What did bullets cost when they came out a few years ago? Because don't they not have much done to them when compared to a regular GT.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by cmg06s
What did bullets cost when they came out a few years ago? Because don't they not have much done to them when compared to a regular GT.
HEY!

They had an aluminum gas tank cover...
Old 09-26-2006, 01:34 PM

Meh.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by cmg06s
To boil it down to the lowest common denominator, it was a dressed up GT. Unique seats, shifter, the forementioned "gas cap", and a few other goodies.

According to Ford, Bullits had only a slight mod to the engine. However, one car mag (Popular Hot Rodding??) did a test with a GT, a Bullitt and a Cobra, and the Bullitt came very close to the Cobra's times, indicating that there's more to the Bullitt's GT engine tuning than Ford let on.

If I'm not mistaken, Bullitts cost only slightly more than a loaded GT coupe. $28-29K.

Expanding on my incredulous reaction to the feller who made the disparaging remark about the new Bullitt having "only" 340-360hp, the point to these Mustangs is that they become special intrest cars that keep the entire line exciting, and become instant conversation pieces at Mustang gatherings.

A long time ago, I remarked at how there were so many Camaro people who seemed pretty ridiculous always talking about how Camaros had more horsepower, were faster, were quicker, were all that..... yet the car was not only dead, but it was outsold by Mustang by margins approaching four to one. If I my football team lost to another team by a four to one margin, I'd seem pretty silly talking about how great my quarterback is.

Point is this, the game is to sell cars....period! Or at the very least, do whatever's necessary to keep your car from being killed off. Ford has been doing it the past number of years offering a car people want, and doing special packages to keep intrest in them. Something I hope GM does with the next Camaro.

Lots of horsepower is nice, but framing every single thing that comes along in horsepower shows that nothing has been learned from the last time.

Will the last Bullitt outrun a LS1 SS? Probally not. It isn't meant to go hunting the fastest car from the competitor. Try a supercharged Cobra. But as Pacer indicated, it will hold it's own, and at less than 3,000 made, it's going to be a special intrest car for years to come.

If you want to call it a fancy GT, that's fine. The GTO Judge was nothing more than a decal package (it's engines were the same as available on every other GTO of that year). People bought Camaro SS with fewer differences over a Z28 & higher production numbers than the limited edition Bullitt, so again nothing new here.

Quick Reply: 2008 Bullitt, and a new engine...